[comp.sys.atari.st] Which System/Finder combo works w/Spectre2.65&TOS1.4

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (09/18/90)

I've been using Spectre 2.65 with the Spectre 128 cartridge and Mac
System 6.0/Finder ??? (something like 6.0).  When I upgraded to TOS 1.4,
Spectre bombs before the Finder comes up, so now I have to use an older
Sys/Finder combo.  Does anyone out there use Spectre with TOS 1.4? What's
the highest System/Finder combo you have gotten to work? I'd like to use
something over 6.0, since I need the newer Control Panel with the cdevs
in the scrolling window on the left.  I haven't checked for viruses yet,
but I don't think a virus is very likely.

Thanks for any help
---jb

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep17.182046.13394@rodan.acs.syr.edu>
jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) writes:
>  What's
> the highest System/Finder combo you have gotten to work?

 System 6.04 is the highest I know about but 6.03 or 6.02 will work fine.
Just don't use 6.0 or 6.01 since those are very buggy. One thing to keep
in mind is that with 6.04, programs think they are running on a Mac
512ke and not a Plus even if you change the flag. Being a Plus works
fine under 6.03 and down.

>  I haven't checked for viruses yet,
> but I don't think a virus is very likely.

 Reinstall the system. If I remember correctly, people on the net reported
initial problems with hds and tos 1.4. It never happened to me since I
reformatted as soon as I got tos 1.4 and I really enjoy the speed
improvement!!!

 BTW, I use 6.04 since none of the programs I use care about being in a
512ke.

Marshall
--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu

wilko@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (W.C. Bulte) (09/18/90)

I have worked with a Spectre 128 V 2.65 and TOS 1.4 with System/Finder
V 6.02 with no problems.

I have also tried 6.04 and this also appears to work, but it is
rumoured to be instable. I have seen a Spectre 3.0 announcement from Gadgets
which indicates that 6.04 and 6.05 'now work fine' so I think these versions
may be instable on Spectre 2.65

Wilko

 |   / o / /  _   Wilko Bulte   Domain: wilko@idca.tds.philips.nl
 |/|/ / / /( (_)                uucp  : [mcsun,hp4nl]!philapd!wilko
* Philips Information Systems Nederland   phone:  055-432372 fax: 055-432103

baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) (09/19/90)

In article <50164@brunix.UUCP> mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes:
>Just don't use 6.0 or 6.01 since those are very buggy. One thing to keep
>in mind is that with 6.04, programs think they are running on a Mac
>512ke and not a Plus even if you change the flag. Being a Plus works
>fine under 6.03 and down.

	(this is primarily addressed to Dave Small, and company)

	I have been told that MacII (that is, color Mac) emulation is not
likely to be forthcoming, due to the "deathgrip" Mac has on the color ROMs.
What I was wondering is if SE emulation would be at all likely as a future
enhancement to the Spectre line?  Would SE/30 emulation be possible with the
(near) advent of the TT?  Or does Mac have an equally tight "deathgrip" on
those ROMs as well?

-Mike