[comp.sys.atari.st] GFA-Basic and MiNT

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (09/29/90)

In article <5706470@merkur.gtc.de>, rodney@merkur.gtc.de (Rodney Volz) writes:
> ... A further problem is our UUCICO: it's
> written in GFA-Basic, does system calls, and is therefore not usable
> with MiNT.

MiNT is intended to support all TOS system calls. Does GFA-Basic use some
undocumented system calls? Or is there some other reason that GFA-Basic
written programs are not usable under MiNT? (If the problem is MiNT, of
course, that can be fixed.)
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            ersmith@uwovax.uwo.ca

rodney@delos.stgt.sub.org (Rodney Volz) (10/02/90)

In article <7198.2703dbf2@uwovax.uwo.ca> 7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) writes:
>In article <5706470@merkur.gtc.de>, rodney@merkur.gtc.de (Rodney Volz) writes:
>> ... A further problem is our UUCICO: it's
>
>MiNT is intended to support all TOS system calls. Does GFA-Basic use some
>undocumented system calls? Or is there some other reason that GFA-Basic
>written programs are not usable under MiNT? (If the problem is MiNT, of
>course, that can be fixed.)

Don't ask me if GFA uses dirty tricks, but in fact: neither RTX
nor MiNT did manage to run the uucico in background.

By the way; I use a Ram-based version of Tos 1.4, and MiNT does not work
properly, if I use GEM.PRG to have MiNT run "behind" Gem.  The desktop
seems to fail allocating memory for its screen setup, so I always get "0
bytes in 0 files"...

If I start MiNT the "normal" way, everything's okay. Even TeX runs
in the background! Wow!!!

-Rodney
--
                     Rodney Volz - 7000 Stuttgart 1 - FRG
 ============> ...uunet!mcsun!unido!gtc!aragon!merkur!rodney <=============

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (10/05/90)

In article <2658@delos.stgt.sub.org> rodney@delos.stgt.sub.org (Rodney Volz) writes:
>Don't ask me if GFA uses dirty tricks, but in fact: neither RTX
>nor MiNT did manage to run the uucico in background.

Well I'm trying to figure out what GFA is doing that causes it to
break under RTX.  It sort of works, but some calls don't seem to
work right.  It appears that GFA is fiddling with something in GEMDOS
which it shouldn't be, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I know GFA programs don't run on the TT.
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.uucp)	| "Yea I've got medicine..." as the
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| cookie cocks a his Colt, "and if