[comp.sys.atari.st] Pirate Spectre

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (09/14/90)

I have information on a (supposedly) pirate version of Spectre on
disk. Could David Small please get in touch with me, and I will
give full details? (Sorry, I don't have his address). I cannot imagine
that this works, but I still would like to pass on the info.

Thanks,

David Megginson

(I can't imagine that the pirates read the net -- do they?)
/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep14.014009.2283@doe.utoronto.ca> david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) writes:
>I have information on a (supposedly) pirate version of Spectre on
>disk. Could David Small please get in touch with me, and I will
>give full details? (Sorry, I don't have his address). I cannot imagine
>that this works, but I still would like to pass on the info.

Actually, this is quite possible.  All you really have to do is hack
the code to Spectre to look for the Mac ROM image on disk instead of
a physical ROM plugged in via Dave's box.  I actually saw a version
of Magic Sac a year or two ago that someone had hacked like this.
You'd be surprised at the time and energy these pirates spend to
get around paying for software.  You'd figure the original hacker
would have to spend hours trying to patch the software to
accomplish this (maybe longer).  It's too bad that these creeps
don't get into constructive programming rather than stealing from
people like Dave Small.

>Thanks,
>
>David Megginson

Cheers,

Chris

>(I can't imagine that the pirates read the net -- do they?)

You ARE joking, right?  If you want to see how much commercial software
gets FTPed and emailed over the net, just talk to your friendly
neighborhood postmaster at your site.  I'm sure he/she will have
many an interesting tale to tell.

Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |