[comp.sys.atari.st] CACHEXXX.PRG bombs with AHDI 3.01

schlut@oski.toppoint.de (Olaf Schlueter) (09/15/90)

I run into a problem with AHDI 3.01.

I recently switched from Claus Brod's CBHD Driver to AHDI 3.01, for I
got a 70 MB Hard Disk drive and wanted to use it with only one partition.

As recommend a while ago by Allan Pratt, I tried to install CACHEXXX.PRG.
But even only with a auto folder select program STSELECT.PRG,
the two official fixes TOS14FIX.PRG and POOLFIX3.PRG, the system doesn't
boot. With only the programs listed above in the order STSELECT,
TOS14FIX, POOLFIX3, and CACHE200, it hangs. With any program after
CACHE200, it bombs. CACHE200 prints installation message (as do
the other programs).

All programs are official. I downloaded AHDI 3.01 from the official
Atari Mailbox in Raunheim Germany. I got CACHEXXX together with a
disk based version of TOS 1.4 (8/8/88). The file sizes are

----a    3630 11.09.90 22:29:48 c:\auto\stselect.prg
----a     689 11.09.90 22:29:50 c:\auto\tos14fix.prg
----a    1983 11.09.90 22:29:52 c:\auto\poolfix3.prg
----a     820 20.06.89 00:00:00 c:\auto\foldr300.prg
----a     732 28.06.88 17:18:16 c:\auto\cache200.prg

Autoboot is installed. shdriver.sys has size 7895. FOLDR300 is not
responsible for crashing. This had been tested.

I have a Mega 2 (4MB) with TOS 1.4 (in ROM, latest german version), a
SCSI Seagate Drive with two partitions, C: 60 MB, D: 10 MB.

Of course C: has a unusual sector size, but A. Pratt claimed, that
this should work with AHDI 3.01.

Please keep reply via E-Mail short. I have to pay 50 cents per
1000 characters for incoming mail.

Greetings,
--
Olaf Schlueter, Sandkuhle 4-6, 2300 Kiel 1, FRG, schlut@oski.toppoint.de
   ! We have to pay for incoming mail, so don't reply or keep short !

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (09/17/90)

In article <5352460@oski.toppoint.de> schlut@oski.toppoint.de (Olaf
Schlueter) writes:
>I run into a problem with AHDI 3.01.
>As recommend a while ago by Allan Pratt, I tried to install CACHEXXX.PRG.

You have an old version of CACHEXXX.PRG.  It won't work with AHDI 3.01.
You need to get the new version.  Its length is 1051, not 732.
| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |