[comp.sys.atari.st] Q: control panel and HD-controller

joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen) (09/25/90)

Two questions, both occurred after installing a new harddisk last
week. It is a 69MB harddisk (Rodime if I'm correct).
Let's start with a 'simple' one:

(1) The mouse-response is very low. For example resizing a window, by dragging
    the lower-left corner is hard, because after pressing the mouse-button it
    takes about 0.5 second before draws the window rubberband. Also double-
    clicking on a folder must be done with care. Double-click and directly
    moving the mousepointer downwards causes another folder to be opened.
    This problem is caused by the slow mouse-response setting in the control-
    panel. After changing this value to '3', the problem is solved. After
    a reset, the problem occurs again (saving the desktop doesn't help).
    Is this caused by the old tos I use (1.0)?

(2) Internally I swapped my SH204 disk with a 69MB harddisk. It works
    fine except for some statistic programs. The new harddisk should be
    about 28ms, but RATEHD gives 60ms and another program even -8ms (?!?).
    Someone told me that this was caused by an error in the SH204 interface
    and that the disk IS 28ms, but different values are returned when
    running statistics. Is that possible or what? Is there another way
    to check the disks access-time?

Joep,

Joep Mathijssen
TNO Institute for Perception    Phone : +31 34 63 562 11
P.O. Box 23          		Fax   : +31 34 63 539 77
3769 ZG  Soesterberg    	E-mail: uunet!hp4nl.nluug.nl!tnosoes!joep
The Netherlands         	    or: joep@izf.tno.nl

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (09/26/90)

joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen) writes:

>(2) Internally I swapped my SH204 disk with a 69MB harddisk. It works
>    fine except for some statistic programs. The new harddisk should be
>    about 28ms, but RATEHD gives 60ms and another program even -8ms (?!?).
>    Someone told me that this was caused by an error in the SH204 interface
>    and that the disk IS 28ms, but different values are returned when
>    running statistics. Is that possible or what? Is there another way
>    to check the disks access-time?
The SH204 host adapter doesn't return any status other than 0. This makes
many programs go wild that try to get some error codes from your hard disk;
maybe including the access rate test programs you were using.

This reminds me that I wanted to post my new CHECKHD version on the net.
This is a hard disk test program of mine. I never posted a program, so
can somebody possibly help me? Tnx so much.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de