[comp.sys.atari.st] AVANT-GUARDE out of business?

eugene@cs.athabascau.ca (Eugene Rubin) (09/18/90)

I just had a letter returned which I had sent to Avant-Guarde Systems
regarding my PCDITTO-II.  It was stamped "Moved - left no address -
Unable to forward"!

This certainly looks like Avant-Guarde has gone belly-up and is now
OUT OF BUSINESS.  This confirms the recent message on the network
regarding Avant-Guarde's lack of phones.  Does anyone know any more
details about this?  This does not look good for us PCDITTO users!  And
I just got mine working after having to hack apart the insides of my
1040 to install it.

What I was writing them about is.... I received a very early version
of PCDITTO II and the software disk they sent didn't have all of the
programs they mentioned in the installation manual.  Also, they didn't
include a user's manual.  Does anybody have the software and user's
manual that they would be willing to copy and send?  I'll pay for any
copying and mailing costs with gratitude!

iho@milton.u.washington.edu (Il Oh) (09/18/90)

In article <757@vax.cs.athabascau.ca> eugene@cs.athabascau.ca (Eugene Rubin) writes:

>What I was writing them about is.... I received a very early version
>of PCDITTO II and the software disk they sent didn't have all of the
>programs they mentioned in the installation manual.  Also, they didn't
>include a user's manual.  Does anybody have the software and user's
>manual that they would be willing to copy and send?  I'll pay for any
>copying and mailing costs with gratitude!

The update package of PC-Ditto II never had the user's manual.  The disk
also didn't have the diagnostics programs.  The user's manual is unnecessary
as they didn't have anything new (from the original PC-Ditto) to tell anybody.
This does not bode well that they've moved.  I'll see if there's any talk on
Compuserve on this subject.

il

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (09/19/90)

May I propose a new news group:

	alt.flames.pc-ditto

Votes? (Just joking).

Seriously, with XT clones weighing in at around $700, it's not too
economical to invest in emulation -- unlike Mac emulation. This is in
no way intended as an insult to the hundreds (thousands?) of people
out of money because of Avant-Guarde's big promises and small
delivery. I came close to buying it myself, except that I was too
poor too at the time. Perhaps group therapy might help.

David

/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /

STT@kcbbs.gen.nz (Jon Clarke) (10/01/90)

We have had PC_Ditto II for sale down here for $nz999. Which is cheaper
than a PC_Clone. However we have a PC_Speed which works 100% every time
all the time and none of the nightmares I have heard about pdc II.

 Jon Clarke

  |  o( )  STaTus | The Atari BBS   | Snail mail to : Jon Clarke,     |
  | /  /\   BBS.  | in Auckland,NZ  +------------+    RD#2 Drury,     |
  |Mail : STT@kcbbs.gen.nz          | MBBS Ver 3 |    New Zealand.    |
  |     : 72000,3555 - CIS          | Node 1&2 :+64-9-606067 / 608485 |