[comp.sys.atari.st] PC DITTO II

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (09/06/89)

hooray, hooray! i received my discount coupon for pc ditto II yesterday.
only $150 + $8 for airmail/shipping. not bad for a 10 MHz pc clone! (or
so i've heard).

it says offer expires oct 31/89. it also says it takes 4-6 weeks for
delivery. hopefully that doesn't imply that they will ship after
the closing date of the offer.

has anyone actually SEEN pc ditto II????? has anyone received it yet??
how many people have ordered it??? it would be nice to know.

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!

NEWSTV1@CARLETON.CA (09/22/89)

 I have just read the blurb on PCDitto II, the internal
board for STs that gives you a PC.  It says that the board
only works on "unmodified" STs.  If I read that correctly, it
means that if I have just upgraded my 1040 to four megs with
a Datafree or Aerco board, I can now pay $300 for the
privilege of ripping outmy four meg ST so I can own a 640K
PC.  Is this correct?  I'd like Avant Garde's comment on this.
   A cartridge system would have presumably allowed you to
leave your ST functioning with whatever memory it had, and would
not prevent you from turning your 520 into a four meg monster.
The Spectre system, for example, gives you a bigger Mac if you
put in more memory.  It seems to me that PCDitto freezes you
at whatever memory you have and i see no way of even expanding the
PC side beyond 640k.  Am I reading that pamphlet correctly?

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (09/22/89)

In article <890921.12375165.090594@CU.CP6> NEWSTV1@CARLETON.CA writes:

> I have just read the blurb on PCDitto II, the internal
>board for STs that gives you a PC.  It says that the board
>only works on "unmodified" STs.  If I read that correctly, it
>means that if I have just upgraded my 1040 to four megs with
>a Datafree or Aerco board, I can now pay $300 for the
>privilege of ripping outmy four meg ST so I can own a 640K
>PC.  Is this correct?  I'd like Avant Garde's comment on this.

My understanding was that if you have put in an upgrade that somehow
effects the 68000 itself, such as an accelerator or the JRI 4096 color
expander, you can't install the PC DITTO II.  All of these upgrades
sit atop, or require the socketing of, the 68000 itself.  So if you have
already modified your 68000 by putting something atop or underneath it,
you can't put in a PC DITTO II.

Your memory upgrade should not effect the PC DITTO.  However, you may
run into a power problem.  4 megs certainly pulls alot of power, and
the PC DITTO II may overtax your power supply.  Personally, I would not
put in both unless I knew my power supply was strong enough.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Call the ACORN BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud     | 3) Coke Classic

bob@cmpfen.UUCP (Bob Breum) (09/23/89)

NEWSTV1@CARLETON.CA writes:

> I have just read the blurb on PCDitto II, the internal
>board for STs that gives you a PC.  It says that the board
>only works on "unmodified" STs.  If I read that correctly, it
>means that if I have just upgraded my 1040 to four megs with
>a Datafree or Aerco board, I can now pay $300 for the
>privilege of ripping outmy four meg ST so I can own a 640K
>PC.  Is this correct?  I'd like Avant Garde's comment on this.

I called their tech support number and inquired about this.  My 520ST
has a Tech Specialties memory upgrade board with an additional 2MB of
DRAM, and I had the same concern.  They said that pc-Ditto II would
not interfere with memory upgrades.  I think their concern was for
16MHz upgrades.
--
Computer Fenestrations						      Bob Breum
Post Office Box 151		{uiucuxc|hoptoad|petsd|ucf-cs}!peora!cmpfen!bob

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (09/24/89)

Chris Freemesser says:
>Your memory upgrade should not effect the PC DITTO.

That's true, as far as connecting to the 68000, but what I'm still wondering
is where the PC-DITTO II board is supposed to  *FIT*  inside the ST...

My AERCO upgrade board takes up a LOT of space inside my 520ST...
I wonder just how much room will be needed to cram a PC DITTO II in there
too...

BobR

depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Sam Alan EZUST) (09/25/89)

In article <890921.12375165.090594@CU.CP6> NEWSTV1@CARLETON.CA writes:

> I have just read the blurb on PCDitto II, the internal
>board for STs that gives you a PC.  It says that the board
>only works on "unmodified" STs.  If I read that correctly, it
>means that if I have just upgraded my 1040 to four megs with
>a Datafree or Aerco board, I can now pay $300 for the
>privilege of ripping outmy four meg ST so I can own a 640K
>PC.  Is this correct?  I'd like Avant Garde's comment on this.

Strange - as it is the original pcditto emulates a PC with 703k
memory free - which is (my guess) different depending on how much memory
is on-board on an st. I can't imagine new restrictions being imposed on
the new version which weren't imposed on the original...

Now what I would like to know is, I am just about to get tos 1.4 installed
on my 1040st. Will that make it incompatible?

FRAJKOR@CARLETON.CA (10/12/89)

  Can someone (preferably someone from Avant Garde if they
monitor this line) answer thequestion as to whether installing
PC DittoII in an At ari 1040 ST precludes upgrading the
1040s memory to more than it originally had?  The plamphlet
advertising PC Ditto II says it works with "unmodified" STs.
I take this tomean that if I have a 1040 with one meg now, I cannot
upgrade it to 4 meg and still intall PC Ditto. Am I correct? Does  t
it mean that to get a 640K IBM clone I have to give up a 4meg ST?

They say I am a skeptic, but I do not believe them-- old Slovak proverb

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (11/15/89)

well, just the other day, i got a bit of mail from avante garde. it seems
like pc ditto ii won't be shipping until late november. at least the
company took the time out to mail me a notice of the delay. i was beginning
to wonder where my $150 went.

--

lawrence@techpub1.iscs.com (Lawrence Kelley 99) (11/20/89)

In article <1184@electro.UUCP> ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:

>well, just the other day, i got a bit of mail from avante garde. it seems
>like pc ditto ii won't be shipping until late november. at least the
>company took the time out to mail me a notice of the delay. i was beginning
>to wonder where my $150 went.

Yes, I got a postcard from them too.  But, they also promised that they would
"ship" some third-party reviews of PC Ditto II.  Has anyone out there even
seen this product?

kirk@gpstwr.UUCP (Kirk Bradford) (12/16/89)

Does anybody no where PC Ditto II stands? I don't have an account
with GENIE or Compuserve and I can not get through to them over the phone.

Any info would be very much appreciated. Please Email any responses.
						Thanks

# Kirk Bradford			tektronix!gvgpsa!gpstwr!kirk
#					or
#				kirk@gpstwr.uucp
# Graham-Patten Systems, Grass Valley, CA
# Phone 916-273-8412

BAKAY1B@UREGINAV.BITNET ("No one here gets out alive...") (02/05/90)

I have been considering purchasing pc ditto II, but I need to know a few
things first.  What level of IBM graphics does it support (ie EGA, CGA, etc)?
Does it read atari joystick ports?  Is there going to be a PC Ditto III in
the near future?  How difficult is it to hook up?  Answers to any of these
questions would be greatly appreciated.

Brook M. Bakay
Bakay1b@ureginav.bitnet

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (02/07/90)

I have heard that with the switch of board designs that AG has pumped the
PC Ditto II up to Norton SI of 4.0, has anyone else heard that?

And has anyone actually gotten theirs yet (that works).

                              Troy Carpenter
                            Computer  Sciences
                      THE University of Texas, Austin
			   psurge@cs.utexas.edu

haacke@exunido.uucp (Ralf Haacke) (02/07/90)

>I have been considering purchasing pc ditto II, but I need to know a few
>things first.  What level of IBM graphics does it support (ie EGA, CGA, etc)?
pc ditto II supports CGA, Hercules, Hercules(640x400), ATT and PC monochrome.

>Does it read atari joystick ports?
the Atari-Mouse and the serial PC-Mouse are supported by pc-ditto II

>Is there going to be a PC Ditto III in the near future?
I think: NO!

Dieter Fiebelkorn

dhe@uafhcx.uucp (David Ewing) (02/15/90)

    Since there hasn't been any mention of this subject for awhile I though
that I'd ask....What's the current status on PCDITTO II?  The last I heard it
was halted from shipping because of a bug that make it fail on certain ST's.  I
apologize to anyone who is getting tired of seeing these messages, but I could
really use PCDITTO II.

           -Dave

 dhe@uafhcx.uark.edu                      David Ewing, University of Arkansas
 dhe@uafb15.uark.edu   "DON'T PANIC!!!"       Computer Science Engineering

whoffman@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Walt Hoffman) (02/15/90)

I received my PCDitto II about 2 weeks ago.  I installed it into my 1meg 520ST
and it didn't work.  It hung right after the point where it asks for a DOS
disk.  By scanning GEnie messages, I found that my problem was not all that
unique.  The problem seems to be timing differences in the MMU chip in the ST.
There is a fix for the problem to change out two PAL chips (in sockets).  I
have included a copy of the message from Avante-Garde Systems retrieved from
GEnie.

Now if we only had the 2-way GEnie hookup active, it could have been here a lot
sooner.  :-)  (I just had to do that, Dave(GBS))

   ---  following message retrieved from GEnie ---

Category 19,  Topic 2
Message 73        Mon Feb 12, 1990
AVANTGARDE                   at 16:54 EST

Dear pc-ditto II owners,

We are happy to announce we have found the problem with pc-ditto II hardware
not working with some STs.  We were correct about the changes in timings of
some machines being the heart of the problem and our correction widens the
tolerance for machines with different timings.  We can discuss our findings at
a later time in detail, if there are any engineers interested.  For now,
however, the following describes what to do to receive an update:

  1.  Correction involves replacement of two socketed chips on your pc-ditto
      II board.  The chips are labeled:  U27  GLUPAL (part TIBPAL 20L8-25CNT)
      and  U15  EMSPAL  (part TIBPAL 16R4-25CN).
  2.  Please carefully remove these chips (a flat-edge screwdriver under
      the end of each chip works best).  CAUTION:  Please observe static
      discharge procedures (as noted in the pc-ditto II Installation Manual)
      to prevent damage to your board.
  3.  Then, wrap the two chips in a soft packing material and return to
      Avant-Garde Systems at the following address:
        Avant-Garde System
        381 Pablo Point Drive
        Jacksonville,  Florida   32225
      (You may call (904) 221-2904 9am to 5pm Mon-Fri if you have questions.)
  4.  Please include your name and return address.
  5.  We will return two new replacement chips immediately along with
      instructions on replacing them.

For owners with pc-ditto II that are already working, replacement of these two
chips will not help you.  Therefore, we would not recommend "fixing your
product if its not broken".

We are now working on a blitter fix and standardized Mega expansion port
fixture and will post a message soon about those items.

(Also, if you have already called or written, you will be receiving a letter
concerning the above, as well).

Thanks!

Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 4800 Oak Grove Dr., Pasadena, CA  91109

"It better work 'cause after launch, service calls are quite expensive.
  It's only $40 for the call but it's the mileage that kills you."

Walt Hoffman, Real-time Analyst, Galileo Orbiter Engineering Team
- if it GLISTENS, gobble it!!

lawrence@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Lawrence Kelly) (02/15/90)

In article <3703@uafhp.uark.edu> dhe@uafhcx.uucp (David Ewing) writes:

>that I'd ask....What's the current status on PCDITTO II?  The last I heard it
>was halted from shipping because of a bug that make it fail on certain ST's.

As far as the bug is concerned, you heard correctly.  Avante Garde recently
(2-12-90) posted a message on Genie confirming a timing problem between the
PCD II and the 68000 on the ST.

The proposed solution is to replace two PALS on the PCD II board (U27 and U15).
These are socketed and shouldn't be a problem.  They want those with problems to
remove them, mail them to AG and *then* they will send replacement chips.  I think
they have it backward.  They should send out the fix first.  PALS are dirt cheap
and readily available.

Since I don't have my PCD II yet, I'm hoping that it will arrive soon with the new
PALS and will run fine.

If you want an exercise in frustration, try calling AG at (904) 221-2904 9:00 a,
to 5:00 pm M-F.  I did.  It took me two days to get through.

Thos few who have a working PCD II say it's worth the wait.  Let's hope so.
SuperCharger is looking real good, but it's $399.

Shalom, lawrence

lawrence@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Lawrence Kelly) (02/17/90)

In article <2848@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> whoffman@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Walt Hoffman) writes:
>I received my PCDitto II about 2 weeks ago.  I installed it into my 1meg 520ST
>and it didn't work.

Can you tell me when you sent in your card so I can estimate when I might get
mine?  I waited until 10-15-89 to send mine in.  AG is sending the PCD II out
in the same order the cards were received.

Thanks, lawrence

whoffman@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Walt Hoffman) (02/20/90)

In article <2749@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM> lawrence@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Lawrence Kelly) writes:
>In article <2848@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> whoffman@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Walt Hoffman) writes:
>>I received my PCDitto II about 2 weeks ago.  I installed it into my 1meg 520ST
>>and it didn't work.
>
>Can you tell me when you sent in your card so I can estimate when I might get
>mine?  I waited until 10-15-89 to send mine in.  AG is sending the PCD II out
>in the same order the cards were received.
>
>Thanks, lawrence

I sent my order in around September 2.  A copy of my order form was packed with
my board and had a number 643 written on it.  That probably was my number in
the queue for my order.  (I don't remember the exact number but it was in the
mid-600's.)  AG encountered problems of their boards not working on all STs
due to differences in timing between machines.  They have a 2-chip fix for it,
and maybe they will install it on yours before they ship it.  That could save
you some time.

I have a 520ST
with 1 meg and it was quite a job getting it to fit.  I had to cut the center
post off the ST case so I could install it without interfering with the
keyboard electronics.  It does fix but takes some creativity and determination
to find the right spot.  If it works as well as PCditto I only faster, I will
be extremely happy.

--
Were these parsnips CORRECTLY MARINATED in TACO SAUCE?

ericco@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) (02/28/90)

I got PC DITTO II in the mail last week.  The installation was easy.
However, it doesn't work.

The software indicates that the board is not properly connected.  Does
this message indicate that the new chips are required.

Eric

ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu

Eric
ericco@ssl.berkeley.edu

lawrence@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Lawrence Kelley) (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb27.171030.6687@agate.berkeley.edu> ericco@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric C. Olson) writes:
>I got PC DITTO II in the mail last week.  The installation was easy.
>However, it doesn't work.
>
>The software indicates that the board is not properly connected.  Does
>this message indicate that the new chips are required.

According to messages that Avant Garde has posted on Genie, it probably
means that the connector really is not properly seated on all pins.

AG says the only way to really know you have good connections is to
do a continuity check of each pin.  All reports that I've read on genie
indicate that it's a pain to get seated.  If you verify all pins and it
still doesn't work, I'd suspect the PALS.  You can mail them to AG or
send them email on genie if you have an account.  Good luck.

I'm still waiting on my PCD III.  When did you send your card in?

Shalom, lawrence

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (03/05/90)

hey guys. i thought the world was a great place friday when i finally!!!
received pc ditto II. well, i finally got around to installing it today, and
hey, what do you know, it don't work worth a damn. my major concerns are:

the installation manual refers to a user's manual, which was not in the
box, and there is no user manual info in the installation manual. sheesh.

the installation manual refers to a program called PCD2DIAG.PRG which is
supposed to be on the master disk, but again, no such luck. just the
same sort of files from pc ditto I (ie: pcdmenu (which hasn't even been
updated since pcdI, or at least it looks that way). this is disturbing since
i wouldn't mind knowing what is wrong with the installation (i am assuming
that it is the pal problem since it gets as far as reading the ibm boot
sector, and then it dies)

other observations:

my god, what a big bloody board they're using!!!!! it might as well be a
complete ibm for its size! i originally heard that it was supposed to be
the size of the clip to the 68000. of course the manual doesn't say how or
where it's supposed to mount inside the ST since i can't seem to find
a natural place for this monstrosity.

the cables are skewed and twisted over one another. sheesh. double sheesh.

well, until i get them updated pals, i guess the old st will have to be in
this opened, dishevelled state. unfortunately for avante garde, the whole
deal looks quite unprofessional, and the problems with leaving out entire
manuals/programs mentionned in the installation guide leaves a lot to be
desired!

just a few disgruntled thoughts ...

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)=====watmath!watcgl!electro!brasoft!ignac======
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Software!!!!

GINGRICH-T@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (07/20/90)

For Sale:
  PC Ditto II - unused (my 68000 has a factory mod soldered to the chip!!)
  Price       - $120 + shipping
  Contact     - Tyler Gingrich
                5441 Dexter Falls Rd
                Columbus OH  43221
                (614)771-9187

Tyler

ssmith@ac.dal.ca (09/04/90)

I have a friend who has installed PC DITTO II in his atari. He said he has
been trying to make  it work for a month now. I have no experience with atari
products but know somthing about ibm stuff.
Does anybody know if there are any tricks to making this product work.
Are there any jumper or switch setting to be concerned about?
Any hints or basic concerns (ie interrupts, dma, etc) wouldm be appreciated.
Please post to this list

Thanks, G. James

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (09/05/90)

In article <1935@ac.dal.ca>, ssmith@ac.dal.ca writes:
> I have a friend who has installed PC DITTO II in his atari. He said he has
> been trying to make  it work for a month now. I have no experience with atari
> products but know somthing about ibm stuff.
> Does anybody know if there are any tricks to making this product work.
> Are there any jumper or switch setting to be concerned about?
> Any hints or basic concerns (ie interrupts, dma, etc) wouldm be appreciated.
> Please post to this list
>
> Thanks, G. James

The scheme used by PC Ditto to clamp the header on the 68000 chip is awful.

SOLDER it to the 68000.  This is not trivial, but is necessary for consistent
performance.  I used a Weller constant temp iron with a very long tip.

Also, Don't forget the jumper on the Math Chip socket of the PCD II board.
It absolutely necessary.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

fsdmb3@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (BRAUN DAVID M) (09/06/90)

In article <1935@ac.dal.ca>, ssmith@ac.dal.ca writes...
>I have a friend who has installed PC DITTO II in his atari. He said he has
>been trying to make  it work for a month now. I have no experience with atari
>products but know somthing about ibm stuff.
>Does anybody know if there are any tricks to making this product work.
>Are there any jumper or switch setting to be concerned about?
>Any hints or basic concerns (ie interrupts, dma, etc) wouldm be appreciated.
>Please post to this list
>
>Thanks, G. James

I got my PC-ditto working the first try when I installed it, it died a month
later but that is a different story.
 Make sure that the pins of the 68000 piggyback connecter are tight, bend the
pins inward (EVENLY!) so that it snaps on tight.  make sure you put in the jumper
if you don't have a coprocessor.  re-check the lines on the cables, they should
be oposite on either end, they cross in the middle.
  If it is installed correctly it should come up with the main screen fairly
quickly after running the program (on a hard drive).
  That is about all I can think of right off hand, the PCDMENU program has OK
defaults, just check which drive is designated as A and B.

  Hope this helps.    8-)

David M. Braun				     		    FSDMB3@ALASKA.BITNET
Samurai and Lizards, Reptiles and Samurai.     	     fsdmb3@acad3.fai.alaska.edu

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/08/90)

[much advice on how to coerce PC Ditto II to work]

Frankly, I'm amazed that people still purchase PC Ditto II.
The problems are well documented and there are more stable
products available at similar prices.  Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Chris (temporarily computerless) Mauritz
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep8.140933.29490@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

> Frankly, I'm amazed that people still purchase PC Ditto II.
> The problems are well documented and there are more stable
> products available at similar prices.  Am I missing something?

Avant Garde offered PC Ditto II to those who had the original PC Ditto program
and were registered users a deal on the PCD II.  With the special coupon send
by them, PCDII only cost $150, which is much less than the other pc boards.
Now all that ordered one when it came out are receiving their boards and now
the plethora of problems is arising.

(yep, I got hit too, my cables are bad and need to have new ones made...)
.

                                 Troy Carpenter
                        Department of Computer Sciences

fsdmb3@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (BRAUN DAVID M) (09/12/90)

In article <12373@cs.utexas.edu>, psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) writes...
>In article <1990Sep8.140933.29490@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>>
>> Frankly, I'm amazed that people still purchase PC Ditto II.
>
>Avant Garde offered PC Ditto II to those who had the original PC Ditto program
>and were registered users a deal on the PCD II.  With the special coupon send
>by them, PCDII only cost $150, which is much less than the other pc boards.
>Now all that ordered one when it came out are receiving their boards and now
>the plethora of problems is arising.
>
>                                 Troy Carpenter

  Yep, I got in on this, great deal, right?  My PC-Ditto II  worked fine for
three weeks, since then I have been trying to get it fixed, lately they havn't
been answering the phone, and today I got a letter back from them marked:
AVANT GARDE MOVED & Left no address, Unable to Forward, return to Sender!!
 the Address I used is for: 381 Pablo Point Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32225.

  Does anyone have a newer Address, I was never notified of the change in my
other corrispondances with them...   Any sugestions?