[comp.sys.atari.st] Multi-Sync Monitor <> Monochrome monitor

helin@vehka.uta.fi (Mikko Helin) (09/18/90)

Hi!

Has anybody out there tried to use a multi-sync monitor as
a monochrome monitor? If it's possible - please tell me how.

Mikko

In article <1578@kielo.uta.fi> helin@vehka.uta.fi (Mikko Helin) writes:
>Hi!
>
>Has anybody out there tried to use a multi-sync monitor as
>a monochrome monitor? If it's possible - please tell me how.
>
>Mikko

Yeah, I use a Talon Omniswitch with my multisync monitor. Works OK, although
the image is smaller than I'm used to. (14" monitor, .25mm dot pitch.) With
overscan, the 732x480 display is pretty decent. Color mode is just fine, of
course. No problems with monochrome either. If you're going to build your own
cable for the purpose, just bring the monochrome out signal from the ST video
connector to all 3 R, G, & B inputs of the monitor. (Along with the rest
of the sync & ground stuff, of course.)
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

mingliu@athena.mit.edu (Minghsun Liu) (09/20/90)

In article <1578@kielo.uta.fi>, helin@vehka.uta.fi (Mikko Helin) writes:
|> Hi!
|>
|> Has anybody out there tried to use a multi-sync monitor as
|> a monochrome monitor? If it's possible - please tell me how.
|>
|> Mikko

Yes, and my recommendation would be to get a mono monitor and a color monitor, if you can afford the DESK SPACE. (Price is about the same)  With three guns trying to simulate the effect of one, the image on an average-priced multi-sync monitor is not as sharp as the mono monitor, made by JVC, from Atari.  So unless you absolutely can't afford the desk space and can pay for a better multi-sync monitor (ex: those from Sony and NEC), I would recommend getting two monitors instead.

					Minghsun Liu

"Do not ask who I am and do not ask me to remain the same: leave it to our bureacrats and our police to see that our papers are in order.  At least spare us their morality when we write."				- Michel Foucault