[comp.sys.atari.st] Compile GNU CC on Atari

jimh@ultra.com (Jim Hurley) (09/15/90)

In <1990Sep13.155914.3246@diku.dk> jensting@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) writes:

>tony@raid5.uucp (Tony Andrews) writes:

[deleted]

>PS 	I'm only compiling on the SUN4 because I don't have enough memory in
>	my ST yet. When I get enough memory, I'll use the ST only. With proper
>	makefiles the compile speed itself should be a smaller sgnificane.

I don't know about that - I compiled the GNU CC sources on a standard
Atari ST with 4Meg and a 700k Ramdisk for the intermediary files
and it took me something like 8 or 9 hours. The time is just a guess,
I started one Friday evening and, with various timeouts and problem
tracking, I finished sometime early Saturday morning. I was pretty
beat for a while after that.

Note this was just the compiler driver, C pre-processor, and C compiler
driver proper. I didn't get to the assembler yet.

You also need something like a 20Meg partition (I used 32Meg)
just to hold all this.

I would use my SUN/3 at work, but, so far, I just get core dumps
when I try to compile the GNU compiler with itself. It takes
quite a while on the Sun/3, too.

--
Jim Hurley --> jimh@ultra.com  ...!ames!ultra!jimh  (408) 922-0100
Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA 95134