[comp.sys.atari.st] Binary File Transfer

slyster@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lyster) (09/20/90)

Does anyone in the ST world know about sending ARC or LZH files via

binary  transfer, which is the equivolent of coding the ARC'ed file as

ASCII text  and then posting it as a "message"?  Apparently sender

needs to code the  file appropriately, and the receiver must have the

decoder... does anyone  know of such a beast for the ST?  If so, it

might be made use of here!

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (09/20/90)

[In article <59qRP1w163w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca>,
     slyster@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lyster) writes ... ]

> Does anyone in the ST world know about sending ARC or LZH files via
>
> binary  transfer, which is the equivolent of coding the ARC'ed file as
>
> ASCII text  and then posting it as a "message"?  Apparently sender
>
> needs to code the  file appropriately, and the receiver must have the
>
> decoder... does anyone  know of such a beast for the ST?  If so, it
>
> might be made use of here!

Of course. Binary files are regularly transmitted in the proper
newsgroup (comp.binaries.atari.st), encoded into ASCII with the
standard ``uue'' program, which is available for the ST, PC and
most other machines.

C, executable binary and BASIC versions of the companion decoder are
available from the archive-server@panarthea.EBay.SUN.COM.

 --
 Steve Yelvington up at the lake in Minnesota
 (moving soon to Marine on St. Croix)

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (09/20/90)

In article <59qRP1w163w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca>, slyster@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lyster) writes:
>Does anyone in the ST world know about sending ARC or LZH files via
>binary  transfer, which is the equivolent of coding the ARC'ed file as
>ASCII text  and then posting it as a "message"?  Apparently sender
>needs to code the  file appropriately, and the receiver must have the
>decoder... does anyone  know of such a beast for the ST?  If so, it
>might be made use of here!

It sounds like you need uue.ttp and uud.ttp.  They are Atari binaries that
mimic the Un*x uuencode and uudecode (used by UUCP).  They convert binaries
to slighly larger files consisting of only select ASCII characters (those which
have an EBCDIC counterpart for one, so they can survive passage through an IBM
gateway).  These files can then be mailed (and also ASCII downloaded, if you
don't have xmodem or kermit available).  I believe I got mine via ftp from
atari.archive some time ago.  I have two different sets of binaries, one called
uudecode/uuencode.ttp, the other uud/uue.ttp.  The second set seems faster and
more user friendly (IMHO). If you cannot find them, let me know and we can
work something out.

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (09/23/90)

Could someone PLEASE mail me the UUE & UUD files?
I have the the uudecode & uuecode.ttp files but they freak every once in a
 while, are the others better?

Ed June