[comp.sys.atari.st] Portfolio 640k

mfolivo@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark F. Newton) (04/09/90)

About the Portfolio, it mentions that it is expandable to 640k, but
nowhere in the manual does it say how. (This is printed on the
outside of the box)

So how will the Portfolio be expanded? Will the additional memory
be added through the system bus? Will there be either higher
capacity cards? Would there be a market for a card drive for the
ST, like there is for the IBM?

Data transfers through the parallel interface is simpler than the
serial interface. I recommend it over the serial *if* you have a
PC. For STs and anything else (your 600XL maybe?) use the serial
interface and make a cable.

I really like the Portfolio, I can run small programs, but I use
the editor more than anything else. And of course, anyone who sees
my use it is intrigued by it to ask me about it.

--
                             Mark Newton-John
   (ames att sun)!pacbell! \      Sakura-mendo, CA

mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John) (09/08/90)

Well, I found out how to expand a Portfolio to 640k. It entails the
new HPC-104 memory expansion. Adding one gives you 256k more, and
a second card slot, but adding a second gives you 640k total. And
if you add on the serial or parallel interface, you have one long
hand held computer!

No, I do not thing that the second card slot is usable as D:\, it's
probably configured for B:\, and the Portfolio can only access
three drives.

Since the expansion bus is "standard PC" does that mean someone
could engineer an expansion box, with a standard video card, etc?

The only place I have seen the full line of Portfolio products is
B&C Computervisions in Santa Clara. We don't have the HPC-104 yet,
but we have everything else.

--
the good guys!               Sakura-mendo, CA

      Internet:  mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/09/90)

In article <3922@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John) writes:

>Well, I found out how to expand a Portfolio to 640k. It entails the
>new HPC-104 memory expansion. Adding one gives you 256k more, and
>a second card slot, but adding a second gives you 640k total. And
>if you add on the serial or parallel interface, you have one long
>hand held computer!

Do these things even work?  I have seen nothing but complaints
about them.  They apparently have a very low MBTF.  The guy
selling them at J&R Music World in Manhattan actually recommended
the Sharp Wizard to my boss since they had a lot of complaints
about Portfolios failing.  What experiences have you had with
this thing?

>the good guys!               Sakura-mendo, CA
>
>      Internet:  mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John) (09/14/90)

I have not had any problems with my Portfolio over the month and a
half I have had it. Once, I killed my addresses, but that was my
fault. I take this thing everywhere I go, and I get asked about it
alot.

One machine that does interest me alot is the Poquet PC. It is a
much better hand held, but then again, you are paying $2000
compared to the mere $400 for the Portfolio. But then again, if
they can make the Poquet work, it would be very simplWke &}to have
a hand held ST, a Tracy? (You heard it here  first!!!)