[comp.sys.atari.st] SIMMS, 6888#s - STe

dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) (09/05/90)

I ordered my 1040STe today!!! and I plan on popping in memory as soon as it
gets here.  I beleave that standard 1 Meg x 8 SIMMS will pop into the machine
and you have at most 4 banks of them.  Does the 1040STe generally come with
4 banks of 256K memory chips or does it have one bank of 1 Meg chips?  i.e.
do I have to order 4 megs of chips or only 3?  Do I have to wait and see?

The STe can't take the 4 Meg chips right?  (Do 4 Meg chips have more pins?)

Anybody have an idea where to get a 68881 or 68882?  The magazines I flipped
through (Byte, Comp Buyer's guide, STart) didn't have a single listing.  What
are the different FP chips that work with the STe and how much do they help
with intense double precision calculations?

While I was looking through the mags for SIMM prices I also looked at the
prices for 2400 Baud modems with MNP 5.  Every place that had them for under
$175 was sold out.  Anyone know of a place to get one?

While I am asking questions.... Whats the latest version of Mark Williams C?
Does it work on the STe?  Does the Spector GCR work on it?

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (09/10/90)

- I ordered my 1040STe today!!! and I plan on popping in memory as
- soon as it gets here.  I beleave that standard 1 Meg x 8 SIMMS will
- pop into the machine and you have at most 4 banks of them.  Does the
- 1040STe generally come with 4 banks of 256K memory chips or does it
- have one bank of 1 Meg chips?  i.e.  do I have to order 4 megs of
- chips or only 3?  Do I have to wait and see?

They come with 4 banks of 256K SIMMs.  Due to the hardware, it's
impossible to have one bank of 1 meg SIMMs.  (Although I know some
clever German will come up with a fix for it.  :^)

- The STe can't take the 4 Meg chips right?  (Do 4 Meg chips have
- more pins?)

I don't know if there's any pin difference, but the MMU can only take
4 megs and you can't have just one bank anyway.  (Then again, I'm
sure a clever German will fix this.)

I tried pulling out SIMMs and it's really hard if you've never seen
anyone do it before.  Just pull straight up from one side a little to
loosen it and then from the other to pull it out completely.  After
you do it, and pop it in again, you'll be surprised how easy it is.
It takes a bit of strength.  Does anyone know if there's a chance of
the socket coming out as well?  Those SIMMs are really tight!

*** On a related note, does ANYONE know where to get SIMMFIX, the
*** small AUTO folder program that allows 2.5 megs in an STe???

AAron@news.clarkson.edu (AAron nAAs) (09/11/90)

From article <24052@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, by dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas):

> Anybody have an idea where to get a 68881 or 68882?  The magazines I flipped
> through (Byte, Comp Buyer's guide, STart) didn't have a single listing.  What
> are the different FP chips that work with the STe and how much do they help
> with intense double precision calculations?

[Stuff obviously deleted]

Are you under the assumption that a 68881 or 68882 will fit into the STe?
I don't remember seeing an advertisement saying that the STe had such a
slot, and I don't remember seeing one inside my STe...

And by the way, I ACTUALLY tried to put 4 4Meg SIMMs into my machine,
and had unpredictable results, sometimes I had 2 meg, sometimes I had 4 meg,
But NEVER did I have 16Meg. (I was using 4meg x 9 SIMMs, but that shouldn't
matter that I did't have 4meg x 8)

AAron nAAs
AAron@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

hardware@rose.uwaterloo.ca (09/11/90)

 Simm boards on an STE are usually paired so that you could take
out two of the 256k boards and replace them with two 1 meg simm boards
to get 2.5 Megs on an STE. There is some software that is supposedly
required in an auto folder to recognise the extra ram. 1 Meg simm boards
can be bought fairly cheap in Toronto some for under 100. I have heard
it accepts both 8 and 9 pin simm boards.

 On a more useful note! Any ST can now upgrade via the Simms due to a
new circuit board designed to plug easily into your existing ST! It
can be purchased at TRIFORMATION call collect (818) 363-1004. The board
cost $119.95US and uses power from your disk drive and fits nicely
between the disk drive and your power supply. If you havnt upgraded your
memory yet this would be the best way to go because when you sell your
older machine you can always take the simm baords with you to your STE
or IBM(if you think thats an option). Its called the SIMMS Upgrade board
by JRI Technology.

 Hardware Dave at your Service

chris@tharr.UUCP (Chris Allen) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep09.175640.22681@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@cscihp.UUCP (Ed Krimen) writes:

>I tried pulling out SIMMs and it's really hard if you've never seen
>anyone do it before.  Just pull straight up from one side a little to
>you do it, and pop it in again, you'll be surprised how easy it is.
>It takes a bit of strength.  Does anyone know if there's a chance of
>the socket coming out as well?  Those SIMMs are really tight!

Sounds like you have one of the [not very many] STe machines with SIP
modules (with the pins). I don't think you will pull the socket out.

Most STe's appear to have SIMM modules which can be released by unlatching
the small hooks that hold them in place - but be *very* careful not to
snap them off as they are only plastic.

chris.

--
         chris@tharr.uucp  ..!ukc!axion!tharr!chris
  Disclaimer: The views expressed above are those of my employer..

    <-- tharr public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->