From JOHNM@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au Tue Sep 18 00:38:28 1990
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 90 14:33 +1000
From: John Mann <johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au>
Subject: RE: Who is your sys adm? (mail address)
Sender: John Mann <JOHNM@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au>
To: swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu, ALLANT@VAXC.CC.MONASH.EDU.AU,
        SIMON@BANYAN.CC.MONASH.EDU.AU, CRAIG@BANYAN.CC.MONASH.EDU.AU,
        IANSAV@BANYAN.CC.MONASH.EDU.AU

swood,

>         Well, I was a little more worried about a user on your system who
> has been offending people on the net.  I have a few individuals who would
> like to file complaints to the system types at your host.

I'm very sad to hear that one of our users has been causing problems.
Mail to  system@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  to speak to the VAX systems
programmers, or mail to  pra@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  to reach the
Computer Centre Director.

I assure you we take such problems seriously, and will make some effort
to make sure it doesn't happen again.

        John
--
John Mann, Computer Centre, Monash University, Clayton VIC 3168, Australia
Net: johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  Ph: +61 3 565 4774  FAX: +61 3 565 4746

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (09/19/90)

Peace loving ST users, please ignore Scott Wood's comment:

	For the fact that I have done the footwork, I told him that I
	would not send a retort, but I leave it to you to do so for
	yourselves if you feel so inclined (please do)

Their sysadmin has terminated PETRA's account.  I include their reply:

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 13:13 +1000
From: Peter Annal <PRA@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au>
Subject: Action against user Petra

Thank you for bringing to my attention the abuse of the NEWS network by the
person Petra. Obviously we cannot be responsible for the items posted by
users but we do treat the matter seriously and take action when we know of
the problem.

We disabled the account of this person once we knew the network name and are
awaiting an opportunity to take the matter further with him or her.

Thank you again for your help, I hope there will be no further incidents.

Peter Annal
Director, Computer Centre
Monash University
Australia
--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.