[comp.sys.atari.st] scanned images > ST - what method is best?

swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Scott Wood) (09/05/90)

OU acs has the scanner hooked up this semester.  I have started using it.
I was wondering what would be the best method for converting scanned images to
st format?  I can save the scans in the form of pict (two formats - paint &
I forget the other) or TIFF.  I can also convert it to various other formats
including GIF and standard mac bitmap (color scans have a few other formats
that I can convert to as well)
What software do I need, and what formats should I go to for the software?
BTW the scanning accessory is Microtek

swood
--
NO original ideas this week for	| swood@argo.acs.oakland.edu
Unique signature message!	| swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/07/90)

swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Scott Wood) asks:

> I was wondering what would be the best method for converting scanned images to
> st format?  I can save the scans in the form of pict (two formats - paint &
> I forget the other) or TIFF.  I can also convert it to various other formats
> including GIF and standard mac bitmap (color scans have a few other formats
> that I can convert to as well)
> What software do I need, and what formats should I go to for the software?
> BTW the scanning accessory is Microtek

I was going to buy the MS-DOS package called Hijaak (yes, that's the correct
spelling) to do graphics file conversions.  It sells for US$99 and converts
any file format to any other one -- slight exaggeratio n, but it's too many
formats to list here.  Can anyone else provide info?

There was one format Hijaak supported that looked like it would work on the
ST, that is to say, it was a Digital Research format, .GEM, I think.  I'm
in the midst of moving, the information is in storage, and I'm talking from
memory right now.

I *think* that PC .GEM files and ST .GEM files are identical and
interchangeable.  (With all the other unadvertised "PC-compatible" features
built into the ST, I'd be surprised if they weren't!)

I'd suggest you convert your files to .GEM format.  You may need to buy
Hijaak to do it, but that's only $99.  Let us all know how it turns out.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP Colorado IC Divison
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com
(Disclaimer:  just me shooting off my mouth.....)
----------

Seitz@cup.portal.com (Matthew Eric Seitz) (09/16/90)

Hijaak supports .IMG, but not .GEM

steveh@tharr.UUCP (Steve Hamley) (09/18/90)

In article <33963@cup.portal.com> Seitz@cup.portal.com (Matthew Eric Seitz) writes:
>Hijaak supports .IMG, but not .GEM

You may find that the program stores the header in Intel rather than
Motorola format numbers. Therefore, you'll need to do a bit of byte swapping
to get the picture to load correctly on an ST.

--
 /// Steve Hamley  ///  TQM Communications, BCM Box 225, London, WC1N 3XX  ///
///  ...ukc!axion!tharr!steveh  ///  steveh@tharr.uucp  ///  0426 911573  ///

shipley@tron.UUCP (Bill Shipley) (09/18/90)

I have sucessfully imported both .IMG and .GEM files from IBM machines into
EasyDraw on the ST. I initially had problems with .IMG files, but the later
versions of EasyDraw import them. .GEM files transfer in both directions
with no problems other than font differences.

Bill Shipley