[comp.sys.atari.st] it would be nice

edb762bbp1@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au (09/13/90)

Hi there poor ST users
 im back again......
   Firstly, the 520St cannot hardware scroll. It has to move each pixel
individually, alot like an Amstrad.
   The 520 cannot produce 16 voice stereo sound through software.
    It does not have Dynamic Hires- 4096 colours at 704*580.
   It does not have a blitter chip that is used.
   The AMIGA is now outselling the ST in England and America.
   The Obese Agnus Graphics chip supports resolutions of above 1000*1000
   The 520 can only produce sawtooth sound waves, not sine, or white noise etc.
   The flickering of the screen in called Interlace and doubles the vertical
  resolution of the screen. without this resolutions of 704*290 are available,
  with it resolutions of 704*580 are available.
   The ST can only use 16 colours in higher resolutions as opposed to 16,32,64
  and 4096 on the AMIGA.
   It is sick when the new ST `Amiga beater' just doesn't perform as well as
  the Amiga. This also admits that the Amiga is a better computer.
   The ST is only 10% faster than the Amiga however the ST does not have any
  custom chips to carry out complex tasks and leave the 68000 for more pressing
  tasks.
					BYE
					    PETRA.

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (09/13/90)

I've got it!!!!  PETRA is really *BIFF*!!!!

(for the businesslike among netters: BIFF provokes a lot of wasted bandwidth by
posting idiotic and inflamatory notes, all in caps, to argumentative groups)
                             Steve J.

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (09/13/90)

In article <101.26ef7641@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au> edb762bbp1@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>Hi there poor ST users
> im back again......
>   Firstly, the 520St cannot hardware scroll. It has to move each pixel
>individually, alot like an Amstrad.
>   The 520 cannot produce 16 voice stereo sound through software.
>    It does not have Dynamic Hires- 4096 colours at 704*580.
>   It does not have a blitter chip that is used.
>   The AMIGA is now outselling the ST in England and America.
>   The Obese Agnus Graphics chip supports resolutions of above 1000*1000
>   The 520 can only produce sawtooth sound waves, not sine, or white noise etc.
>   The flickering of the screen in called Interlace and doubles the vertical
>  resolution of the screen. without this resolutions of 704*290 are available,
>  with it resolutions of 704*580 are available.
>   The ST can only use 16 colours in higher resolutions as opposed to 16,32,64
>  and 4096 on the AMIGA.
>   It is sick when the new ST `Amiga beater' just doesn't perform as well as
>  the Amiga. This also admits that the Amiga is a better computer.
>   The ST is only 10% faster than the Amiga however the ST does not have any
>  custom chips to carry out complex tasks and leave the 68000 for more pressing
>  tasks.

Hi there, poor ST-bashing Amiga owners who lack a life!
I'm back for the first time, and I can even use appropriate punctuation...

    Firstly, the life-lacking ST-basher cannot think before it posts.  It
    has to move each semblance of thought onto the keyboard individually
    a character at a time, a lot like the proverbial room-full-of-monkeys.

    The l-l ST-basher cannot produce meaningful sound, only volume.

    It does not have dynamic personality -- silly numbers are incessantly
    quoted instead.

    It does not have a brain that is used.

(Must I drag it out to conclusion?  I don't much like my ST anymore,
I may buy an Amiga some day, and even I'm tired of seeing posts like
yours -- most Amiga owners I know are far more sensible.  We already
know what you've quoted.  Go away, you pitiful waste of a social security
number...)
--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)

hardware@rose.uwaterloo.ca () (09/13/90)

  Funny last I heard all the Desktop stores that carried Amiga
products went into BANKRUPTCY. The entire chain went under and when
former employees asked for their commission money from Commodore for
selling Amiga junk Commodore spit in their face and gave them nothing.
If this is the kind of service you give to loyal employees I can imagine
the service you give to joe smoe. Also an entire chain of phase unlimited
stores across Eastern Canada went under sales were down across the board
for Amiga so dont come bragging about a company that has massive loans
to support a computer with no brain.

 Oh while we are at it lets talk about the missing desktop. How come you
have to add a CLI to run everything on the Amiga?? Cant even make a
proper desktop. Who wants to type everything in to get things to run??? Now
Im back to DOS on the IBM which is outdated since 1985. How come the Amiga costs
almost twice as much as the ST? How come the icons are so huge you feel
your still sitting in front of a commodore 64? And lastly who paid you to
bother us in the ST area anyways?

chu@acsu.buffalo.edu (john c chu) (09/13/90)

In article <101.26ef7641@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au> edb762bbp1@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
[material that any ST/Amiga flame war veteran should know, plus some opinion]

since my mail to "PETRA" has bounced back at me, I'll give the
abbreviated response:

So what?
You haven't justified why your opinion is so important.
Flames via mail (and leave a REAL username this time)
Followup to alt.flame

					john
				chu@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu

cbdougla@uokmax.uucp (Collin Broad Douglas) (09/14/90)

In article <101.26ef7641@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au> edb762bbp1@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>Hi there poor ST users
> im back again......
>   Firstly, the 520St cannot hardware scroll. It has to move each pixel
>individually, alot like an Amstrad.
>   The 520 cannot produce 16 voice stereo sound through software.
>    It does not have Dynamic Hires- 4096 colours at 704*580.
>   It does not have a blitter chip that is used.
>   The AMIGA is now outselling the ST in England and America.
>   The Obese Agnus Graphics chip supports resolutions of above 1000*1000
>   The 520 can only produce sawtooth sound waves, not sine, or white noise etc.
>   The flickering of the screen in called Interlace and doubles the vertical
>  resolution of the screen. without this resolutions of 704*290 are available,
>  with it resolutions of 704*580 are available.
>   The ST can only use 16 colours in higher resolutions as opposed to 16,32,64
>  and 4096 on the AMIGA.
>   It is sick when the new ST `Amiga beater' just doesn't perform as well as
>  the Amiga. This also admits that the Amiga is a better computer.
>   The ST is only 10% faster than the Amiga however the ST does not have any
>  custom chips to carry out complex tasks and leave the 68000 for more pressing
>  tasks.
>					BYE
>					    PETRA.

  ever heard of the STe?

	 Collin Douglas

	 cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

paul@tredysvr.Tredydev.Unisys.COM (Paul Siu) (09/14/90)

Do not reply to little Petra's messages.  If we just ignore it, may be he will
go away.  He's probably even have been kick off Amiga BBSs.  Do not reply to
his message until he grows up.

tinyguy@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) (09/14/90)

>  Funny last I heard all the Desktop stores that carried Amiga
>products went into BANKRUPTCY. The entire chain went under and when
>former employees asked for their commission money from Commodore for
>selling Amiga junk Commodore spit in their face and gave them nothing.
>If this is the kind of service you give to loyal employees I can imagine
>the service you give to joe smoe. Also an entire chain of phase unlimited
>stores across Eastern Canada went under sales were down across the board
>for Amiga so dont come bragging about a company that has massive loans
>to support a computer with no brain.
>
> Oh while we are at it lets talk about the missing desktop. How come you
>have to add a CLI to run everything on the Amiga?? Cant even make a

 What are you talking about? Have you ever used Amiga before? Most of my
apllication software I use, I NEVER use CLI with it! I can't see a
single reason why I should.
I use CLI when I'm doing Programming or other things which can be done
more easily on CLI.

>proper desktop. Who wants to type everything in to get things to run??? Now
>Im back to DOS on the IBM which is outdated since 1985.How come the Amiga costs
>almost twice as much as the ST? How come the icons are so huge you feel
>your still sitting in front of a commodore 64? And lastly who paid you to
>bother us in the ST area anyways?

What models are you comparaing with???
I didn't know A500 was twice the price of ST(any model?)....
And don't tell me that A500 only has 512k since most A500 users have
1Meg and it is internally expandable to 8(or was it 9?) Megs now...
No flames please, I'm only defending Amiga, I couldn't resist after
reading those insults.

* Yeo-Hoon Bae                                           *  Amiga   /// *
* tinyguy@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca                            *   2000  ///  *
* tinyguy@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca                            *     \\\///   *
* Amiga2000 + 3MB + 48MB HD + KX-P1124 + DiamondScan     *      \XX/    *

swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) (09/14/90)

You mean the amiga still need to use a kickstart and workbench disk
to get you going?  And you still need to use that cli????  And this
is supposed to be a superior computer.  hmm.  that was the whole reason
that I stopped working on the amiga.
swood
--
Only four more days till small	| swood@argo.acs.oakland.edu
game season in Michigan!!	| swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/14/90)

Re:  another appearance from some jerk codenamed Petra

> From: edb762bbp1@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 1990 02:06:24 GMT
> Subject: it would be nice

> Hi there poor ST users
>  im back again......
   [ tons of crap deleted, along the linues of "my computer can beat up
	your computer ... "  really mature, useful information, finishing
	with the following: ]
> It is sick when the new ST `Amiga beater' just doesn't perform as well as
> the Amiga. This also admits that the Amiga is a better computer....

>					BYE
>					    PETRA.

I'm cross-posting this to our colleagues in comp.sys.amiga to ask for
their help in shutting this guy up.

Personal computing has come a long way since the days when users had to
assert their manhood by playing "my computer's better than yours."  It's
been several months since anyone in comp.sys.atari.st even played "Ataris
are better than [insert brand name here]", or even "680X0s are better
than 80X86s".  Attempts to start such a discussion in this notesgroup are
generally squelched or ignored, as they are totally useless and a waste
of bandwidth -- and meaningless in today's marketplace.

We prefer to use c.s.a.st as a  forum for exchanging ideas on how to get
more out of our ST's.  Occasionally I even jump into c.s.amiga to see if
there's something that might be useful for my ST  (like DungeonMaster
hints :-)

We don't need this kind of garbage.  It speaks of a third-grade maturity
and a 1970's mentality.  I think we (except for "Petra" -- too cowardly
to use his real name!) are beyond that.  It's a shame to see a computer
as nice as the Amiga wasted on a jerk like this.

Please, "Petra", stay off the net until you can post something more
constructive and meaningful.  And stay off of c.s.atari.st until you buy
one and have something useful to contribute.

Anybody want to add anything?

Regards
Ray Depew
HP Colorado IC Division
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (09/14/90)

In article <2998@vela.acs.oakland.edu> swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Scott Wood - EVENSONG) writes:
>You mean the amiga still need to use a kickstart and workbench disk
>to get you going?
	Only if you still have an old 1000.  Everything else has kickstart in ROM.
(even some 1000's have it).
>And you still need to use that cli????
	No, but it's there to provide extra flexibility for those who want to
use it.  I don't consider it a disadvantage in the slightest.

>And this
>is supposed to be a superior computer.  hmm.  that was the whole reason
>that I stopped working on the amiga.

	It was apparently a long time ago that you stopped working on it....,

In article <101.26ef7641@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au> edb762bbp1@vx24.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>Hi there poor ST users [....]

it would be nice...

	If anyone in the future considering such an irresponsible posting would
first sit down and ponder just how foolish such a posting is going to make you
look.  Whining about things you don't completely understand, flame bating, etc.
does absolutely nothing constructive.  And the last thing it'll ever do is
convince anyone to come around to your way of thinking.  You like your computer
and should respect the fact that other folks may pick a different computer
system for different reasons.  And recognizing you as an Amiga enthusiast, the
people in this group are going to be prejudiced against other Amiga enthusiasts
who actually have something constructive to to say.

it would be nice...

	If none of us ever saw another of these postings.
      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

scoile@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Steve Coile) (09/14/90)

In article PETRA writes:
>Hi there poor ST users
> im back again......
.
.
.
>  It is sick when the new ST `Amiga beater' just doesn't perform as well as
>  the Amiga. This also admits that the Amiga is a better computer.
.
.
.
>					BYE
>					    PETRA.

Okay, the Amiga is a better computer.  Happy?  It's not like most of us
are going to run out and get a new computer.  I personally have NO extra
money, even if I WANTED to get an Amiga.  I personally don't like the
Amiga's set-up, nor Commodore itself.  I like my ST because I like
Atari.  I have always like Atari, and I will stand by it because of it.

Also, it's obvious that the ST can't stand up to the Ami3000 (or
whatever the latest is).  However, once (if ever) Atari puts out a
comparable machine, THEN we can DISCUSS it (no flame wars please!).

Finally, I'm sure most Atari owners are well aware of what we can and
can not do in relation to the various other systems.  I don't think we
need to be reminded of Atari management's ineptitude.

Thanks!!

-Steve

entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) (09/15/90)

In article <912@tredysvr.Tredydev.Unisys.COM> paul@tredysvr.Tredydev.Unisys.COM (Paul Siu) writes:

   Do not reply to little Petra's messages.  If we just ignore it, may be he will
   go away.  He's probably even have been kick off Amiga BBSs.  Do not reply to
   his message until he grows up.

Come on, you don't really believe that, do you?  I suggest direct
action, I.E. forwarding his message to the postmaster of his machine.
That's what I did, with a note explaining why I thought his behavior
was inappropriate usage of the net.  I agree with you that replies to
his posts should not be put in this newsgroup or any other, however.

Internet:  ncastellano@eagle.wesleyan.edu || entropy@ai.mit.edu
Bitnet:    ncastellano@wesleyan.bitnet
Citadel:   Sinkhole!dEADHEAd [@mast.citadel.moundst.mn.org]
Sniktnet:  snikt!entropy

bradm@pro-grouch.cts.com (Brad Martin) (09/15/90)

Well, since you wish to flame against Atari, you really should know your Amiga
specs, and should also compaire the Amiga vs. the STe.

I am not going to bother with you any more, but you should know that the Amiga
only has 8-bit 4 voice sound.  NOT 16 voice sound.

As an owner of both an Amiga and an ST I find that the ST is both easier and
more stable to use.  It has much more in the way of productivity software, and
the software developes tend to push the envelope with it more then the Amiga
software developers.

Of course you Petra don't really care, all you want to do is bash something
you have no idea about, but go ahead, I will ignore you from now on.  You
can live the rest of your life with you little Amiga for all I care.

.>Brad Martin<.

Cute tag lines on request.

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (09/15/90)

hardware features...

                                 So what..?

I like my ST far better than the Amigas I've used, and that's the
bottom line...

BobR

tinyguy@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) (09/16/90)

In article <2998@vela.acs.oakland.edu> swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Scott Wood - EVENSONG) writes:
>You mean the amiga still need to use a kickstart and workbench disk
>to get you going?  And you still need to use that cli????  And this
>is supposed to be a superior computer.  hmm.  that was the whole reason

 NO! Kickstart disk was only designed for the first machine - A1000,
since then, 256k ROM has replaced it for A500 and A2000. On A3000, it
has the new 2.0 ROM(s), 512k. It also comes with the older 1.3 ROM
images on HD for compatability reason(2.0 is not 100% stable, yet.)

 And as I pointed out before, CLI is NOT necessary for running ordinary
programs, such as WP, DTP, etc. I use it to program, in which case, I
find CLI much more convinient than GUI interface, and I'm sure this is
true on any machine if the machine offers both options.(Well, for most
people).

>that I stopped working on the amiga.
>swood
>--
>Only four more days till small	| swood@argo.acs.oakland.edu
>game season in Michigan!!	| swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu
>UUCP:...!uunet!umich!vela!swood	| swood@nucleus.mi.org
>Bitnet:	  swood@oakland		| swood@unix.secs.oakland.edu

-TG

aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) (09/19/90)

In article <2285@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> scoile@gmuvax2.UUCP (Steve Coile) writes:
>Okay, the Amiga is a better computer.  Happy?  It's not like most of us
>are going to run out and get a new computer.  I personally have NO extra
>money, even if I WANTED to get an Amiga.  I personally don't like the
>Amiga's set-up, nor Commodore itself.  I like my ST because I like
>Atari.  I have always like Atari, and I will stand by it because of it.

Yuk, just because it's got a copper and super-flickery modes doesn't
mean its better.

In order to have a decent Amiga system you need loads of memory ( to run
more than one program at a time), need more than one disk drive or a
hard drive and a monitor to access the migrane-modes.

Personally, I've never needed one of AmigaDos' biggest selling points -
the multi-tasking, although I realise that all Amiga owners play
Populous while they run massive ray-tracing sessions. (Well, actually
you can't do both those things on the Amiga at one time but we'll keep
quiet about that so that people think you can).

-Mark.

jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) (09/20/90)

In article <6419@castle.ed.ac.uk> aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) writes:
>Yuk, just because it's got a copper and super-flickery modes doesn't
>mean its better.
>
>In order to have a decent Amiga system you need loads of memory ( to run
>more than one program at a time), need more than one disk drive or a
>hard drive and a monitor to access the migrane-modes.

Don't remember needing loads of memory to run more than one program.  Stock
Amigas w/ 1 meg memory seem to multitask fine.  A500 comes with only 1
built-in drive so that must mean it works fine for those people that
have the A500 and no external drives.  Who doesn't need a hard drive
these days????  There is a flicker fixer available for the "migrane-modes" and
I would like to see you try working w/o a monitor..8-)...  Of course, you need
an expensive multiscan monitor to work in high resolution unless you want to
stay in low resolution for the rest of your computing days...each to his own
I guess.

>Personally, I've never needed one of AmigaDos' biggest selling points -
>the multi-tasking, although I realise that all Amiga owners play
>Populous while they run massive ray-tracing sessions. (Well, actually
>you can't do both those things on the Amiga at one time but we'll keep
>quiet about that so that people think you can).
>
>-Mark.

Actually Populous will not multitask or allow any other programs to run
with it but that is because it is a game that wasn't designed to multitask.
Actually some people do ray-tracing on Amigas, though I am not one, and they
seem to enjoy multitasking.  Don't know about you but I wouldn't want to
sit there watching a screen computing the ray-trace but with multitasking
you can let the ray-trace work in the background and do something else
with the computer.  Everyone that I know that are used to multitasking
are very unhappy to go back to a single tasking system.  Of course those
that haven't used multitasking just can't understand why it's important for
computers to have multitasking available.  Just look at IBMs, Macs, even
STs and how much they are trying to get a functional OS that multitasks.
I still remember years ago, when the A1000 came out and everyone was saying
what do we need multitasking for, now it seems quite a few naysayers are
now pushing for it.

hardware@rose.uwaterloo.ca () (09/20/90)

 Sorry to tell you Petra sad news for Amiga owners

 Third quarter report from ST Report says Amiga had a 3.5 Million
dollar lose for the 4th quarter of 1989. Oh well that burst another
bubble in commodore earnings and losses. Personally I feel sorry for
former Amiga employees at bankrupt commodore stores across Canada.
If these stores closed shop that means less dealers to sell their
products, which in turns means lost revenue.

 Hardware Dave

 Just stating the facts!

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (09/20/90)

In article <6419@castle.ed.ac.uk> aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) writes:
>In article <2285@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> scoile@gmuvax2.UUCP (Steve Coile) writes:
>>Okay, the Amiga is a better computer.  Happy?  It's not like most of us
>>are going to run out and get a new computer.  I personally have NO extra
>>money, even if I WANTED to get an Amiga.  I personally don't like the
>>Amiga's set-up, nor Commodore itself.  I like my ST because I like
>>Atari.  I have always like Atari, and I will stand by it because of it.
>
>Yuk, just because it's got a copper and super-flickery modes doesn't
>mean its better.

	It's also got a blitter which actually gets used; the "super-flickery"
modes do mean it's better... for those who need to work with video.  The 3000
has a de-interlacer, the new Enhanced Chip Set for all Amigas will provide
hi-res non-interlaced modes.  Amigas don't have to be rebooted to switch
resolutions, either...

>In order to have a decent Amiga system you need loads of memory ( to run
>more than one program at a time), need more than one disk drive or a
>hard drive and a monitor to access the migrane-modes.

	The vast majority get by with 1 meg.  Yes, more memory is nicer, especially
when you do a lot of multitasking.  As far as needing a HD or more than one
floppy, I wouldn't want to run ANY system in a 1-floppy configuration.

>Personally, I've never needed one of AmigaDos' biggest selling points -
>the multi-tasking, although I realise that all Amiga owners play
>Populous while they run massive ray-tracing sessions. (Well, actually
>you can't do both those things on the Amiga at one time but we'll keep
>quiet about that so that people think you can).

	Why can't it do this?  Certainly on a 68000 machine you'll see a slowdown.
But you can set one task at a lower priority to speed up the other.  Of course,
I can plug in a 68010, or an '020 or '030 board, or buy a 3000, for various
levels of speed increase.  I have yet to see an ST running on faster than a
14MHz 68000, mostly, I assume, because TOS doesn't support the 0[1-4]0.
I can speed my system up anywhere from 5-10% for $10 (68010) to over 20 times
faster (even more for floating point) with a 50 MHz '030 board.
	I never really 'needed' multitasking either... till I got used to it.
I'm lharcing some files right now, while running this term program, a text
editor with a >500K text file loaded in, an open shell window, and a directory
utility, as well as 4 or 5 little utilities I automatically run at startup.
My 3 meg machine reports (via one of those aforementioned utilities) that
I have 1953K free.

In article <1990Sep19.211956.1822@watdragon.waterloo.edu> hardware@rose.uwaterloo.ca writes:
> Third quarter report from ST Report says Amiga had a 3.5 Million
>dollar lose for the 4th quarter of 1989. Oh well that burst another
>bubble in commodore earnings and losses. Personally I feel sorry for
>former Amiga employees at bankrupt commodore stores across Canada.
>If these stores closed shop that means less dealers to sell their
>products, which in turns means lost revenue.

	What about Atari's earnings for that quarter?  Considering Amigas are
actually _selling_, I'd expect Atari has a lot less profit to work with.
Of course, Atari hasn't spent millions on advertising, a dozen or so major
new products, or large numbers of new employees.  Haven't heard about
any stores closing in Canada, but here in the US they've just signed on
400 new dealers.

> Just stating the facts!
	But nowhere near all of them.

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (09/20/90)

First: I like the ST line.  I like Amigas.  I have friends with both kinds of
machines.  Let's stay friendly: we're between iAPX machines of the past and new
architectures of the future (I think VLIW will beat RISC in the end, but that
argument is for another time and place.....)
   Thing about Amiga multitasking is that it was introduced slightly buggy at a
time when the applications weren't really obvious.  Now it seems to be pretty
solid and the applications are ready, or close to ready.
   Fortunately for the ST line, people inside and (mostly) outside Atari have
obviously been watching.  Right now I'd guess ST multitasking is about even
with IBM PC multitasking: if you know enough and care enough you can make it
work.
                                       Steve J.

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (09/20/90)

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/21/90)

> Personally, I've never needed one of AmigaDos' biggest selling points -
> the multi-tasking, although I realise that all Amiga owners play
> Populous while they run massive ray-tracing sessions.

I can counter this with a self-serving, overgeneralized statement:

"People who say they don't need multitasking have never really used it."

Right now, I'm running notes in this window while another window is cranking
through a statistical report for me.  When the report spews out the data I
need, I will use a third window to pull the report into a troff document I'm
composing.  When I'm ready to send the troff document, I will start up my
mailer.  But to compose the distribution list, I need to look back through
some old files to find the current addresses and pathnames for my colleagues.
Some of the files are on another system, so I'll open yet another window
to access that other system.

Meanwhile, notes is sitting patiently, waiting for me to get back to it.
No games, no Tetris or Zork (at least, not on HP's time :-), just real work.

I used to have a DOS machine.  I thought Windows 3.0 was a joke (still do),
and I didn't think I needed multitasking either.  I will LOVE IT when my
home computer has a multitasking OS.  (Until then, I still like my ST :-)

Regards
Ray Depew
HP Colorado IC Division
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

Ryszard.Nipl@mop.luth.se (Ryszard Nipl) (09/22/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Subject: HELP! Calamus vs. TOS version!
Sender: Ryszard.Nipl@mop.luth.se

Hi Netters,

I have purchased the Calamus (version 1.09) from USA (thank you,
Steve, for your tips!).

Immediately after coming back from the post office and having
the parcel unpacked I put on and tried to set it up and ....
all my expectations have "gone with the wind". I got the following
diagnostics on the Calamus logo:

       "CALAMUS doesn't work on this TOS version"

and very strange "R3/2" in the upper left corner of the screen just
on the Atari logo.

My computer is one of the oldest Mega4 I know with its number A1 7
(yes 1987!) and 4 (many zeroes) 232 on the very end. So I suppose it
must be TOS 1.0 what I have (or may be 1.1 as under start procedure
the GDOS resident version 1.1 comes).

My questions are:

1. which version of TOS should I buy to satisfy Calamus needs?

2. which version should I choose: 1.4 (or its Mega matched version
   1.5, is it?) or may be 1.6?

3. how can I purchase the TOS chip from the USA? Do you have some
   good addresses with nice prices? Which is generally price level
   for TOS chips?

4. how about Calamus under Minix? Has anyone of you any experiences?

Thank you in advance
                    Ryszard

PS: Extra questions (rhetoric ones, I don't wait any answer!):

1. why it is nothing said about TOS version needed in the Calamus
   descriptions, offerts, advertisments, even handbooks and manuals?
   (Never I meet it!)

2. why contents of SYS folder described in the handbook is (in about
   2/3 of the list) different from the real SYS folder contents as
   delivered?
   There are files: CALAMUS with extensions: ALT, CEF, CHT, HLP, RSC
                    ENGLISH   "       "    : CHP, CWB
                    LAN_ID  without extension.
   May it function?

   I am impatiently awaiting. Thanks
                                     Ryszard

jcohen@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Josh Cohen [890918]) (09/23/90)

  Look petra, no on really gives two craps what you say.  The majority of
the people here enjoy using the atari, and you are not going to change that
we don't care for your remarks.  I must tell you that reading your message
reminded me of the olden days of 300 baud, phreaking and rampant wars over
the commodore 64 and the atari 8bit.  Your drive is simply your either,
loathing for atari,or your love for commodore.  Well, some of us feel the
same way about you and your commodore, but we are mature enough to suppress
these infantile feelings and smart enough not to waste network bandwidth
with it.  Again, this group is for people interested in the st to discuss
the uses of the machine, I do not beleive you are a part of this. Please
go away....

jcohen@islsun1.mse.lehigh.edu
(if you care to flame, mail me here ,the rest of the net is far less
interested in what you have to say than I am. ( I dont care either )

aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (-=Andy=-) (09/23/90)

Well well well,....I think Mr Davidsons best quote of the century must
be :-

	"Wish I Had Bought An Amiga"

when he found his Hard Drive had trashed for the million time. Despite
being against multi-tasking, he was still interested in getting someones
multi-tasking kernel and as for hi-res displays, at least Amiga owners
dont have to pull plugs out of their computers every 2 secs for the
second monitor they would have to buy!!  And as for Copper processing, well
a DMA channel devoted to a graphics co-processor must be better than not
having one.....so I presume that must simply boil down to jealousy. And as
for playing populous and running ray-tracing....well most games take complete
control of the computer for many reasons (not just for software protection)
and many professional packages such as pro-write, Excellence! and everything
that runs from Amiga dos can multi-task with other tasks.

Mark also likes Soundtracker, so much so he is searching every PD
software library in the land for it. His first introduction to this
program was on the Amiga....my Amiga (btw we live in the same flat!).
He's also quite excited about DPaint on the ST and has been ordering
many Amiga animations which have been converted (Walker Demo, The Chase
etc).

Another interesting point, we play Kick Off 2 quite a bit in our flat.
We have both Amiga and ST versions of the game......and when I play
Mark..... 95% of the time it is played on my Amiga......and not the ST. Why?
Because the ST version runs in super-flicker head-ache mode!!!!!

I believe in critical argument, after all freedom of speech is
fundamental to our very existence. But I would prefer to have a
qualified argument, and not some bandwidth wasting drivel. Secondly, I
was under the impression this was comp.sys.atari.st which is meant to be
about ST hardware/software/news/tips etc. From this, I find it very hard
to comprehend why the Amiga is a discussion point. And as for this rogue
Amiga person who has been sending unqualified messages, you have my
sympathy for his abuse of netiquette.

I have posted this message after my flatmate had a good chuckle about
what he had posted to the net (he refused to tell me himself). The message,
when I read it was nothing short of childish ignorance and I apologise to the
net on his behalf.

-=Andy=-

In article <13860@brahms.udel.edu> don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
>In article <1990Sep19.211956.1822@watdragon.waterloo.edu> hardware@rose.uwaterloo.ca writes:
>> Third quarter report from ST Report says Amiga had a 3.5 Million
>>dollar lose for the 4th quarter of 1989. Oh well that burst another
>>bubble in commodore earnings and losses. Personally I feel sorry for
>>former Amiga employees at bankrupt commodore stores across Canada.
>>If these stores closed shop that means less dealers to sell their
>>products, which in turns means lost revenue.

Dear oh dear, Gallup reported that the Amiga now had 28% of the UK Home
Computer market which was a good increase on the year before. The ST had
dropped to only 16% of the computer market. I guess if Commodore are in
great trouble, Atari must be in real sh*t.

I report only the facts

-=Andy=-

jimmy@unix.cis.pitt.edu (James G Tauberg) (09/24/90)

In article <6440@castle.ed.ac.uk> aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (-=Andy=-) writes:

>... and as for hi-res displays, at least Amiga owners
>dont have to pull plugs out of their computers every 2 secs for the
>second monitor they would have to buy!!

	This shows obvious ignorance.  There are several monitor
switchers available for the ST.  There are also switchers which allow
the use of 3rd party MULTI-Syncs....   Of course WE already know this...
It would be nice if these AMIGA USERS would GET THEIR FACTS STRAIGHT...
or better yet just stop their childish challenges.  It is really just
making them look stupid.

Then -=andy=- writes:

>I believe in critical argument, after all freedom of speech is
>fundamental to our very existence. But I would prefer to have a
>qualified argument, and not some bandwidth wasting drivel. Secondly, I
>was under the impression this was comp.sys.atari.st which is meant to be
>about ST hardware/software/news/tips etc. From this, I find it very hard
>to comprehend why the Amiga is a discussion point.

	WE TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.  I believe most of your article was
bandwith wasting drive!  comp.sys.atari.st IS MEANT FOR DISCUSSION OF
ST.

Jim Tauberg

jimmy@unix.cis.pitt.edu (James G Tauberg) (09/24/90)

	Please, When responding to this article, DON'T quote it in its
entirety.  Most of it isn't worth reading even once.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Tauberg

cs63bld@unccvax.uncc.edu (b. daniels) (09/24/90)

E N O U G H !

I've been gone for three days, and on my return I find that
there is STILL a #%#@! Amiga/ST flame war going on!  AARRGGH!

Look.

Let me state some simple requests.

1. If you have an Amiga, great!  It's a neat machine and there's a lot
of better things you can do with it than write letters telling ST users
how terrible their machine/company/etc. are.  To find out some of these
better things to do, read comp.sys.amiga or any other amiga group.  You'll
find people who would love to talk to you about your machine!  Plus, us
ST users might be able to get back to some worthwhile discussions!

2. If you've got an ST, please please PLEASE do not reply to any of the
current 'your ST sucks' messages with 'Oh yeah?! well let me tell you'
type messages.  This only encourages this @#$%! war to continue, and we've
got better things to talk about.  Thanks.

Apologies for this flame, but I've been putting up with this obnoxiousness
since PETRA, (may he never find access again) started it all.

Thank you,
Brian Daniels
(just a happy ST user who would like to read about the ST, not the Amiga)

I access the net, therefore I am...
                        Brian Daniels (cs63bld@unccvax.uucp)

bradm@pro-grouch.cts.com (Brad Martin) (09/26/90)

I have to agree, people don't understand the power of multi-tasking untill
they have it.  Right now, on my Amiga, I am ray-tracing an animation, and
working on an article for ST Report, and typing here.  It was announced at
Glendale that Atari is working on a multi-tasking TOS (I won't hold my breath)
and when that becomes available I am sure I will be using my ST more then I do
now.

.>Brad Martin<.

Cute tag lines on request.

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct3.012837.21296@kcbbs.gen.nz> STT@kcbbs.gen.nz (Michael Clark) writes:
>One thing you forgot! the Amiga 500's originally were 512k, until recently
>when Commodore upgraded them to 1 Meg.

True, and the original A1000's had only 256k...

>Also to upgrade them to 9 Meg you have to get a card like the SIMM card
>which sits in the CPU slot! this allows you to add more RAM! it cannot be
>done directly onto the mother board.

Of course it can!  It's a hack of course...

At any rate, I have seen at least one 4(2?)Meg board which stuffs itself into
the mini-slot under the A500's belly.  That's a recent board which you may
not have heard of.

Also, to add a harddrive to an A500 requires using that "CPU slot," and most
harddrive boxes come with room to put your memory -- adding more memory to
an A500 is no longer as painful as it was in the days when I had one...

>--- From a Ex Amiga user.

Just clearing the air, no flames implied, and absolutely no support to the
"folks" who started this thread...

---from a current Amiga owner :)
David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu
"Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me

tinyguy@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) (10/03/90)

>sound program I have seen. And thats on a old ST.
                                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>--- An EX Amiga User

Be careful what you say..... It might create another war....

-TG

tinyguy@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) (10/03/90)

>which sits in the CPU slot! this allows you to add more RAM! it cannot be
>done directly onto the mother board.
>
>--- From a Ex Amiga user.

Again, since those days, it has changed a little. Now you don't even
have to open the A500 case to upgrade more than 512k memory. You can
either plug in a board in the old 512k slot or buy HD which can take
more memories.

Just stating the facts.

-TG

STT@kcbbs.gen.nz (Michael Clark) (10/03/90)

Well said,
I was getting sick of the ST bashing I had back in brisbane when I ran the
only ST BBS for the whole city and was surrounded by Amiga users.
But I wound up selling my Amiga 2000b so I could buy a 4 Meg STe to joing
my 2.5 Meg 1040ST.
As for sound, sure the Amiga has stereo sound, but quartet beats any Amiga