[comp.sys.atari.st] Tech Specialties

nelson@kodak.UUCP (Bruce Nelson) (05/26/89)

A member of our users' group sent a check to tech Specialities last December
for a memory upgrade. Despite repeated phone calls, letters, etc., Tech
Specialties refuses to ship the board, refund the money, etc.

Has anyone out there had dealings with these people? Is there anyone out there	who could intervene in our member's behalf? Details available on request.

Bruce Nelson, President
Atari Computer Owners of Rochester, NY

BAILEYS@FSU.BITNET (NOLES #1) (11/14/89)

Yikes,

     Well, I am glad I said something about the company before I bought

anything!  I guess an impressive catalog does not a good company make.

Thanks to all who responded for the information.

      Bob Marley               "To err is human, to compute devine,
                                  trust your computer, but not it's
      FSU Comp Sci                  programmer."  - Moris Kingston -

MCCABE@MTUS5.BITNET (Jim McCabe) (11/15/89)

Dom Alvear writes:
> I bought TWO (2) of their memory upgrades for my 520ST, and they
> DIDN'T work!  It seems the instructions for installation were
> misprinted, and the owner wouldn't (or didn't know) tell me!

I bought one memory upgrade from them, and although the hardware
works good enough, their service is so unbelievably bad that I feel
it is my duty to inform everyone else about it.   This is probably the
third time I've posted this info, but it's good to make sure everyone
new hears it.

>                    It took over SIX MONTHS (from Dec. '88 to July '89)
> for me to get the cases in working condition, and I STILL DON'T HAVE
> EVERYTHING PROMISED!

This sounds familiar.  They have a tendency to delay and delay and delay.
I ordered a memory upgrade from them, and after two weeks I still hadn't
received it in the mail.  So I called them up again, and of course they
are too cheap of an outfit to have a 800 line, so inquiring about my
late order had to be done at my expense.  I wouldn't have minded paying
for a call or two, if only they had told me the truth.

Tech Specialties are outright lairs.  They told me my upgrade was "in
the mail," so I left them alone for another week.  But it still didn't
arrive, so once again I called.  (This is getting expensive, on a
starving college student's budget.)  They said, more or less, "oops,
gee darn, we ran out of parts, and we never shipped your order after
all.  And, in the time since you ordered, the chip shortage has raised
the cost of your order to ...."  Great.  The guy on the phone was
actually angry at ME for wondering what the problem was.  They weren't
even going to tell me that they wanted more money!  Instead they were
just waiting for me to call them!

So, t.s. is slow.  And, they lie to you to cover up their screw ups.
And, worst of all, AFTER I HAD MADE MY PURCHASE AGREEMENT (an oral
contract over the phone), they demanded more money!!!  They already
had one check from me, but wanted another $20 or $30 before they'd ship
my order!

Being the young freshman that I was, I stupidly sent them the extra
money.  I should have talked to some government business agency about
them and tried to put them out of business.

Overall, I would stay as far away from Tech Specialties as possible.
They are crooks, and their hardware is just average, certainly not
worth the seemingly endless nonsense you have to endure to get your order.

-- Jim

seattle@hydra.unm.edu (David G. Adams) (11/16/89)

In article <8911150804.AA02823@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MCCABE@MTUS5.BITNET (Jim McCabe) writes:

>Being the young freshman that I was, I stupidly sent them the extra
>money.  I should have talked to some government business agency about
>them and tried to put them out of business.
>
>Overall, I would stay as far away from Tech Specialties as possible.
>They are crooks, and their hardware is just average, certainly not
>worth the seemingly endless nonsense you have to endure to get your order.
>
>-- Jim

I purchased my Tech Specialties 1MB upgrade from a local dealer here in
Albuquerque for $263.07 on March 18, 1988 for my 520ST.  This included
dealer installation and the clock option.

I have had NO trouble with the unit at all, and am recently thinking of
using the UPGRADEABLE aspect of this unit to move on to 2.5MB.

I see no problem.  Of course, I'm not dealing directly with Tech Specialties.
I am (was) very happy with the service my dealer gave me - if there was a
problem with the unit, my dealer would've taken care of it.

By the way, anybody want to buy my old 256k RAM chips?  I figure I can
make up about 1/2 the cost of my upgrade if I can sell them ($80/free delivery).

Dave

| seattle@hydra.unm.edu   |     Kirk - Mr. Spock, Eliminate his heartbeat.     |
| Dadams10@GEnie   LotE   | "Modern love is automatic"  - A Flock of Seagulls  |
| Seattle        Live it! | Don't bug the University  'bout nuthin' I've said. |

RICHARD@jane.uh.edu (11/18/89)

In article <965@ariel.unm.edu>, seattle@hydra.unm.edu (David G. Adams) writes:
> In article <8911150804.AA02823@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MCCABE@MTUS5.BITNET (Jim McCabe) writes:
>>
>>Being the young freshman that I was, I stupidly sent them the extra
>>money.  I should have talked to some government business agency about
>>them and tried to put them out of business.
>>
>>Overall, I would stay as far away from Tech Specialties as possible.
>>They are crooks, and their hardware is just average, certainly not
>>worth the seemingly endless nonsense you have to endure to get your order.
>>
>>-- Jim
>
> I purchased my Tech Specialties 1MB upgrade from a local dealer here in
> Albuquerque for $263.07 on March 18, 1988 for my 520ST.  This included
> dealer installation and the clock option.
>
> I have had NO trouble with the unit at all, and am recently thinking of
> using the UPGRADEABLE aspect of this unit to move on to 2.5MB.
>

> Dave

I must agree with Dave, I and several of my friends here in the Houston area
have the Tech Specialties memory upgrades and have been VERY happy with them.
The only problem that I have run into was a bad clock board on my first board
which my dealer replaced on the spot.

                                                     Richard Coggins
                                                     University Of Houston

iam@stbimbo.UUCP (Ian Mercado) (10/02/90)

I never did hear any info about these guys.  Does nobody out there in
net-land have an upgrade from them??  Specifically, I was wanting to know
how to go to 4 meg in my 1040ST from 2.5 and how to access the time on the
battery-backed clock.  Surely ONE of you guys has this upgrade installed.

(I know...don't call you Shirley)

Ian

iam@salestech.com
gatech!stiatl!iam

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (10/04/90)

Ian Mercado writes:
>I never did hear any info about these guys.  Does nobody out there in
>net-land have an upgrade from them??  Specifically, I was wanting to know
>how to go to 4 meg in my 1040ST from 2.5 and how to access the time on the
>battery-backed clock.  Surely ONE of you guys has this upgrade installed.

>iam@salestech.com
>gatech!stiatl!iam
----------

I have the 2.5/4 Meg Tech Specialties memory upgrade in my 520.
Currently its loaded for 2.5 Meg.  I have had zero problems with it.
It has worked flawlessly since installation.

The installation documentation that came with it was not so flawless
though.  It was missing a couple of pages (i.e. the flip side of page
3 showed page 6 where I expected page 4).  I was able to install it
with the info that was there and guessing where the other connections
should go.  It seemed pretty obvious at the time.

-Bob

| Bob Waltenspiel                   | AT&T: (707) 794-3091 (Telnet: 794-3091) |
| ATE Software Team                 | e-mail: bobw@hpsad.HP.COM               |
| HP Signal Analysis Division       | HPDesk: Bob WALTENSPIEL/HP5300/A0       |
| 1212 Valley House Dr.             | HP Mailstop: 1UR-M                      |
| Rohnert Park, CA 94928-4999       | GEnie: B.WALTENSPIE                     |
        "Maybe this is heaven." -Ray in the film _Field of Dreams_