[comp.sys.atari.st] Doing Atari compiles on Unix systems.

schultzd@frith.uucp (David Schultz) (09/07/90)

When this stream first started, I was a bit skeptical.  But, now it
seems possible.  Has anyone thought of putting a version of Sozobon
[(or gcc) set-up to make Atari executables from a Sun] on
atari.archive, or anywhere else.  It would be helpful.
--
Case Center for C.A.E., M.S.U., Consultant 	| schultzd@egr.msu.edu
ACM, Michigan State Univ. Chapter, Chairperson  | schultzd@cpsin.cps.msu.edu

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (09/10/90)

++   Has anyone thought of putting a version of Sozobon
++   [(or gcc) set-up to make Atari executables from a Sun] on
++   atari.archive, or anywhere else.  It would be helpful.

I have a gcc cross-compiler on a Sun. Trouble is, there's some hard-coded
directory paths which make a compiled version not terribly portable. I guess
that's why jbammi only distributes source code.
--
Cheers,

Graham
======

Graham Higgins             	|  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060
Hewlett-Packard Labs    	|  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Bristol                       	|  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
U.K.                          	|
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

tony@raid5.uucp (Tony Andrews) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep6.182302.13306@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> schultzd@frith.uucp (David Schultz) writes:
>When this stream first started, I was a bit skeptical.  But, now it
>seems possible.  Has anyone thought of putting a version of Sozobon
>[(or gcc) set-up to make Atari executables from a Sun] on
>atari.archive, or anywhere else.  It would be helpful.

At least one of our users has done this. I got a letter from a guy who was
doing cross-compiles on VMS and downloading to his ST. There were (and
probably still are) some gotchas to look out for when porting the Sozobon
code to a host, depending on the word size and byte order of the host. But
the code is pretty portable overall. If your host is enough faster than
your ST and you have a reasonably fast link, cross-development could be a
win.

--
Tony Andrews				uunet!dunike!onecom!raid5!tony
Array Technology Corp.

jensting@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) (09/13/90)

tony@raid5.uucp (Tony Andrews) writes:

>In article <1990Sep6.182302.13306@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> schultzd@frith.uucp (David Schultz) writes:
[..]
>the code is pretty portable overall. If your host is enough faster than
>your ST and you have a reasonably fast link, cross-development could be a
>win.

One example: A SUN4 running the ST version (as provided by bammi, FTP
to dsrgsun.ces.cwru, if you can get through, I can't) compiling GNUPLOT 2
	CPU time: 72 Secs
	SYS time: 14 secs

All I need now is to find out why the program deosn't work on the ST... .

	Jens

PS 	I'm only compiling on the SUN4 because I don't have enough memory in
	my ST yet. When I get enough memory, I'll use the ST only. With proper
	makefiles the compile speed itself should be a smaller sgnificane.
Jens Tingleff MSc EE, Institute of Computer Science, Copenhagen University
Snail mail: DIKU Universitetsparken 1, DK2100 KBH O
"It never runs around here; it just comes crashing down"
	apologies to  Dire Straits