[comp.sys.atari.st] Current Notes magazine

JOHNBARNES@ENH.NIST.GOV (12/05/89)

A couple of people have asked for information regarding Current Notes Magazine.
I have an information packet that I downloaded from GENie, where "Current
Notes Online" is category 15 of the Atari ST Roundtable.  Since policy
on this newsgroup restricts advertising I will be happy to respond to
individual EMail requests for this data.

I also expect to send ti to Steve Grimm so that he can determine whether
it should posted as a public document in the panarthea archive.

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (12/09/89)

[pre-note:  I am not the author of the following message; I'm just passing it
on... I'm also not sure how to post an original message on the net, so I'm just
posting a follow-up with a new subject.  -Mike Matthews]

Note to Internet Users: This information is derived from that posted
on the General Electric Information Exchange (GENie) Atari ST
Roundtable.  For further information contact the magazine at
the address given below.  Category 15 of the GENie ST Roundtable is
devoted to things by and about Current Notes.

                      Current Notes Magazine
                Your Monitor on the World of Atari

     In 1981 several Atari User groups in the Washington DC
Metropolitan area banded together to produce a joint newsletter in the
hope of realizing economies of scale in postage and production.
Software reviews and other news of the Atari community soon became such
an attractive feature of the magazine that it outgrew this original
purpose.  Readers all over the nation asked for copies and Atari
dealers began to stock it in their stores.
     Today over 60 user groups in 29 states and Canada offer Current
Notes to their members at special subscription rates and approximately
120 retail outlets from Alaska to Florida offer it to their Atari
customers.
     The feature of the magazine that has made it so widely accepted is
its orientation toward the consumer.  Current Notes has a reputation
for telling it like it is in software reviews.  CN's reporters ferret
out solid news to help Atari computer users understand events at home
and around the world.  Current Notes' regular stable of columnists like
Dave Small and Andrzej Wrotniak bring readers the human side as well as
the technical side of Atari computing.  There are also special features
for beginning users.
      Current Notes' disk library is one of the most comprehensive
sources available for basic and advanced software titles.  Special
effort is put into making these programs usable by everyone.
      For the Current Notes contributor the magazine is a labor of love.
It is our way of sharing the joy and the agony of Atari computing with
everyone.
      GENie and Current Notes have now joined together to provide this
Category in the ST Roundtable as a forum for letting others in the
community contribute to our work.  Letters to the editor are especially
welcome.  Give us your thoughts for issues that need to be addressed.
Use GEMail to submit articles that you think might be worth publishing.
Ask us questions.

     If you like what you see here and you want to see more of it you
can become a subscriber.  Check this message thread for the latest
subscription information.
     Current Notes has always provided special support for user groups,
particularly by providing discount subscription rates.  Check with your
user group to see if a discount is available for you. User group
leaders whose clubs are not already registered with Current Notes may
wish to explore this option.
     All correspondence regarding individual subscriptions,
dealerships, or club registrations can be sent to our GEMail address,
"JOE.WATERS"  or through the US Postal Service to

Current Notes Magazine
122 N. Johnson Rd
Sterling, VA 22170.   703-450-4761

     Upcoming features in our message threads and libraries will
include lists of registered clubs, cumulative annual indexes, lists of
Atari dealers, and other special publications. Look for announcements.
                      Current Notes Subscription Rates
                           as of 12 December 1989
                                1 yr        2 yr

WAACE Club Member - Check with your club treasurer
CN Registered Club Member        $20         $38
Individual Subscriber            $24         $42
Canada, 2nd Class Post.         add $8 per year to above
Foreign Surface Mail             $39
Air Mail
   Canada/Mexico                 $42
   Cent Am, Carib.               $51
   S. Am, N. Africa, Europe      $61
   Mid East, Africa, Australia   $71

All orders prepaid, foreign orders by bank draft in $US payable on
US bank.

                 Current Notes Registered Clubs

   Atari User groups can become CN registered clubs by submitting
subscription requests for six members or 10 percent of their
membership whichever is less.  Additional members subscribing
can do so at the discounted rate given above.

               Submitting articles for Publication
                   in Current Notes Magazine.

   Current Notes Magazine is published using Word Perfect text imported into
Timeworks' Publisher ST.  We use preselected style sheets for a  uniform
appearance throughout the magazine.  Artwork can be accepted as .NEO, P??,
IMG, or GEM files.  If you wish to submit something that you have laid out
yourself you must also submit the individual components.

   ARC your .WP files, the .DTP file, and any auxiliary files together into
one module and use the XMODEM send option in GEMail to transmit the material.
(InterNet users may be able to make other arrangements).
   Any decision regarding acceptance or rejection of such unsolicited material
rests solely with the editors and publisher of the magazine. You will be
notified when we receive your material and again when we make a final
decision on acceptance or rejection.
   Note that no author in Current Notes receives payment for material that is
published.
   There are occasional publication delays due to a backlog of material or
because there are unresolved technical issues.

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (09/21/90)

Does anyone have subscription info or at least a phone number for Current
Notes magazine?

---jb

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.170430.944@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) writes:
>Does anyone have subscription info or at least a phone number for Current
>Notes magazine?
>
>---jb

Phone number : (703) 450-4761
1 year subscription : $24 (If a member of a CN recognized AUG, $20)
snail mail:  CN Subscriptons
             122 N. Johnson Rd.
             Sterling, VA  22170.

I am in no way connected with CN, other than as a satisfied subscriber.
By the way, has anyone seen the september issue??
--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an

STT@kcbbs.gen.nz (Jon Clarke) (10/02/90)

JB-
  Current Notes address is , Currrent Notes inc.,
                             122 n. Johnson Road,
                             Sterling,VA. 22170.
The Publisher is Joe Waters and his phone number is (703)450-4761.
Hope this helps you mate.

 Jon Clarke

|  o( )  STaTus | The Atari BBS   | Snail mail to : Jon Clarke,     |
| /  /\   BBS.  | in Auckland,NZ  +------------+    RD#2 Drury,     |
|Mail : STT@kcbbs.gen.nz          | MBBS Ver 3 |    New Zealand.    |
|     : 72000,3555 - CIS          | Node 1&2 :+64-9-606067 / 608485 |