[comp.sys.atari.st] Looking for Go

kllove@uokmax.uucp (Kenneth L Love) (09/18/90)

Does anybody know of a good GO game?  It doesn't matter if it's PD, ShareWare,
or commercial.  It needs to have rules on play and maybe a few strategies and
a computer player (optional 2-player mode).  I don't care about much else.

                                                 Thanx in advance,
                                                 Kenneth Love

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep18.030523.13180@uokmax.uucp>, kllove@uokmax.uucp (Kenneth L Love) writes:

>Does anybody know of a good GO game?  It doesn't matter if it's PD, ShareWare,
>or commercial.  It needs to have rules on play and maybe a few strategies and
>a computer player (optional 2-player mode).  I don't care about much else.
>
>                                                 Thanx in advance,
>                                                 Kenneth Love

There is a file called GNUGO.ARC at terminator (atari.archive).
--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an

t19@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep18.030523.13180@uokmax.uucp> kllove@uokmax.uucp (Kenneth L Love) writes:

>Does anybody know of a good GO game?  It doesn't matter if it's PD, ShareWare,
>or commercial.  ..

Try Goliath, it won last year's World Championship (computer Go).  It costs fl
99,=, with the dollar at 1,70 Dutch guilders today (I think - can't you
Americans keep it a bit more steady?).  Works both in high and medium rez.

Geert Jan van Oldenborgh

swklassen@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Steven W. Klassen) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.030523.13180@uokmax.uucp> kllove@uokmax.uucp (Kenneth L Love) writes:

>Does anybody know of a good GO game?  It doesn't matter if it's PD, ShareWare,
>or commercial.  It needs to have rules on play and maybe a few strategies and
>a computer player (optional 2-player mode).  I don't care about much else.
>
>                                                 Thanx in advance,
>                                                 Kenneth Love

I have a very nice version, call GOMOKU from some company called Mindgames.
I don't know the specifics off hand but can look them up (I have the
box back home) so let me know if you want details (like the address
of the company) and I will dig them up.

					- Steven W. Klassen

rlee@weaver.ads.com (Richard Lee) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.173742.16386@watdragon.waterloo.edu> swklassen@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Steven W. Klassen) writes:

|In article <1990Sep18.030523.13180@uokmax.uucp> kllove@uokmax.uucp (Kenneth L Love) writes:
|>
|>Does anybody know of a good GO game?

|I have a very nice version, call GOMOKU from some company called Mindgames.

Actually, Gomoku is the regular name of a game that is played using the
same board and markers as Go, but is much simpler than Go.  Unless
Mindgames is confused (or I am), I don't think this will satisfy
Kenneth.
--
 RICHARD LEE     rlee@ads.com  or  ...!{sri-spam | ames}!zodiac!rlee
 415-960-7300    ADS, 1500 Plymouth St., Mtn. View CA 94043-1230

swklassen@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Steven W. Klassen) (09/21/90)

In article <RLEE.90Sep18135648@weaver.ads.com> rlee@weaver.ads.com (Richard Lee) writes:

>Actually, Gomoku is the regular name of a game that is played using the
>same board and markers as Go, but is much simpler than Go.  Unless
>Mindgames is confused (or I am), I don't think this will satisfy
>Kenneth.

Richard may well be correct.  GO-MOKU may not be the same as GO.  (I wouldn't
know.)  At any rate, I got a couple of e-mail requests for more info so I
decided to put it on the net.

First, I couldn't find an address either on the package or in the documentation.
Here is what it did say.

The company is ATARI MINDGAMES (a division of Atari?).  There are two copyright
notices as follows:
	(c) 1988 Atari Corp. (UK) Ltd.
	(c) 1988 Bray Research Ltd.

I could not find an address on the package but I'm sure someone on the
net can get an address for Atari Corp. (UK).

The package includes two games, GO-MOKU and a similar one called RENJU.
It includes brief instructions on how to play the games, including the
basic rules of the games.  It also includes options for 'book' openings
(a particular sequence of opening moves), stepping backward or forward
through a games, and even has an advise move option.  It has nine
difficulty levels.  I have not yet managed to defeat the upper levels
at all but I cannot claim to be a professional GO-MOKU or RENJU player.

It works find on a 1040 STF with a monochrome monitor but claims to work
on any 520, 1040, or MEGA with either monochrome or colour.

I purchased the game for about $10 from a 'bargain shelf' on a computer
store in Oshawa, Ont., Canada.  I don't know if it is still available or
not.

				- Steven W. Klassen
				  (Almost a graduate!!)
				  University of Waterloo

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (09/21/90)

Furthermore, there is a PD/shareware version of the latter GOMOKU that
came across the net some time back.  It has very nice graphics.

On the other hand, I haven't heard of good GO programs.  There does
exist GNU GO, but I don't know if it's been ported to the ST.

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

ant@mks.com (Anthony Howe) (09/23/90)

>On the other hand, I haven't heard of good GO programs.  There does
>exist GNU GO, but I don't know if it's been ported to the ST.

I ported it a year ago and sent it off to comp.{binaries,sources}.atari.st
If you look in the archive I'm sure you'll find GNUGO some where. The port
was trival since there are no fancy graphics.

- ant

--
            __                               "So many pedestrians
 _  . .-|- / _\ .  . |_  _.    _  _  .  .     So little time."

flo_h@mcshh.hanse.de (Florian Hars) (09/23/90)

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:

>On the other hand, I haven't heard of good GO programs.  There does
>exist GNU GO, but I don't know if it's been ported to the ST.

It has been ported, but you might as well write a short program putting
markers at random, it would be quite as good.
Forget GNUGO.

Bye, Florian.

-->
Florian Hars         | Close to the middle of the network
flo_h@mcshh.hanse.de | It seems we're looking for a center
D-2000 Hamburg       | What if it turns out to be hollow?
                     |                         - Suzanne Vega

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (09/24/90)

I just found a nifty mono-only go that looks very nice.  I am not a go player,
but one of the features is the ability to load historically significant games
to look at them (there are several included with the program).  This would
lead me to believe that this is a "real" go (not a subset of).  I would not
mind posting it to comp.binaries.atari.st, except I do not know how.  Could
someone email me the instruction posting?

--