[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari ST advice wanted

dan@wet.UUCP (Daniel Tauber) (09/17/90)

Hello Net:

I just aquired an Atari 1040ST (circa 1985) and need some information and
advice.

First off, could someone recommend programs to do the following:
	* Telecommunications (does Kermit for the Atari ST exist?)
	* A GIF viewer.
	* A word processor that supports a Epson printer and
		either a HP Laserjet II or Postscript.
	* A command line shell.
	* A scientific calculator.
I'm interested in hearing about public domain, shareware, or commercial
software.  If it is public domain or shareware I'd need a way to get
a copy on disk since right now all I have is the vt52 program that
comes with the machine. Does anyone know of a U.S. Mail service for
public domain disks?

Secondly, I assume this machine has TOS/GEM 1.0.  (When I select the
About option in the desk menu the copyright is 1985).  What would
getting the new version of TOS do for me?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Dan Tauber
dan@wet.uucp

uucp:	...{ucsfcca | claris}!wet!dan
i-net:	cca.ucsf.edu!wet!dan@cgl.ucsf.edu
-or-	claris!wet!dan@ames.arc.nasa.gov

In article <1537@wet.UUCP> dan@wet.UUCP (Daniel Tauber) writes:
>Hello Net:
>
>I just aquired an Atari 1040ST (circa 1985) and need some information and
>advice.
>
>First off, could someone recommend programs to do the following:
>	* Telecommunications (does Kermit for the Atari ST exist?)
Uniterm. Free. Best comm program available for any microcomputer, ever. Lots
of file transfer protocol support, including Kermit.

>	* A GIF viewer.
>	* A word processor that supports a Epson printer and
>		either a HP Laserjet II or Postscript.
Try WordUp 3.0, commercial program with thesaurus and dictionary. (Proximity).
WordUp is from NeoCept, who also make Laserjet drivers. Epson support is no
problem at all.

>	* A command line shell.
Gulaam. Free. Fast, powerful. Command line integrated with micro-emacs.
Very convenient...

>	* A scientific calculator.
TI59 desk accessory. Free. If you want a command-line program, check the
calculator from Mark Williams. Comes with C source code, infinite precision.

>Secondly, I assume this machine has TOS/GEM 1.0.  (When I select the
>About option in the desk menu the copyright is 1985).  What would
>getting the new version of TOS do for me?
Peace of mind. Fewer bugs. Slightly faster performance. I think it's
worth it.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip