[comp.sys.atari.st] Union Demo

daniel@hexagon.pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (06/27/90)

In article <1990Jun26.133606.4586@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
] ... ]
>spectacular.  Those guys should program professionally.  The demo is
>better than many commercial products I have seen.

Actually, they DO.  I think most of them now work for Thalion GmbH, a
German software company that mostly employs former hackers.

But I can tell you -- it's a long way between writing a good "demo" and
writing a good game.  You have probably never heard of their games,
though they are technically spoken excellent.  It's more to a good game
than that.  (Don't you like NetHack? I do, though it has quite poor
graphics...  ;-)

  [ two titles I know of are "The seven gates of Jambala" and "Chambers
of Shaolin" - check them out! ]

--
Daniel Deimert			   "Only use unneccessary force if neccessary!"
daniel@hexagon.pkmab.se			 ...!sunic!kullmar!pkmab!hexagon!daniel

AAron@image.soe.clarkson.edu (AAron nAAs) (06/28/90)

>>Some months ago I heard about the "Union Demo", a demo from Germany doing
>
> Apparently, it is HEAVILY copy protected.  It will only copy itself
> from a built-in copier that is part of the demo.  Therefore, it is
> very difficult to "crack" and send around via modem.  If you send

<Names and uninteresting stuff deleted>

The Union Demo REALLY IS a nice graphics and sound "experience."
But I doubt that the programmers had any intention of copy protecting it.
Why would they have put a built-in copier!?!?!  It seems that they just
wanted to get as-much-as-they-could on the demo disk, and a side effect was
that it wasn't TOS file compatible...

By the way, on my STe, most of the software overscan stuff in the demo make
those portions of the screen go haywire... (You should see what the full-
screen part of it looks like on my machine!!!)

This isn't a "nothing works on the STe" message either!

AAron nAAs
AAron@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (06/29/90)

Thanks to everyone who offered to send me the Union and other demoes! The
response was great, mostly from Europe, although I'll only need to send to
Seattle for it (I'm in N. California).

Perhaps it would be a good project for someone to hack the built-in program
copier to allow the disk to be saved to a normal file, then recreate the
disk elsewhere (for easier world-wide distribution!).

#  Bill Sheppard                   #   OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation   #   OS-9000: 4500 times better than...      #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

bastian@aragon.UUCP (Sebastian Hoering) (06/30/90)

In article <1644@mwca.UUCP> bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
>Some months ago I heard about the "Union Demo", a demo from Germany doing
>some astounding things on the ST.
That's true
>Probably because it uses a proprietary
>disk format, it doesn't appear to have shown up in any of the usual
You're right, but you can buy it from some PD-Pools
>accessible places (USENET, GEnie, BBS's). Can anyone point me to a source
>(PD Library, or I'll send you a disk...)? Thanks in advance!

There' a new and BETTER demo now, the TCB Cuddly Demo (also from the Union)
its much more impressive

Sebastian Hoering
	Bastian@aragorn.UUCP
PS: you can get both from any Software Pirate, too

lodzins@pilot.njin.net (Dean Lodzinski) (07/12/90)

I have seen the Union Demo.  It is amazing.  I was told that over 900K
of data is on the disk.  You have to run the demo to make copies of
it.  I don't think it can just be copied or arced.
--

Dean Lodzinski         DEAN_L@TURBO.Kean.edu, lodzins@pilot.njin.net
47 Mercury Circle      csra19@TURBO.Kean.edu or D.LODZINSKI on GEnie

ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Sep26.220024.12190@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

   But the Union Demo has a copier built-in that looks and sounds good.
   Why would you want to use any other copier, unless you wanted to make
   multiple copies?
Huh? The Union Demo's copier does read once write often, as far as I
remember. Isn't that enough ?

Greetings,
				RIPLEY
--
Greetings from RIPLEY | UUCP: ripley@tubopal.UUCP (ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de)
Hans-Christian Eckert |         ...!unido!tub!opal!ripley (Europe)