[comp.sys.atari.st] Dave, give us your sources!

rodney@merkur.gtc.de (Rodney Volz) (09/27/90)

This is to Dave Backemeyer; I couldn't reach him via
mail, but I think it could be of interest for others, too.

I just received MiNT and checked it out a bit, and I found it's running
very well with Beckemeyers Micro-Cshell. (Note that the Micro-Cshell
has nothing to do with multitasking; it's simply a C-Shell for the ST).
The next thing I'm going to do, is to adapt Mercury UUCP to mint, and
make Rnews, Rmail - and perhaps a cron? - run in background.

One thing we still need, is a good shell. I have read the source of
Gulam; it's fast, but has only little to do with a real C-Shell.
Another possibility would be BASH, but BASH uses far too much memory.

Dave; I suggest you make your Micro-CSH free- or shareware; I'll do the
same thing with Mercury UUCP. A further problem is our UUCICO: it's
written in GFA-Basic, does system calls, and is therefore not usable
with MiNT. Beckemeyer's uucico - which is derived from GNU-UUCP, I
think - should solve the problem.

So we could have:

- Multitasking (Mint)
- A window-System (MGR, perhaps sometimes even X)
- Usenet connection with Mail and News (Mercury UUCP)
- A Unix-Cshell

...and all that available with the full sourcecode.
I mean, isn't that worth thinking about?

ST-Users and -programers, unite and work together! :-)

-Rodney
--
                     Rodney Volz - 7000 Stuttgart 1 - FRG
 ============> ...uunet!mcsun!unido!gtc!aragon!merkur!rodney <=============

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (09/29/90)

In article <5706470@merkur.gtc.de> rodney@merkur.gtc.de (Rodney Volz) writes:

>One thing we still need, is a good shell. I have read the source of
>Gulam; it's fast, but has only little to do with a real C-Shell.
>Another possibility would be BASH, but BASH uses far too much memory.
>
>Dave; I suggest you make your Micro-CSH free- or shareware; I'll do the
>same thing with Mercury UUCP. A further problem is our UUCICO: it's
>written in GFA-Basic, does system calls, and is therefore not usable
>with MiNT. Beckemeyer's uucico - which is derived from GNU-UUCP, I
>think - should solve the problem.

Actually, all we really need is a C Shell which recognises MiNT. DB
would not have to release his sources for that.

David Megginson
/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (10/02/90)

In article <5706470@merkur.gtc.de> rodney@merkur.gtc.de (Rodney Volz) writes:
>Dave; I suggest you make your Micro-CSH free- or shareware; I'll do the
>same thing with Mercury UUCP. A further problem is our UUCICO: it's
>written in GFA-Basic, does system calls, and is therefore not usable
>with MiNT. Beckemeyer's uucico - which is derived from GNU-UUCP, I
>think - should solve the problem.
>
>So we could have:
>
>- Multitasking (Mint)
>- A window-System (MGR, perhaps sometimes even X)
>- Usenet connection with Mail and News (Mercury UUCP)
>- A Unix-Cshell
>
>...and all that available with the full sourcecode.
>I mean, isn't that worth thinking about?

I guess it's worth thinking about. I see that it would benifit the
ST community, at least in the short term, but in what way does it beneift
me or Beckemeyer Development?  Is the ST market so poor that the only
course for ST developers is to give their software away?  You may work
in your spare time to develop for the ST, and there's nothing wrong
with that, but I have a company that is supposedly in the ST business
to profit and stay in business.  I mean if you're saying that I have
to give everything away, then why should I stay in the Atari "business"?
I guess you're suggesting that I should switch to a part-time "spare-time"
ST programmer and quit the ST "for-profit" business.  That's practically
what I'm doing now.  I mean I wouldn't be in business if all I did was
sell ST wares.  The thing is that as a professional company I can at
least afford to run a BBS, print real manuals, and do real updates
to software (like all the work I'm in the middle of in updating
MT C-Shell and other S/W and to add a bunch of TT030 support including
an all-new version of RTX).  If I completely go "shareware" (which is
pretty darned close to free-ware in this business), I would not be
able to offer any of the support that we now offer.  Does it really
benefit the ST community more to tell the software companies to
give their software away and get out the ST business, in your opinion?

I mean with BDT products and various PD/Free-ware options, I already have
all the things you list, and more:

- Multitasking (RTX)
- A window-System (GEM with the MT C-Shell Visual Shell)
- Usenet connection with Mail and News (MT C-Shell UUCP and Bootstrap News)
- A Unix-Cshell (MT C-Shell).
- Unix-like libraries (MT C-Shell Software Dev. System).
- GEM application compatibility
- Installable device drivers
- Drivers for up to 12 serial ports (DC-Port, BayTech MUX etc.)
- Custom applications (multiuser retail point-of-sale, etc.)
- TT030 support

>ST-Users and -programers, unite and work together! :-)

I am trying to work together.  I have released the Micro RTX kernel along
with the complete documentation as shareware.  I have offered to help
anybody develop RTX based applications, including a GEM extension to it
or a shell.

I'm not saying I can't be convinced that releasing Micro C-Shell as
"share-ware" or something is a good idea, I'm just saying that I need
more convincing.  I mean I did release Micro RTX as shareware based
mostly on the arguments from several net.people explaining the fantastic
benefits of doing so.  Of course these benefits have yet to be
realized, but such is life.

>-Rodney
>--
>                     Rodney Volz - 7000 Stuttgart 1 - FRG
> ============> ...uunet!mcsun!unido!gtc!aragon!merkur!rodney <=============
>  rodney@merkur.gtc.de * rodney@delos.stgt.sub.org * rodney@mcshh.hanse.de
>  \_____________ May your children and mine live in peace _______________/

--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.uucp)	| "Don't call me Stupid!"
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| "No.  That would be an insult