[comp.sys.atari.st] Would like more info on the book.....

n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu (Perry Pederson) (09/12/90)

Hey, netters!

In a recent posting by John Henders, he listed a lot of books for the
Atari ST.  One caught my eye-- "Learning C.  Programming Graphics on
the Amiga and Atari ST" by Marc B. Sugiyama and Christopher D.
Metcalf.

I am in the process of learning 'C' this summer, and am taking an
upper division computer graphics course starting in a few weeks at my
college.  This book sounds like something that I'd be interested in,
but I hesitate when the book also deals with another computer.

If anyone out there owns this book, could you please tell me how much
of it is dedicated to the Atari, and what sort of graphics it deals
with?  .RSC files?  Fractals?  3-D modeling?  Simple stick figures?
Animation?  Curious minds want to know.....

Thanx in advance,

     *****   *******      Perry Pederson:  email: n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu
    *           *			   GEnie: P.PEDERSON
     ****       *		           Voice: (206) 676-7177
	 *      *
    *****       *
     +++++      +
	  +	+	'I' before 'E' except after 'C'....
       +++	 +
      +		 +		... We sure live in a weird society!
       +++++   ++++++

jhenders@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (09/12/90)

	Re: Programming Graphic on the Amiga and Atari ST.

 The book deals with 3d graphics mainly and works with a shared library
between the St and Amiga. There are enough typo's in the code to make sure
you really do learn coding.;^)
 There's an interesting z-buffer variation and the hidden line algorthm is
interesting. I wouldn't pick it as a book to learn C with(which it purports
to be),unless you're already proficient in another language.

	John Henders

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep11.190853.29564@unicorn.wwu.edu>, n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu (Perry Pederson) writes:
> One caught my eye-- "Learning C.  Programming Graphics on
> the Amiga and Atari ST" by Marc B. Sugiyama and Christopher D.
> Metcalf.
>
> If anyone out there owns this book, could you please tell me how much
> of it is dedicated to the Atari, and what sort of graphics it deals
> with?

I had the book for a while a couple of years ago.  The main focus is on
graphics primitives.  The programs are designed to run on either machine, with
a machine specific object module for the Amiga and for the Atari ST.  If memory
serves, there were a number of graphics primitives created, from simply putting
points on the screen to moving graphics objects.  The C supported at the time
was Alcyon C, with modifications for several other C compilers which were
popular at the time (lots of IFDEFS...)  Most of the machine-specific code
revolved around the Line-A routines, if memory serves.

Once you got the machine specific stuff coded and and object module generated,
it didn't make any difference what machine you were using.

Things NOT covered:  use of resource files (not really used in Graphics
Programming anyway), VDI and AES routines (the Compute! books deals with these
in sufficient detail for rudimentary Graphics Programming, though).

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu