[comp.sys.atari.st] Delphi/GEnie - not such a bad deal

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (09/05/90)

In article <1990Sep5.101244.7077@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:

> I guess I don't see why none of these services (i.e. CIS,
> Delphi, or Genie) has offered the users the option to choose
> one option or the other, i.e. join the new system, or stay on
> the old way.  It seems to me that would make everyone happy.
> --Gerry

My reading of the GEnie offer is that you -do- have a choice.  If you prefer
to pay for connect time to the services offered at the relatively low fee, you
are most welcome to do so.

Likewise with Delphi.  Their 20/20 plan appears to be quite nice for those of
us who were paying lots of $ for connect time, and on-line charges for those
who don't use the system that often is reflected in that structure.

The idea is to have a -steady- source of income, regardless of whether that
income might sometimes be lower than peak usage in the past.  You can plan
budgets with a steady income; you can plan nothing if you get paid by the hour
and are 'employed' on a relatively intermittent schedule.  (Which is what the
current system was like for the on-line services).

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep5.094541.1@simvax.labmed.umn.edu> davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu writes:
>In article <1990Sep5.101244.7077@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>
>> I guess I don't see why none of these services (i.e. CIS,
>> Delphi, or Genie) has offered the users the option to choose
>> one option or the other, i.e. join the new system, or stay on
>> the old way.  It seems to me that would make everyone happy.
>> --Gerry
>
>My reading of the GEnie offer is that you -do- have a choice.  If you prefer
>to pay for connect time to the services offered at the relatively low fee, you
>are most welcome to do so.
>
>Likewise with Delphi.  Their 20/20 plan appears to be quite nice for those of
>us who were paying lots of $ for connect time, and on-line charges for those
>who don't use the system that often is reflected in that structure.
>
>The idea is to have a -steady- source of income, regardless of whether that
>income might sometimes be lower than peak usage in the past.  You can plan
>budgets with a steady income; you can plan nothing if you get paid by the hour
>and are 'employed' on a relatively intermittent schedule.  (Which is what the
>current system was like for the on-line services).
>David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu
I'm sorry to say this, David, but your information is not
correct.  Your posting gave me pause to think that maybe I was
incorrect in thinking that one HAD to join one of these "pay
per month" plans...so I called both Delphi and Genie today.
As I said...you are wrong...no one will be allowed to continue
their memebership as it has been for so long...you must join
and pay each month!  Delphi has two different plans:  $20 for
20 of connect time each month, or approximately $6 per month
which gives you one free hour each month and then each
additional hour is also about $6 (this is a reduction from
their current connect charge).
Also, after hearing some people on this net explain that maybe
one would save $$ in the long run, I was beginning to think
that MIGHT be true...until, that is, I read Dave Ritchie's
post (#17464) which states that NO personal computer RT would
be included in the monthly fee.  This is probably 98% of my
connect time, if not more.  I usually go to the AtariRT or the
GadgetsRT, and that is about it.  When I called Genie the
other day, a representative told me that all BBSs would be
included in the monthly charge.  When I asked if this included
computer BBSs, he went on to explain that within computer BBSs
there are software libraries and regular BBSs...and that while
the libraries would not be free, the BBSs would
be------------------------WRONG.  Dave Ritchie is correct, I
called Genie back today, and this rep confirmed that NO part
of any personal computer BBS would be part of the charge.
So, I am grateful to the discussion and discussants on this
net so far...but it looks more and more like there is no real
reason to stay, just to subsidize the other users.
This leads me back to my suggestion (repeated at the beginning
of this message):  if the new plans are going to be such a
benefit to the users, why not let the users choose which plan
is best for them (even if they should choose the "not so good"
plan of paying only for what you use).
--Gerry

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (09/06/90)

David Paschall-Zimbel writes:
>My reading of the GEnie offer is that you -do- have a choice.  If you prefer
>to pay for connect time to the services offered at the relatively low fee, y
>are most welcome to do so.

This is incorrect.  The announcement on GEnie says that you have until
the end of September to join.  If you don't agree to be billed the minimum
of $4.95/month by then, your account will be closed, and you will no
longer be allowed to access GEnie at all.

You MUST pay them $4.95 monthly, PLUS the regular $6.00/hr for machine
specific Roundtables, like the ST Roundtable.

Delphi on the other hand gives you a choice of being billed per hour with no
monthly minimum, or paying $20 a month for 20 hours of connect time.

BobR

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (09/07/90)

In article <33592@cup.portal.com>, Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
> David Paschall-Zimbel writes:
>>My reading of the GEnie offer is that you -do- have a choice.  If you prefer
>>to pay for connect time to the services offered at the relatively low fee, y
>>are most welcome to do so.
>
> This is incorrect.

Well, now that I've seen the GEnie magazine supplement, I must admit that there
will be the $4.95 charge.  The on-line message was a bit misleading in my
opinion (and that's the only thing I'd read...)

At the same time, the hobby RT's which one can access for free is
pretty impressive (if you're not a computer-freak).  I doubt that the majority
of people who log on to GEnie have access to USENET, so the science-fiction RT
would be pretty popular for non-rec.arts.sf-lovers readers.  Likewise, the
religion RT is fairly popular among non-talk.misc.religion readers.  If you
NEVER log onto GEnie for more than an hour a month at 2400 baud, I guess you'd
have some reason to complain.  But then again, if you're like me, and spend
several hours on-line per month, the 'charge' is well worthwhile.

> You MUST pay them $4.95 monthly, PLUS the regular $6.00/hr for machine
> specific Roundtables, like the ST Roundtable.

Of course, that NOW INCLUDES 2400 baud access for $6.00/hr vs $10.00/hr
previously.  (IE.  I now save money after the first hour's download).

> Delphi on the other hand gives you a choice of being billed per hour with no
> monthly minimum, or paying $20 a month for 20 hours of connect time.

I don't know -- perhaps if everyone were paying the 'true' costs of access to
comp.sys.atari.st there wouldn't be such a level of indignation.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (09/09/90)

The point is... if you, like most folks, are only using GEnie to access a
machine specific Roundtable, like the Atari RTs, the new changes amount to
an extra $4.95 per month that GEnie is going to get from you, in addition to
whatever you pay for your hourly downloads...

If the only reason you ever call GEnie is to go into the Religion RT, or the
Hobby RT, then maybe it's the best thing that ever happened to you.

Hmm...  200,000 members times $5...  I think I can guess who's making out
with these changes...

BobR

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (09/09/90)

In article <33691@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>The point is... if you, like most folks, are only using GEnie to access a
>machine specific Roundtable, like the Atari RTs, the new changes amount to
>an extra $4.95 per month that GEnie is going to get from you, in addition to
>whatever you pay for your hourly downloads...
In addition...if you miss a month or two, it is that much more
they're going to get from you than they would have otherwise.

>Hmm...  200,000 members times $5...  I think I can guess who's making out
>with these changes...
>
>BobR
Well, I believe this is going to be my last posting on this
topic (and the crowd breaks into a standing ovation!)...I've
now let Genie and Delphi know that I've quit, why I've quit,
and that they might find others who feel the same way.  I just
got Genie's monthly magazine the other day.  In it they say
the new service has something for everyone...I guess I'm not
a "one", because it certainly doesn't have anything for me.
Just one last thing...if you don't like their changes, be sure
to let them know (i.e. don't just let your account expire from
non-use and your not joining the new system)...maybe they will
figure out a way to accommodate everybody and still make
enough $$$$ to keep themselves happy.
--Gerry

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/09/90)

In article <33691@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>The point is... if you, like most folks, are only using GEnie to access a
>machine specific Roundtable, like the Atari RTs, the new changes amount to
>an extra $4.95 per month that GEnie is going to get from you, in addition to
>whatever you pay for your hourly downloads...

Yeah, that is the position I find myself in.  $4.95 seems like a
trivial amount, but over the course of the year it means you're
basically paying GEnie $60 extra in addition to what you're
normally paying for your connect time.  What a shame.  I've
been on GEnie since 1987...oh well...

>If the only reason you ever call GEnie is to go into the Religion RT, or the
>Hobby RT, then maybe it's the best thing that ever happened to you.

Yeah, but I think this is a rather small percentageof the people
don't you think?  What a scam..

>Hmm...  200,000 members times $5...  I think I can guess who's making out
>with these changes...

Yep...GEnie...

Gads, I'm going to go into withdrawal now when I lose my usenet
access soon...sigh....

>BobR

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |