[comp.sys.atari.st] Troubles!

kawakami@ocf.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (09/10/90)

Lately, my 520ST has been havng problems.  The screen begins to show garbage.
It seems like the memory is being corrupted because the mouse will be going
and the garbage is still on the screen.  What happens is the pixels in the
even columns (of a mono screen) get garbled.  The end result is a screen
of clean columns and dirty columns.  The dirty columns also show
bands of white and black.  I suspect this is a memory problem because the
garbage shows up on byte boundaries.  Could it be that one bank of SIMMs
is not being refreshed properly?

This is my system:
520ST circa 1986
JRI RAM+ with 2 meg simm (total 2.5 meg)
2 external floppies
1 hard drive w/ ICD controller
1 modem, 1 printer
Spectre GCR

Auto:
Fatspeed
Pinhead
Maccel2
ICDTime (in this order)

Daccs:
Quick ST 1.26
Control Panel/Install Printer

What should I do!!!!

John Kawakami                  kawakami@ocf.berkeley.edu
                               ucbvax!ocf.berkeley.edu!kawakami
Amateur crank!                 My Atari Macks!

wallace@ynotme.enet.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.005330.28401@agate.berkeley.edu>, kawakami@ocf.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) writes...
>Lately, my 520ST has been havng problems.  The screen begins to show garbage.
Have you tried seating all of the socketed chips and any cables/connectors
from the JRI board?  If not, try that first.

---
Ray Wallace
		(INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
		(INTERNET)	wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

rnews@qut.edu.au (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.005330.28401@agate.berkeley.edu>, kawakami@ocf.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) writes:
> Lately, my 520ST has been havng problems.  The screen begins to show garbage.
> It seems like the memory is being corrupted because the mouse will be going
> and the garbage is still on the screen.  What happens is the pixels in the
> even columns (of a mono screen) get garbled.  The end result is a screen
> of clean columns and dirty columns.  The dirty columns also show
> bands of white and black.  I suspect this is a memory problem because the
> garbage shows up on byte boundaries.  Could it be that one bank of SIMMs
> is not being refreshed properly?

This is a pretty common problem with upgrades and has to do with ringing on
the CAS lines to the extended ram board, a couple of 33pf capacitors on the
end of the two CAS lines on the expansion board will probably work wonders.

                          BOB