[comp.sys.atari.st] What's up with STart

yegerleh@vivaldi.ecn.purdue.edu (James D Yegerlehner) (09/16/90)

Subject: What's up with STart?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st

dear netters,

Locally I've noticed that the most recent issue of STart on the
newstands is the August issue.  I figure we should have seen at least
the October issue by now.  Is this the case elsewhere?  How about
you guys with subscriptions, are they running behind?  If so
does anyone know why?

Jim

	"Laufet Brueder, Eure Bahn,
	 Freudig wie ein Held zum Siegen!"
				- Friedrich v. Schiller

ron@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Ronald J. Rangel) (09/16/90)

Antic died and STart is now revamped to include what Antic had inside of
it.  The next issue of STart will be the Oct. issue.

-Ron

goo@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Michael Goo) (09/18/90)

I saw the new issue (not the Aug issue) in the store a couple of days ago.
I'm not sure if it was dated Oct or Sept, but it did say that it now includes
Antic.  As for subscibers, I'm one and I had to pull teeth to get my Aug
issue and have not received the new issue yet.  (grumble...grumble...)

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (09/19/90)

From article <1990Sep16.021856.27654@ecn.purdue.edu>, by yegerleh@vivaldi.ecn.purdue.edu (James D Yegerlehner):

> Subject: What's up with STart?

> dear netters,

> Locally I've noticed that the most recent issue of STart on the
> newstands is the August issue.  I figure we should have seen at least
> the October issue by now.  Is this the case elsewhere?  How about
> you guys with subscriptions, are they running behind?  If so
> does anyone know why?

> Jim

Yes, I do know.  I believe I read it in Znet (thanks Greg L.).  STart
is taking a month off to reorganize.  The new version will incorporate
Antic (8 bit stuff) and may in future send programs out on regular
double sided disks - at least 720K.
Hope this isn't the 50 millionth post on this subject, if so my apologies.

Bob Pegram
		Internet: pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
		UUCP: uunet!uvm-gen!pegram

georgen@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (G. Ng) (09/19/90)

In article <1657@uvm-gen.UUCP> pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) writes:

>Yes, I do know.  I believe I read it in Znet (thanks Greg L.).  STart
>is taking a month off to reorganize.  The new version will incorporate
>Antic (8 bit stuff) and may in future send programs out on regular
>double sided disks - at least 720K.
>Hope this isn't the 50 millionth post on this subject, if so my apologies.

That's funny...STart used be part of Antic magazine when it was first
introduced (as an ST section).  Now the 8-bit Ataris are a section in the
ST magazine.  My, how times change...(speaking of which, I recently got a
386sx machine.  Hmm, what to do with a 1040....:-)

--
George Ng (Univ. of Toronto, Comp Sci)        |"Sure, I would like Canadian
HOME: uunet!mnetor!{becker,hybrid}!spocom!gng | winters too - if it weren't

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (09/19/90)

>>Locally I've noticed that the most recent issue of STart on the
>>newstands is the August issue.  I figure we should have seen at least
>>the October issue by now.  Is this the case elsewhere?  How about
>>you guys with subscriptions, are they running behind?  If so
>>does anyone know why?
>
>I have a subscription to STart and it is also running late.  A local Atari
>store in my area has contacted STart as was told that they are combining
>STart and Antic into a single magazine.  This, and the process of taking over
>the subscriptions of other defunct ST mags, has caused a delay in publishing
>STart.  I'm not sure when they will be back up to full speed.

The October issue of STart arrived in Seattle area stores about a week ago.
The September issue was cancelled so that they can have more time to do
this new changeover. Antic is now merged in, and former readers of ANALOG
and ST-LOG are now receiving START subscriptions. Frankly, the new STart
looks much like the old one. I don't know why they skipped an issue
considering how much advertizing revenue they gave up.

- Darek

  Darek Mihocka                            All views expressed are my own.
  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.212753.17924@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> georgen@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (G. Ng) writes:
>  My, how times change...(speaking of which, I recently got a
>386sx machine.  Hmm, what to do with a 1040....:-)

Well, I recently got a 386SX machine, and I find that I can use my 1040 the
same way as I used to use it, and that for some programs which can accept
input from a serial port (the Mark Williams debugger db comes to mind), a
terminal emulator running on the 386SX machine is a useful tool.

This isn't to say that the PC clone doesn't have other uses--just that the
ST has all the utility it used to have.
                                  Steve J.

don@col.hp.com (Don Allison) (09/20/90)

Bill Shroka writes:
>                                                       ....  A local Atari
>store in my area has contacted STart as was told that they are combining
>STart and Antic into a single magazine.  This, and the process of taking over
>the subscriptions of other defunct ST mags, has caused a delay in publishing
>STart.  I'm not sure when they will be back up to full speed.

I find this rather sad.  When STart first began publication, it was to be
a magazine for programmers and people developing new applications for the
ST.  One of it's stated goals was to be chock full of source code listings on
the (almost mandatory) disk.  It was to be a quarterly, and was NOT supposed
to include beginners tips, simple BASIC programs, or the like...these were
to be left to the other ST magazines, including the ST columns that were
to remain in Antic.  Reviews were only to be minimally included, and were to
be more things like an article comparing all the available C compilers for
the ST, etc.

Based on it's stated goals and first issues, I subscribed enthusiastically.
However, with the passing of time I've noticed it gradually turning into
just another ST games review magazine.  (In fact, even with all the noise,
the ST notes groups lately have been carrying more technical info than a
typical issue of STart!)  In the quest for more circulation and larger
revenues and a broader reader base, they have lowered themselve to the
common denominator, and in my opinion, anyway, killed all that was good
about the magazine originally (especially when they went monthly and had
to start including fluff as filler to pad out the issue to make it look a
reasonable size).  With Antic now merging with it again, it looks like the
end of it's usefulness is about to be completed.

Sorry for the dreary diatribe, but I felt a eulogy was in order.  Now for
my question:  Does anyone know of a magazine for the ST, published anywhere
in the world (preferably in English, but other languages are okay) that still
does what STart started out to do?  ie, are there any ST magazines that still
publish programming tips, source code, hardware mods and upgrades, and articles
on novel applications for the ST?  If so, could you please email me information
on how to subscribe to that publication?  If I get any useful answers, I will
post a summary.

Thanks!
Don Allison
don@col.hp.com

hardware@rose.uwaterloo.ca () (09/20/90)

In article <40250005@hpindda.cup.hp.com> goo@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Michael Goo) writes:

>I saw the new issue (not the Aug issue) in the store a couple of days ago.
>I'm not sure if it was dated Oct or Sept, but it did say that it now includes
>Antic.  As for subscibers, I'm one and I had to pull teeth to get my Aug
>issue and have not received the new issue yet.  (grumble...grumble...)

  Ok since not everyone has heard there will be no Sept Issue of Start
instead start and antic are merging to form a large new magazine for
October to include 124 pages of interesting articles for both computers
It is even planning on maybe covering the Lynx or Portfolio computers.
Some say its a step backwards other say its a vast improvement. I beleive
its a cost saving measure to keep 8-bit articles in the new magazine.
It wants to be known as the all encompassing Atari Magazine. So if
you have seen the October issue what was it like?

 Hardware Dave

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (09/20/90)

In article <16830002@col.hp.com> don@col.hp.com (Don Allison) writes:
> Now for
> my question:  Does anyone know of a magazine for the ST, published
anywhere
> in the world (preferably in English, but other languages are okay) that
still
> does what STart started out to do?

 I posted this to the net because I thought other people might be
interested. The magazine that I found has some nice technical articles
is ST World from the UK (not the one from Oregon). It has a very nice
programming column (Isn't it run by Mathew Lodge? and isn't he on the net?)
and general reviews. The letters column is a joy since it keeps threads
of letters going. If I remember correctly, ST World has gone quarterly
so I guess its even more like STart wanted originally to be.
 You should be able to find it at most dealers and quite a few mail-order
dealers carry it.

 Take care,
Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (09/25/90)

From article <50476@brunix.UUCP>, by mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale):

> The magazine that I found has some nice technical articles
> is ST World from the UK (not the one from Oregon). It has a very nice
> programming column (Isn't it run by Mathew Lodge? and isn't he on the net?)
> and general reviews. The letters column is a joy since it keeps threads
> of letters going. If I remember correctly, ST World has gone quarterly
> so I guess its even more like STart wanted originally to be.

ST World has indeed gone quarterly, but it's mostly full of reviews
(including some large-scale comparative reviews called 'Supertests') and
"buyers' guide" information (prices, current software versions, etc.)
rather than technical articles.

Mathew Lodge's "Programmer's Clinic" is now in the disk magazine
distributed with ST World's sister magazine Atari ST User.  (This is
monthly, and is more games-oriented.)  The Clinic doesn't seem to have
as many contributions as it used to.  I've not seen Mathew on the net
for some time now; I think he lost his Userid at the University of York
in the Summer.

The original posting asked about magazines with technical content, even
if they weren't in English.  I've not seen the German magazine 'ST
Computer' for over a year now, but it used to be full of heavy-duty
programming articles.  Maybe a German contributor could give us an
update and the addresses of the better magazines there?

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma   BITNET: grahamt%syma.sussex.ac.uk@UKACRL