[comp.sys.atari.st] 1040 + GCR + 2nd drive = Mac ;

kar7481@cuphub.cup.edu (09/14/90)

I own a 1040stf (TOS 1.2) and a Spectre-GCR (v2.65).

I have found that while it IS POSSIBLE to **EXECUTE** Hypercard Stacks,
Hypercard simply **WILL NOT** let you use **ANY** of the EDITING TOOLS

---I was using my ST as a 832k system, but the EDIT BOX in Hypercard
was still unselectable...

I have also found that on an actual Mac Plus (1mb) , you CAN NOT CREATE
any Hypercard stacks(programs) because the EDIT TOOLS (again) are NOT
selectable.

Let me re-emphasize: YOU NEED MORE THAN 1-MEG TO ^WRITE^ ANYTHING
		     IN HYPERCARD!!!

I took my 1040 up to 2mb with the *** J.R.I. SIMMS upgrade board ***
I also had a second video shifter added too (socket on-board) and can enjoy
a 4096-colour pallate now instead of 512. Still 16 at once, but at least
its a TRUE 16-shade Gray-scale.

Again: Go To 2mb and buy a second floppy or a hard drive if you plan on doing
       Anything with the GCR! A real Mac is also a bitch to work with
       without a second drive(hard or floppy)!!!

!AvaST-Development           uucp:  kar7481@pitt!cuphub.cup.edu         !
!Dan Karbowsky,R&D                   	              	                !
!102 Lee Drive    Belle Vernon, PA  15012-2016                          !

bro@eunomia.rice.edu (Douglas Monk) (09/22/90)

In article <10181@cuphub.cup.edu> kar7481@cuphub.cup.edu writes:
>I have found that while it IS POSSIBLE to **EXECUTE** Hypercard Stacks,
>Hypercard simply **WILL NOT** let you use **ANY** of the EDITING TOOLS
>Let me re-emphasize: YOU NEED MORE THAN 1-MEG TO ^WRITE^ ANYTHING
>		     IN HYPERCARD!!!
The limitation seems to be free memory seen in Mac mode rather than actual ST
memory: I wrote stacks using System 5.3/Finder 4.1[<-?] with a 1-Meg 520
and had no problem. Maybe you need to cut down on Mac accessories and fonts,
too, but I recall my system was pretty loaded and still worked fine.(I have
more memory now and use System 6.0.2.)

Doug Monk (bro@rice.edu)

Disclaimer: These views are mine, not necessarily my organization's.