[comp.sys.atari.st] gdb

sklug@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Steven Klug) (10/03/90)

I am using GCC for a project of mine and need to know how to use the
Gnu debugger gdb.  I'm using the version of GCC whose binaries are
on atari.archive.  I tried the -gg option but that didn't seem to
work.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mail to:  sklug@ucsd.edu

scheulen@gypsy.ims.fhg.de (Thilo Scheulen) (10/04/90)

sklug@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Steven Klug) writes:

>I am using GCC for a project of mine and need to know how to use the
>Gnu debugger gdb.  I'm using the version of GCC whose binaries are
>on atari.archive.  I tried the -gg option but that didn't seem to
>work.  Any help would be appreciated.

I see some problems whit the GDB
 1. I think it's quite difficult to run gdb because gdb asumes
  that the interface to the debugged programm is via ptrace call's
  that are UNIX special calls for debug processes.

 2. I am not shure if there is a version of gdb which uses
  relocation information stored in each TOS executable.
  you will have to rewrite GDB in some parts if no one did this
  already ??
   * would be a nice job

And some problems with gcc-ld
 3. you will need a quite different loader ( gcc-ld )
  to build symbol tables with source level debug information

 4. the option -gg is just a special case for GNU
      -g will also work to produce source-level debug info's
  but remember the loader i know does not support the extended
  debug information.

does any one know if i am wrong ???
 	Thilo Scheulen

In article <61@gypsy.ims.fhg.de> scheulen@gypsy.ims.fhg.de (Thilo Scheulen) writes:
>sklug@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Steven Klug) writes:
>>I am using GCC for a project of mine and need to know how to use the
>>Gnu debugger gdb.  I'm using the version of GCC whose binaries are
>>on atari.archive.  I tried the -gg option but that didn't seem to
>>work.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>I see some problems whit the GDB

>does any one know if i am wrong ???
> 	Thilo Scheulen

J.R. Dunning ported GDB to the ST a while ago. I don't think it works
with the current version of gcc though.

'sswhat you get when your vendor doesn't set a standard way to do certain
things; a bunch of different people take different approaches to solve the
problems...

Now that I've started playing with Mint a little bit, I'm beginning to
think about trying to build everything else around it. Question is what
to attack first. Gulam is the most useful shell to me, so I guess I want
that working with job control, but there's something to be said for a
Unix-ish shell (like Bash) being available.

I was really thrilled to see MGR running on my ST. This is really exciting
stuff going on here...

--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

millert@boulder.Colorado.EDU (MILLER TODD C) (10/05/90)

There's a korn shell clone (still under construction I beleive) at cs.uni-sb.de
int the pub/atari/tools directory called ksh.zoo.  It has full sources and will
compile under gcc or MWC.  anyone want to do a MiNT port? :-)

  -- Todd

|                 Todd Miller - millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU                     |
|           Meet the new boss, just the same as old boss - The Who             |