[comp.sys.atari.st] Amiga v ST

tinyguy@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) (09/20/90)

>Yuk, just because it's got a copper and super-flickery modes doesn't
>mean its better.

 Copper is better than nothing.
 Super flickery mode also happens to be a very nice way to get 640x400
 resolution on a standard(non multi-sync) monitor. I'm sure lots of
 people can't afford one, so there you are. Infact, I have a multu-sync
 without the flicker fixer, but I can reset the initial color settings
 so that almost all the flicker disappears.

>In order to have a decent Amiga system you need loads of memory ( to run
>more than one program at a time), need more than one disk drive or a
>hard drive and a monitor to access the migrane-modes.

 True if you are doing lots of animation/ray tracing, but I think that's
true for any machine. Amiga certainly demands less then OS2, Windows 3.0
or Multi Finder. One meg is usually enough to run say, a Wordprocessor
and a modem software.

>Personally, I've never needed one of AmigaDos' biggest selling points -
>the multi-tasking, although I realise that all Amiga owners play
>Populous while they run massive ray-tracing sessions. (Well, actually
>you can't do both those things on the Amiga at one time but we'll keep
>quiet about that so that people think you can).

Aha! You think you don't need it. I personally thought that way also,
but since then, I've been using this 'feature' all the time, without
realizing it. For example, I use a terminal program to connect to Unix.
Usually, compiling takes long time for a big program. I can 'switch'
to my Amiga side, letting the Unix continue whatever it's doing, I can
get on with my own stuff. Also what do you do when you are copying
lots of files? I simply open another DOS window, and edit a file, for
example. The possibilities are endless. Once you are used to the
multi-tasking env. you won't live without it(well...)
I think I read something about TOS getting an upgrade so that it can
also multi-task. Try it, then tell me if you don't need it!

chu@acsu.buffalo.edu (john c chu) (09/20/90)

In article <4031@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> tinyguy@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) writes:
[Amiga information deleted.]

There is a newsgroup (actually, there are many) for discussing Amigas.
If you wish to write about Amigas, please use one of them. If there
are Amiga discussions on this newsgroup, please re-direct followups to
the appropriate Amiga group when you followup etc.

I'm new at using USENET and I already know this.

This post written purely for the purpose of re-directing the
followups.  (I had been waiting for the participants of the thread to
do so, but the thread continues, on the wrong newsgroup.)

Followups re-directed to comp.sys.amiga
Flames by mail, please.

					john
				chu@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu

entropy@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (enthalpy) (09/20/90)

In article <4031@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> tinyguy@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) writes:
   [...stuff about multitasking...]
   realizing it. For example, I use a terminal program to connect to Unix.
   Usually, compiling takes long time for a big program. I can 'switch'
   to my Amiga side, letting the Unix continue whatever it's doing, I can
   get on with my own stuff. Also what do you do when you are copying

This is not multitasking.  I do this all the time on my ST.
Multitasking involves multiple processes running on the same machine.
It has nothing to do with remote modem connections.

   I think I read something about TOS getting an upgrade so that it can
   also multi-task. Try it, then tell me if you don't need it!

There are several multi-tasking OS's available for the ST, in all
software categories (commercial, shareware, PD).  They are not TOS
upgrades from Atari Corp.  TOS is single-tasking.

Internet:  ncastellano@eagle.wesleyan.edu || entropy@ai.mit.edu
Bitnet:    ncastellano@wesleyan.bitnet
Citadel:   Sinkhole!dEADHEAd [@mast.citadel.moundst.mn.org]
Sniktnet:  snikt!entropy

dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) (09/20/90)

The subject line says it all. Come on guys! This Atari vs Amiga thing has
been going on since time began. I think Atari owners know the advntages the
Amiga has over the ST and Amiga owners know the advantages the ST has over
the Amiga. So why has all this childish "my dad is bigger than your dad" type
argument been going on for so long? I am an ST owner and think it's great!
I have a 1985 TOS, I work on a colour TV, have only one floppy disk and
1Mb. I am very happy with my system. I have friends who have Amigas and they
are very happy with their systems. Conclusion: everyone is happy. So, what's
the problem?

Simple things can fire up this argument. Recently the very simple Petra thing
was the spark that restarted the fire. Unfortunately this is one fire which
looks like it will always burn. There are some brief periods when it looks
like its about to die out, but then things happen, like new machines like
the Amiga 3000 and Atari TT come out and it all starts all over again.

When quoting 32-bit specs. Why not try to state the plus points of a machine
without saying "... but the ENEMY's machine can't do that"? Let people buy
a machine because it has the features they need rather than because an
articulate politician made them THINK the other machine wasn't as good. The
alternative is to maybe persuade someone to spend lots of money on either
a machine which has lots of fancy features they'll never use, or a machine
which does not have the fancy features they may end up needing.

Naaaah... From a network full of intelligent, responsible professionals, maybe
that's too much to ask. My old 1985 ST will always be better than your Cray...
because it's mine.

Dave.
--
% cc life.c                      | David Clear dac@ukc.ac.uk +44 227 764000x7592
% a.out                          | Local Area Networks, Computing Laboratory,

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/21/90)

> My old 1985 ST will always be better than your Cray...
> because it's mine.

And I paid for it with my hard-earned cash.

And I studied all available (to me) computer lit for months before buying.

And I think my machine's cool.

And I'm not about to admit that I was wrong!  Not me!  Never!

> Dave.

:-)  Couldn't agree with you more.  Turn off the flamefest, everyone.  Let's
get back to useful (?) discussions.

--

Regards
Ray Depew

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (09/23/90)

YES, PLEASE stop the Amiga STuff!
I PAY to read ATARI messages not the Amiga ones.

Ed<sufferin' from KILLER phones bills> June

gow@sakari.mrceg (Ed Gow) (10/01/90)

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) writes
> And I studied all available (to me) computer lit for months before buying.

The point is that there is no longer any literature available for the
ST unless you buy the $250 developers package!!!  The only INFORMED
decision that one can make is to buy an Amiga.  Doesn't Atari care??

> And I paid for it with my hard-earned cash.

And I am trying to decide whether to spend my hard earned cash on an
Amiga or an ST.  INFORMATION WOULD HELP!!!!

	-Ed
--
------	Ed Gow 	------  uwm!mrsvr!gemed!sakari!gow  -----------

		My opinions are NOT those of GE.
  MGB - The most fun you can have in a car without a back seat

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (10/03/90)

Ed Gow writes:
>The point is that there is no longer any literature available for the
>ST ...

That should tell you something right there...

BobR

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (10/04/90)

gow@sakari.mrceg (Ed Gow) writes:

> rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) writes
>> And I studied all available (to me) computer lit for months before buying.

> The point is that there is no longer any literature available for the
> ST unless you buy the $250 developers package!!!  The only INFORMED
> decision that one can make is to buy an Amiga.  Doesn't Atari care??

>> And I paid for it with my hard-earned cash.

> And I am trying to decide whether to spend my hard earned cash on an
> Amiga or an ST.  INFORMATION WOULD HELP!!!!

>	-Ed

I guess you missed the joke.  It was a joke!  A running gag, appended to
the previous posting (which was also a joke, part of the gag).

Sorry you missed the joke.  It *was* pretty funny, as net humor goes...

Regards
Ray

aimd@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Mark Davidson) (10/05/90)

In article <34496@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Ed Gow writes:
>>The point is that there is no longer any literature available for the
>>ST ...
>
>That should tell you something right there...

Even if Abacus has withdrawn its appallingly written books, aren't the
Compute! books still available and 'The Concise Atari ST Programmers Guide'
(I think that's what its called).

I you want to program the ST, buy a C compiler like Prospero's and get 1000
pages of info on GEM, VDI, AES, TOS etc..

Mark.

PS. Many apologies for not replying to any mail for the last couple of weeks,
my ed.castle account has gone! I'll hopefully get my mail file back soon...