[comp.sys.atari.st] Mac Emulation

draxler@unizh.UUCP (draxler) (08/14/89)

Hi there,

I am new to the net, so please excuse my question if it has been answered
already...

Are there any legal problems in using a Macintosh emulator (such as Aladin
or others)? What I need is a quoteable source, no rumours! Maybe the legal
situation in different countries is different.. So what is it like in
Germany and in Switzerland?

If there are no such problems, which emulator is best? Which programs are
known to work, which programs won't work? How do I get my Mac data and
applications to my ST? Can I drive my Laser printer from the Mac software?
Can I read and write to Mac disks? Can I use my Atari Harddisk?

Yes, load'sa questions...

Reply by e-mail to Christoph Draxler: draxler@ifi.unizh.ch

oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) (08/16/89)

In article <305@unizh.UUCP> draxler@gorgo.UUCP () writes:

>Are there any legal problems in using a Macintosh emulator (such as Aladin
>or others)? What I need is a quoteable source, no rumours! Maybe the legal
>situation in different countries is different.. So what is it like in
>Germany and in Switzerland?

In order for an emulation of the Mac to work, the data contained
in the Macintosh Roms must be used. If the emulator is software
based, the data is contained in the program itself. If it is
cartridge based the data is in the (EP)Roms. The only legal way
to use the data in Apple's Macintosh Roms is to use the Roms
themselves. Period, end of story, in any country that abides by
international copyright laws. Eproms or software copies are
illegal.

	If that doesn't bother you the Happy Cartridge basically
states in their advertising that MAC roms may be copied and the
eproms used in the cartridge along with a pirated version of the
Spectre 128 software.

	If on the other hand, you at least try to be civil about
things, I recommed the Spectre 128. It does fully Mac emulation,
you can print with about any printer using Grapple LS as the
print driver (I recommend buying a driver for you specific
printer though, as I find the grappler less than optimal), use
real SCSI devices (if an interface, like on the back of Supra
Drives, exists that you can use), and so on. Dave Small, the
maker of the Spectre, has produced updates on an about 6 month
cycle, each one corrected bugs and added new features. The
support seems to be there.

	Finally, the hardware required to do Mac emulation on the
Atari. IMHO you need 2 Megs of memory and at least 30 Megs of
hard drive. You can get by with less, but....

	Hoped this answered your question.

	Brian

mh4x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Edward Hamill) (10/05/90)

Hi netters......

Just a few questions about the mac emulation on the STs.

First: What products are available and where can one get information on them.

Secondly:  What kinds of ST system setup are we talking about to inable
on to use these things.

Finally: (and most importantly for the applications I am looking for) Do
any of these emulations include support for the AppleTalk system
(Broadcasts, etc.)

Thanks in advance,

Mark Hamill
mh4x@andrew.cmu.edu