[comp.sys.atari.st] Desk Jet 500

mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John) (09/17/90)

Sigh, since I can't afford the SLM804 Laser, I've decided on the
new H-P DeskJet 500. Better quality, quieter, and only about $200
more than the Panasonic 1124.

But a few questions though, before I get it, I currently use Write
with GDOS, and for the users of DeskJet and DeskJet Pluses, are
there any interface considerations? Printer drivers? Emulation?
Does the DJ500 have a Epson LQ emulation? Or is there a DJ driver
for Write? (Yeah, I know, I should get Word Flair...)

And I remember a problem with some Ataris and DeskJet and the
parallel port?

--
the good guys!               Sakura-mendo, CA

      Internet:  mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/19/90)

Re: question from mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John)

> ...  I currently use Write
> with GDOS, and for the users of DeskJet and DeskJet Pluses, are
> there any interface considerations? Printer drivers? Emulation?
> Does the DJ500 have a Epson LQ emulation? Or is there a DJ driver
> for Write? (Yeah, I know, I should get Word Flair...)

No interface problems that I know of.  You will need a GDOS printer
driver.  There are two available:

1)  Migraph (Federal Way, WA -- no phone, sorry) sells a DeskJet
	driver set that includes a screen-dump patch.

2)  Neocept (Camarillo, CA -- 805-484-2041) sells TurboJet, that includes
	drivers for the LaserJet, DeskJet and the Atari SLM804,
	and the OUTPUT program to print .GEM metafiles.

I have used the Migraph drivers with MSWrite and they work fine.  Other
people tell me that they've used TurboJet with MSWrite and it works
fine, also.  Both cost around $40.  Do yourself a favor and buy a registered
copy of whichever one you choose.

You can still print without the drivers, if you use the "generic" ASCII
printer .PRD file -- no italics or anything, mind you, but okay for
program listings and such.

There is an Epson cartridge available for DeskJet series printers.  Cost is
around $90 list price.  Your dealer may be able to give you a break on it.
It includes a proportional-spaced Times Roman font, prettier than the GDOS
one (IMHO).

> And I remember a problem with some Ataris and DeskJet and the
> parallel port?

That's a new one to me!  At HP Corvallis, we've had a 1040ST connected to
DeskJet series printers for years (no exaggeration!) with no problems
whatsoever.  The 1040ST and the HP DeskJet/DJPlus/DJ500 are a perfect match.
Enjoy.

--
> the good guys!               Sakura-mendo, CA

> Internet:  mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US

Regards
Ray Depew
HP Colorado IC Division
formerly of HP InkJet Components Operation
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/19/90)

No slight intended towards Migraph.  When I said "no phone", I meant that
I didn't have their phone number handy.  Migraph do indeed live in the
20th century, and you can get their phone number from directory assistance.
They're in Federal Way, WA, near Seattle.

Regards
Ray

jeroen@pluto.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) (09/21/90)

The DeskJet PLUS has a problem when connected to the ST:
if you switch it on after ST powerup, the ST's hardware gets confused.
It tells you the printer is not available.
As long as the printer is connected but not switched ON
the ST thinks it is there and ready to print.

For the first problem I've written an ACC that resets the appropriate
ST hardware if it finds the printer unavailable; it also serves
as a configuration program for the printer (orientation, line spacing,
pitch, quality, margins).

I'll post it to the binaries soon, along with a NEAT screen dumper
for the DeskJet/+/500 (centered screen dumps, XBRA installation,
compressed graphics data transfer, about 750 bytes).

The second problem I cannot solve the software way.

There may be a hardware modification that solves the problem, if
so I would like to know.

feat@max.bnl.gov (john feat) (09/22/90)

I read in an article in the NY Times that a DeskJet to DJ 500 upgrade was
being offered for ~$200.  I now live 1000 miles from the dealer where I
purchased my DJ.  How do I find out about doing this upgrade?
	John
	feat@max.bnl.gov

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/25/90)

Apologies for questioning the person who said that he'd heard of problems
getting the DJ+ and ST to talk to each other.  I've since heard from someone
who documented the problem very well and created 3 workarounds for the
problem.

1) Software workaround:  A desk ACC which resets the printer i/f before
   printing.  MWC source code follows.

2) Hardware workaround:  You solder a resistor into one of the lines.
   This is documented at several Atari archive sites.

3) Lazy man's workaround:  Always turn on the printer BEFORE you turn on
   the ST.  OR, never turn the printer off.  (Hey, it's quiet and doesn't
   use much power ...)

Actually, we never saw the problem at HP because we always kept our ST's
DJ+ turned on.  Thanks to those who pointed out the problem to me, and
apologies again to anyone who was offended by my incredulity.

Now, whether the DJ500 has the same problem:  I don't know.  I sent a
message to the support guys about it, but judging from the Atari's
reputation, and the size of its installed base, I don't expect much in
the way of an answer.  (Flames to /dev/null please, I'm not in Marketing
or Finance, where such decisions are made! :-( )

For anyone who wants it, here's the source code.  Authors' names are
kept intact.  Please give credit where it's due.

My husband and I wrote this small Atari ST desk accessory to poll the DJ+ and
reset the printer to ``non-busy'' during use.  It's written in Mark Williams C
and compiled as a desk accessory, not a program (slightly different start-up
module).

README:

When you turn on your DeskJet Plus printer *after* your ST has been booted,
the printer and the ST won't talk to each other and you can't print
anything.  The only way, until now, of solving this problem was to reboot
the ST (leaving the printer on).

When the printer has been turned on *before* the ST is booted, they will
talk to each other just fine.  As long as you don't turn off (and on again)
your printer, you'll be just fine.  I, for one, don't like to leave my
printer on all the time.  I like to be able to ``compute away'' and turn on
the printer only when I actually need to print something.  So far, with a
DeskJet Plus, this has been impossible.

My husband (Paul Close) and I wrote the following little desk accessory to
``reset'' the printer port and get the DeskJet and the ST talking again.
(That's not exactly what it does, but it's close enough.)  Much thanks to
Moshe Braner for his desk accessory template.

We've included the source code so that you can modify and ``pretty-up'' the
DA to your liking.  Currently it just blinks the screen when a reset is
performed--we didn't add any desktop messages saying ``printer reset'' or
anything like that.

/*  Reset your DeskJet Plus printer from the desktop.
    Desk accessory written by Diane & Paul Close.
*/

#include <osbind.h>
#include <obdefs.h>
#include <gemdefs.h>

#define TRUE  1
#define FALSE 0

extern int gl_apid;

int	menu_id, event, ret;
int	xdesk, ydesk, hdesk, wdesk;
int	msgbuff[8];
int BUSY;
int STATUS7;
int STATUS14;

char	menusave[1520];

main()
{
	int	i;
	char	*cp;
	/* initialize printer reset options */
     int super();
	Cconws ("\033f");	/* disable vt52 cursor	*/
	appl_init();
	menu_id = menu_register (gl_apid,"  DJ Reset");
	wind_get (0, WF_WORKXYWH, &xdesk, &ydesk, &wdesk, &hdesk);
daloop:
	event = evnt_multi (MU_MESAG,
			0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
			msgbuff,
			0,0, &ret,&ret,&ret,&ret,&ret,&ret);
	/* could have simply used evnt_mesag instead:
		evnt_mesag (msgbuf);		*/
	if ((event & MU_MESAG) == 0
		|| msgbuff[0] != AC_OPEN
		|| msgbuff[4] != menu_id )
			goto daloop;
	graf_mouse(M_OFF,0x0L);
	cp = (char *) Physbase();
	for (i=0; i<1520; i++)
		menusave[i] = *cp++;
	wind_update(TRUE);
	form_dial (FMD_START,
			xdesk, ydesk, wdesk, hdesk,
			xdesk, ydesk, wdesk, hdesk);
	/* enable vt52 cursor if needed */
	/* reset dj here (call subroutine) */
	Supexec(super);

	/* disable vt52 cursor if on */
	form_dial (FMD_FINISH,
			xdesk, ydesk, wdesk, hdesk,
			xdesk, ydesk, wdesk, hdesk);
	wind_update (FALSE);
	cp = (char *) Physbase();
	for (i=0; i<1520; i++)
		*cp++ = menusave[i];
	graf_mouse(M_ON,0x0L);
	goto daloop;
}

super() {
    register unsigned char *busy;
    busy=(char *)0xffffa01L;
    BUSY=*busy;
    busy=(char *)0xffff8800L;
    *busy=7;
    STATUS7=*busy;
    *busy=14;
    STATUS14=*busy;
    STATUS14 |= 0x20;
    *busy=14;
    *(busy+2) = STATUS14;
}

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/25/90)

$APPEND .sig.for.the.idiot.who.left.it.off.his.posting
$APPEND .some.sort.of.disclaimer.as.well

Regards
Ray Depew
HP Colorado IC Division
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com
Disclaimer:  Hey, I only work here.  Besides, I'm on break.

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/25/90)

I've obtained the instructions for the solder-in fix for the DJ+ problem.
Please e-mail me ONLY if you REALLY want the instructions, as they're
quite lengthy.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP Colorado IC Division
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/26/90)

> I've obtained the instructions for the solder-in fix for the DJ+ problem.
> Please e-mail me ONLY if you REALLY want the instructions, as they're
> quite lengthy.

No need to email.  Diane Close posted them.  See the note "DeskJet Plus fixes
(one more time!)".

Regards
Ray Depew
HP Colorado IC Division
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

----------

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (10/02/90)

In article <15330019@hpfinote.HP.COM> rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew
x2419) writes:
> Now, whether the DJ500 has the same problem:  I don't know.  I sent a
> message to the support guys about it, but judging from the Atari's
> reputation, and the size of its installed base, I don't expect much in
> the way of an answer.

 Well I just wanted to make a quick note that my LaserJet 3 works fine
it I turn it on after my Mega. Usually it takes me quite awhile to get
a page just right to print so if I had to keep my printer on until I
was ready to print, it would be very annoying to say the least (especially
with New England summers :-(  I'll also ad that I barely notice the LJ's
sound, a very quiet machine!

(Side Note to Ray: I was really suprised to hear the DJ came out of
Corvallis (or Cowvalley as we used to call it.) I had friends who
used to work at the Corvallis HP but I don't think they worked on the DJ.
OSU, born to be bad at football! :-)

Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu