[comp.sys.atari.st] Audio in line on monitor port

edd232s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (d.c. 8747842 adams) (10/03/90)

 In the documentation that came with my 1040STFM, theres a pinout
on the monitor port labelled as 'audio in'. I havent heard of anything,
software or hardware that uses this, and I dont even know what it does,
if anything. Does anyone know what it can be used for, and if so how
can I go about it ?

 I was hoping thered be someway to digitise with it, with the addition
of little or no hardware support.

  Mithrandir.

In article <1990Oct3.064347.10203@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> edd232s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (d.c. 8747842 adams) writes:

> In the documentation that came with my 1040STFM, theres a pinout
>on the monitor port labelled as 'audio in'. I havent heard of anything,
>software or hardware that uses this, and I dont even know what it does,
>if anything. Does anyone know what it can be used for, and if so how
>can I go about it ?
>
> I was hoping thered be someway to digitise with it, with the addition
>of little or no hardware support.
>
>  Mithrandir.

I don't think this pin is even connected on current STs. At any rate,
the docs indicate that this line is mixed with the rest of the Yamaha
sound chip outputs. No Analog -> digital conversion, pure analog all
the way. In one port, out the other. No way to detect a signal on the
line, so I guess there's no way to synchronize digitized sound with it
either, so it's of pretty limited use...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip