[comp.sys.atari.st] My ST crashes

domen@crin.fr (Eric Domenjoud) (09/14/90)

Everytime I have been using my ST for  a couple of  hours, it crashes.
It seems that the bit 6 of odd  addresses is turned  to 1. just before
the crash, black  vertical lines appear on   the screen.  It  is  then
impossible to reboot as long as the computer is warm.  I brought it to
the local ATARI  dealer who was unable to  make the phenomenon happen,
but it still   happens  at my  home, even  if  I  boot my  ST  without
anything: no hard disk, no floppy, nothing! Does anybody already had a
similar problem  and  could say me  what  to  do? Would  it help  if I
changed the RAMs?

My computer is a 520ST with 1M RAM.

Eric

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (09/16/90)

In article <2700@loria.crin.fr> domen@crin.fr (Eric Domenjoud) writes:
>Everytime I have been using my ST for  a couple of  hours, it crashes.
>It seems that the bit 6 of odd  addresses is turned  to 1. just before
>the crash, black  vertical lines appear on   the screen.  It  is  then
>impossible to reboot as long as the computer is warm.
>
>My computer is a 520ST with 1M RAM.

Sounds a lot like a problem I've been having:  the RAM upgrade board
sits directly on top of the 68000, thereby preventing adequate
ventilation.  After a few hours of use I get all sorts of bizzare
behavior (including the vertical lines phenonemon).  I'm sure it's a
heat problem because the 68000 is hot enough to burn my hand when the
problems begin.  Turning a fan directly on the 68000 "fixes" things.
The MMU gets toasty too, which might explain your "bit 6" problem.  Try
running your ST with the top of the case off; the extra ventilation
should alleviate problems like these.  If that doesn't help, it's
probably something else.

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net

hardware@rose.uwaterloo.ca () (09/19/90)

 Ok just so I dont have to write alot of Mail to everyone your ST isnt
dead most likely its your internal power supply. The symptoms of a
failing power supply, include having to reboot many times before
normal operation, repeated bombs on bootup, erradic working one day and not
the next, Lockup during ST operation. Of course there can be many other reasons
eg bad ram chip etc. But from running a bbs for 5 years my number one
problem was simply bad power supply. So to confirm this on a failing power
supply or one thats about to go, get out your multimeter and check the
power coming out of the leads going into your ST. If they are 8-10volts
for the 12 volt line and 2-3 volts for the 5 volt  line your power supply
will act erradic if at all. PS NOTE dont play with your power supply without
knowing something in electronic or you get a nice Zap or worse blow your
keyboard chips. So if you are not techincally inclined borrow a friends
ST for a day switch power supplies and see if that solves your problem. If
it does you have two options buy a newly designed power supply from atari
or fix your existing one. If you plan to fix your existing one you can
start by replacing C12 or C13 large capacitors 2200 and 4700 pf and if
that doesnt help I have replaced C11 and c12 on older model power
supplies. If anyone has any questions leave me mail. Hope that
helps.

 Hardware Dave at your Service