[comp.sys.atari.st] Spectrum 512, SPU >> SPC ?

archbold (Archie Jaszcz) (09/15/90)

> program it dosn't work.  Does anyone know of either a way to convert these to
> SPC (sprectum compresed) files or where I may find a viewer for the SPUs?
>                                                  John Tallarico

        The program that does this (although it converts *.SPU to
*.SPS--same quality, less storage required).  It's called SPSLIDEX.  You
can get it on many boards including the official Atari board in CA.  I
live in OH, if you're close by and willing, we could arrange for a
'personal' tranfer...  It is a great program...

                        Archbold

rlee@weaver.ads.com (Richard Lee) (09/18/90)

In article <V3uiP2w163w@bluemoon.UUCP> archbold (Archie Jaszcz) writes:

|> Does anyone know of either a way to convert these to
|> SPC (sprectum compresed) files or where I may find a viewer for the SPUs?
   ^^^
|>                                                  John Tallarico

|        The program that does this (although it converts *.SPU to
|*.SPS--same quality, less storage required).  It's called SPSLIDEX.  You
   ^^^
|can get it on many boards including the official Atari board in CA.  I
|live in OH, if you're close by and willing, we could arrange for a
|'personal' tranfer...  It is a great program...

Um, Archie... John was asking about SPC, not SPS.  Every program I have
seen for displaying Spectrum pictures displays both SPU and SPC but not
SPS; in recent e-mail he told me had found one.  Meanwhile, _I_ have an
SPS file I can't do anything with.  Does SPSLIDEX in fact display or
convert _SPS_ files?
--
 RICHARD LEE     rlee@ads.com  or  ...!{sri-spam | ames}!zodiac!rlee
 415-960-7300    ADS, 1500 Plymouth St., Mtn. View CA 94043-1230

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (09/18/90)

rlee@weaver.ads.com (Richard Lee) writes:

- Um, Archie... John was asking about SPC, not SPS.  Every program I
- have seen for displaying Spectrum pictures displays both SPU and SPC
- but not SPS; in recent e-mail he told me had found one.  Meanwhile,
- _I_ have an SPS file I can't do anything with.  Does SPSLIDEX in
- fact display or convert _SPS_ files?

There are *TWO* kinds of .SPS files.  Typically, if the .SPS file is
less than 51K, it's a picture and requires the use of SPSLIDEX to view
it.  SPSLIDEX also converts .SPU and .SPC to .SPS.  When converting
from .SPS, it spits it out as .SPU.  Furthermore, Spectrum 512 will
not recognize .SPS pictures, since SPSLIDEX was written by someone
not affiliated with Trio Engineering.  You must first convert them.
Finally, files larger than 51K are Unispec animations.  I have three
and have never seen any others.  These require the public domain
program, ANISPEC, to view.  These are 512-color animations.

Jeepers, maybe Dave could put this in the Tips and Hints section of
"Welcome to CSAS?"  I'd just better not let it go to my head. :^)

archbold (Archie Jaszcz) (09/18/90)

> Um, Archie... John was asking about SPC, not SPS.  Every program I have
> seen for displaying Spectrum pictures displays both SPU and SPC but not
> SPS; in recent e-mail he told me had found one.  Meanwhile, _I_ have an
> SPS file I can't do anything with.  Does SPSLIDEX in fact display or
> convert _SPS_ files?
> --
>  RICHARD LEE     rlee@ads.com  or  ...!{sri-spam | ames}!zodiac!rlee
>  415-960-7300    ADS, 1500 Plymouth St., Mtn. View CA 94043-1230

        SPSLIDEX displays and converts files.  You can even do a slide
show, display all files in 'stereo' and other neat stuff.  Same thing
happened to me!  That is:  I had some *.sps files and I couldn't display
them, so I had to do a fair deal of looking for the program before I found
it.  If you're interested, lemme know.

        Sorry I didn't reply through e-mail, but it doesn't exacly work on
our board yet.

                        Archbold

aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.051622.17644@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@cscihp.UUCP (Ed Krimen) writes:
>Finally, files larger than 51K are Unispec animations.  I have three
>and have never seen any others.  These require the public domain
>program, ANISPEC, to view.  These are 512-color animations.

Sorry, I tried sending this by mailed but it bounced.

Where can ANISPEC be found? Does it allow viewing of single files?
SPSLIDEX (if I remember correctly) only works at 60HZ (for viewing,
although conversion to SPS works OK).

Thanks,
Mark.

rlee@weaver.ads.com (Richard Lee) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep19.213509.16841@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> kllove@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Kenneth L Love) writes:

|In article <i69oP1w163w@bluemoon.UUCP> you write:
|>        SPSLIDEX displays and converts files.  You can even do a slide
|>show, display all files in 'stereo' and other neat stuff.  Same thing
|>happened to me!  That is:  I had some *.sps files and I couldn't display
|>them, so I had to do a fair deal of looking for the program before I found
|>it.  If you're interested, lemme know.
|>
|I'm interested.  I  don't know about the other guy though.  Is this program
|shareware or PD or commercial?  Is it available through FTP (if PD or SW)?

I'm "the other guy".  Yes, I ftp'd it from Terminator
(atari/graphics/spslidex.arc), but haven't had a chance to try it yet...

--

kllove@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Kenneth L Love) (09/20/90)

In article <i69oP1w163w@bluemoon.UUCP> you write:
>        SPSLIDEX displays and converts files.  You can even do a slide
>show, display all files in 'stereo' and other neat stuff.  Same thing
>happened to me!  That is:  I had some *.sps files and I couldn't display
>them, so I had to do a fair deal of looking for the program before I found
>it.  If you're interested, lemme know.
>
>                        Archbold

I'm interested.  I  don't know about the other guy though.  Is this program
shareware or PD or commercial?  Is it available through FTP (if PD or SW)?

                                                  Kenneth Love

archbold (Archie Jaszcz) (09/25/90)

kllove@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Kenneth L Love) writes:

> I'm interested.  I  don't know about the other guy though.  Is this program
> shareware or PD or commercial?  Is it available through FTP (if PD or SW)?
>
>                                                   Kenneth Love

        I hate to be replying through the net, and not e-mail, but I'm not
sure if my e-mail to you wouldn't bounce back, so here it is:

        The program is PD (it surely IS NOT commercial cuz I got it at a
pd ONLY board somewhere in USA).  I doubt if it is available on FTP, but
I'd check if I were you.  I haven't been to FTP, so I don't know much
about it.

        Anyway, if you'd like to d/l, we could arrange for a transfer (I
live in OH) or you could call one of the boards I u/l the program to.

                        Archbold
                        osu-cis!n8emr!bluemoon!archbold

Disclaimer:  I haven't seen Veronica lately!