[comp.sys.atari.st] PCDittoI and booting from a hard disk

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (09/28/90)

Well, I've done this twice now, so I think I've got an idea of
what is going on.  But since I did the same thing months
apart, I wanted to find out if I'm right before going through
this whole procedure again.

I was able to set up dos so that it would start from my hard
disk (i.e. drive C:), when using PCDittoI--software version.
After not using PCDitto for a couple of days, however, I found
that I was no longer able to boot dos from the hard disk.  As
I said, I did this a few months ago and in just the past few
days.  This time I think I figured out what I did:  I
installed G+Plus and resorted my Auto folder.  So, my question
is:  Does resorting the Auto folder somehow wipe out the dos
boot?  If so, I want to make sure of my set up before going
through the formatting procedure again.

Thanks very much in advance.  You can email me directly or
post to the net.
---Gerry
maxg@suvm (bitnet)
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu

hojo@cbnewsl.att.com (HC Johnson) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep28.015326.17385@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
> Well, I've done this twice now, so I think I've got an idea of
> what is going on.  But since I did the same thing months
> apart, I wanted to find out if I'm right before going through
> this whole procedure again.
>
> I was able to set up dos so that it would start from my hard
> disk (i.e. drive C:), when using PCDittoI--software version.
> After not using PCDitto for a couple of days, however, I found
> that I was no longer able to boot dos from the hard disk.  As
> I said, I did this a few months ago and in just the past few
> days.  This time I think I figured out what I did:  I
> installed G+Plus and resorted my Auto folder.  So, my question
> is:  Does resorting the Auto folder somehow wipe out the dos
> boot?  If so, I want to make sure of my set up before going
> through the formatting procedure again.

No the auto folder should not affect this.

PCDitto require that both C: and D: have valid IBM headers.  TOS doesn't
care if the IBM header is there or not.  The D: thing is curious but
its how I experienced it, and after disassembling the code, read it that
way.  Its a bug; now a feature!.

Also, for the C: to boot the IBMCOM and BIOS files must be the first in
the FAT and Directory.  If your resorter for the Auto folder or G+
muck arround with the order of these files you won't boot either.

Howard Johnson
ATT BELL LABS
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep28.200124.10382@cbnewsl.att.com> hojo@cbnewsl.att.com (HC Johnson) writes:
>In article <1990Sep28.015326.17385@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>> I was able to set up dos so that it would start from my hard
>> disk (i.e. drive C:), when using PCDittoI--software version.
>> After not using PCDitto for a couple of days, however, I found
>> that I was no longer able to boot dos from the hard disk.  As
>> I said, I did this a few months ago and in just the past few
>> days.  This time I think I figured out what I did:  I
>> installed G+Plus and resorted my Auto folder.  So, my question
>> is:  Does resorting the Auto folder somehow wipe out the dos
>> boot?  If so, I want to make sure of my set up before going
>> through the formatting procedure again.
>No the auto folder should not affect this.
>PCDitto require that both C: and D: have valid IBM headers.  TOS doesn't
>care if the IBM header is there or not.  The D: thing is curious but
>its how I experienced it, and after disassembling the code, read it that
>way.  Its a bug; now a feature!.
Does this mean I have to format D: (as well as C:) with dos?
I thought the manual specifically said you didn't have to do
this.  Besides, before messing around with the AUTO
folder, both C: and D: worked fine with dos...AND C: booted
from dos.
>Also, for the C: to boot the IBMCOM and BIOS files must be the first in
>the FAT and Directory.  If your resorter for the Auto folder or G+
>muck arround with the order of these files you won't boot either.
Well, I presume that something must have been messing around
with the placement of IBMCOM and BIOS files!  My question now
is:  Is there some way to get IBMCOM and the BIOS files back
into their first position without going through the whole
formatting procedure all over again?  I'm keeping my fingers
crosses that there is...and that it is easy!
>Howard Johnson
Thanks, Howard.
--Gerry
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu