[comp.sys.atari.st] Programming Books for the Atari ST

jhenders@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (09/08/90)

	Here's the Book List I promised earlier. Hope it helps cut the number
of requests a bit. ;^)

        The (Almost) Complete Guide to Atari Reference Books

        Compute! Publications,Inc.
        PO Box 5406,Greensboro NC
        27403(919-275-9809)

  Computes Technical Refence Guide Volume One. VDI
  Sheldon Leeman
  ISBN 0-87455-093-9

  Computes Technical Refence Guide Volume Two. AES
  Sheldon Leeman
  ISBN 0-87455-114-5

  Computes Technical Refence Guide Volume Three. TOS
  Sheldon Leeman
  ISBN 0-87455-149-8

  Learning C. Programming Graphics on the Amiga and Atari ST.
  Marc B. Sugiyama and Christopher D. Metcalf
  ISBN 0-87455-064-5

  Compute's ST Applications Guide. Programming in C
  Simon Feild,Kathleen Mandis and Dave Myers
  ISBN 0-87455-078-5

        Scott,Foresman and Company.
        Professional Publishing Group
        1900 East Lake Avenue,Glenville IL
        600025

  Learning C on the Atari ST
  Joseph Boyle Wikert
  ISBN 0-673-18738-1

*
*  THE FOLLOWING BOOKS ARE CURRENTLY OUT OF PRINT
*  I include them in case they come back in print
*  and for those who wish to track them down in
*  Used Bookstores

        Abacus Software,Inc.
        5370 52nd Street,S.E.
        Grand Rapids,MI
        49508

  Atari ST Internals
  K Gerits,L. Englisch and R. Bruckmann
  ISBN 0-916439-46-1

  Atari ST GEM Programmers Reference
  Norbert Szczepanowski and Bernt Gunther
  ISBN 0-916439-52-6

  Atari ST 3d Graphics Programming
  Uwe Braun
  ISBN 0-916439-69-0

  Atari ST Disk Drives Inside and Out
  Uwe Brawn,Stephan Dittrich and Axel Schramm
  ISBN 0-916439-84

  Atari ST Machine Language
  B.Grohmann,P.eidler and H.Slibar
  ISBN 0-916439-48-8

  Atari ST Introduction to MIDI Programming
  Len Dorfman and Dennis Young
  ISBN 0-916439-77-1

        Bantam Books,Inc.
        666 5th Avenue
        New York,New York
        10103

  Atari ST Application Programming
  Lawrence J. Pollack and Eric J.T.Weber
  ISBN 0-553-34397-1

        Sybex Inc.
        2344 Sixth St.
        Berkely,CA
        94710

  Programmers Guide To GEM
  Phillip Balma and William Fitler

*
*  This List can be freely distributed and added to.
*  All I ask is that people identify the added information as
*  their own.
*
*       John Henders
*       Vancouver,BC
*       On Usenet  uunet!ubc-cs!van-bc!jhenders
*       On ForumST  John henders@448
*
*

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (09/09/90)

There's a limit to how hard you can beat on the ST without some 68000 program-
ming documentation.  My favorites are:

68000 Assembly Language Programming by L.A. Levinthal, D. Hawkins, G. Kane
and W.D. Cramer       pub Osborne-McGraw-Hill

and, mostly for addressing and timing information, the Motorola MC68000
16/32-bit microprocessor manual dated October, 1985.

                                       Steve J.

entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep09.023353.9910@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:

   There's a limit to how hard you can beat on the ST without some 68000 program-
   ming documentation.  My favorites are:

   68000 Assembly Language Programming by L.A. Levinthal, D. Hawkins, G. Kane
   and W.D. Cramer       pub Osborne-McGraw-Hill

   and, mostly for addressing and timing information, the Motorola MC68000
   16/32-bit microprocessor manual dated October, 1985.

					  Steve J.

Could you please post info on where one might order these books,
approximate price, etc?  I've been looking for the Motorola book for
some time now in computer stores and book stores with no success.

				Thanks,
					nick

Internet:  ncastellano@eagle.wesleyan.edu || entropy@ai.mit.edu
Bitnet:    ncastellano@wesleyan.bitnet
Citadel:   Sinkhole!dEADHEAd [@mast.citadel.moundst.mn.org]
Sniktnet:  snikt!entropy

entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep11.004259.2788@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:

   whatever the latest edition is.  Motorola manuals do sometimes show up in
   bookstores, but the standard way to get them is to start calling Motorola
   offices, describing what you need a manual for, until someone decides to send
   you one.  It tends to be fairly pleasant, because this is pretty routine to
   them and they regard it as part of maintaining good customer relations.

Uh, right, but where do I find one of these Motorola offices?

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (09/11/90)

In article <10541@life.ai.mit.edu> entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) writes:
>In article <1990Sep09.023353.9910@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>

>   and, mostly for addressing and timing information, the Motorola MC68000
>   16/32-bit microprocessor manual dated October, 1985.
>
>					  Steve J.
>
>Could you please post info on where one might order these books,
>approximate price, etc?  I've been looking for the Motorola book for
>some time now in computer stores and book stores with no success.

The McGraw-Hill book I mentioned should be easy to find, and about $30 in

In article <10563@life.ai.mit.edu> entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) writes:
>In article <1990Sep11.004259.2788@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>
>   whatever the latest edition is.  Motorola manuals do sometimes show up in
>   bookstores, but the standard way to get them is to start calling Motorola
>   offices, describing what you need a manual for, until someone decides to send
>   you one.  It tends to be fairly pleasant, because this is pretty routine to
>   them and they regard it as part of maintaining good customer relations.
>
>Uh, right, but where do I find one of these Motorola offices?

Please pardon me for giving the snotty answer first, because it can be incred-
ibly useful: You find ANY major company's phone number in the Thompson Register
(It's a set of about 15 big green books in the reference section of a lot of
libraries, and in many purchasing offices).

Now for the nice answer: Motorola has a headquarters number of (708)397-5000.
One number for the tech people is (708)576-7000.  Those are Illinois
numbers.  The home of the 68000 is in Texas somewhere.  Again, good general
advice is that any BIG company will have a number in any big city phone
book.  If I didn't want to walk through from the main corporate number, and
the 576 number wasn't local (it IS local for me.  I'm sure it isn't the final
number in a game of 'phone tag, but it's a good start for me), I'd check the
Dallas and Houston phone books.
                                      Steve J.

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep11.034818.14525@chinet.chi.il.us>, saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:

> The home of the 68000 is in Texas somewhere.

That would be here in Austin.  The number you could call to get info would be:
(512) 891-2000.  Don't know which office that is.  You could try the general
number (512) 928-6000

The address is:
   Motorola
   1 Texas Center
   Barton Springs Rd.
   Austin, Texas 78704

I guess you can put what department it should go to, that's a big office
building.  The suite for the staff services is #400, but call the 2000 number
and they will tell you whatever you need to know or who to get in touch with.

                                 Troy Carpenter
                        Department of Computer Sciences
                        THE University of Texas, Austin
                              psurge@cs.utexas.edu

In article <12370@cs.utexas.edu>, psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) writes:

> The address is:
>    Motorola
>    1 Texas Center
>    Barton Springs Rd.
>    Austin, Texas 78704

That should be 505 Barton Springs Rd.  Sorry

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) (09/12/90)

>Please pardon me for giving the snotty answer first, because it can be incred-
>ibly useful: You find ANY major company's phone number in the Thompson Register
>(It's a set of about 15 big green books in the reference section of a lot of
>libraries, and in many purchasing offices).

  Ahem.. Thomas Register.

		- Dave Ritchie

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (09/13/90)

In article <15480010@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) writes:
>>Please pardon me for giving the snotty answer first, because it can be incred-
>>ibly useful: You find ANY major company's phone number in the Thompson Register
>>(It's a set of about 15 big green books in the reference section of a lot of
>>libraries, and in many purchasing offices).
>>

>  Ahem.. Thomas Register.
>
>		- Dave Ritchie

I stand with my nose wiped.                          Steve J.