[comp.sys.atari.st] Pc-Ditto II

HEIMBIG@WSUVM1.BITNET (Bruce Heimbigner) (05/16/89)

Some one stated that because PC-Ditto is an 808x emulator instead of
80x86 that DosExcel would not run. This is incorrect DOS Excel
does run on an ordinary 8088 pc, true it is painfully slow, but a
turbo 8086 isn't bad. So I expect PC-Ditto to do ok with Excel.
Oh, another common misconception about DOS Excel is that ega is required
also not so CGA works but only in monochrome resolution.

It is actually Windows and not Excel that determines the requirements for
running Excel.  The yet to be release version 3.0 of Windows is said to
require an 80286 but I'll believe it when I see it and not sooner.
The current version of Windows is window/286 and windows/386 very deceptive
windows/286 will run on an 8088 or 8086.

Bye
 Bruce Heimbigner
Email:                    Snail mail:
 HEIMBIG@WSUVM1.bitnet      N.W. 324 True Street
OR                          Pullman WA 99163-3347 (USA)
(IBM:=International Business Marketing corp, they don't make machines
 they market products)  ***Hey, that stuff up there is just my opinion***

kclenden@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Kevin Clendenien) (08/31/89)

I got home today to find a surprise in my mail box.  Avant-Garde Systems
sent me my discount coupon for pc-ditto II.  These coupons are supposed
to be sent to all registered owners of pc-ditto.  They entitle the person
to buy pc-ditto II at half-price ($150).  There were a couple of interesting
things on the coupon.  For example: "NOTE: pc-ditto II is a user-installable,
solderless circuit board which clips inside your ST... pc-ditto II is
warranted only when installed in an Atari ST with no modifications to the
68000."  I had heard that pc-ditto II would plug into the cartridge port,
but obviously I heard wrong.  Also on the card was: "OFFER EXPIRES
AUGUST 31, 1989." with "PURCHASE OFFER EXTENDED TO OCT. 15, 1989." stamped
in red letters across another section of the coupon.  Thank goodness, since
I didn't get the coupon until August 30th.  I guess the coupons must have
been printed a while ago, and when pc-ditto II fell a little behind, they
stamped all the cards with a new expiration date.  Also on the coupon:
"Money order or cashiers check only, No personal checks or credit cards,
Please." and "Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery."  If you have questions
about pc-ditto II, the phone # on the coupon is (904) 221-2904 [9 to 5 EST,
MON thru FRI].  Thanks, Avant-Garde Systems for living up to your earlier
promises.  Rest assured that I will be ordering my pc-ditto II quite soon.
Oh, you probably already know this, but just incase, I have no affiliation
with Avant-Garde Systems, except as a satisfied user of pc-ditto.
kevin@silver.bacs.indiana.edu                             Kevin Clendenien

kron%aiki@Sun.COM (Kenneth Kron) (08/31/89)

I'm interested in getting pc-ditto II.  Any body got any discount
coupons they aren't planning on using???

Kenneth Kron
-----
These opinions don't even belong to me any more.
kron@eng.sun.com

paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (tmp Paul Moreau usenet acct) (02/02/90)

  Has anybody in this whole wide world got PC-DITTO II working ???

  I could run down to Computer Games+ tomorrow and pick up PC-SPEED
  if I wanted to but PC-SPEED does NOT support hercules monochrome
  graphics and I here that PC-DITTO II will.   I have both color
  and monochrome monitors and my monochrome gets 99% useage over
  the color (color for games only).
  If any body has it working I'd be very interrested in hering about
  it and the MONOCHROME support.

  THANX,  Paul
----
  .==========================================================.
  | ### ####### ###     |    N O R T H    | /==============\ |
  | ### ###     ###     |  A M E R I C A  |< An STC Company >|
  | ### ####### ####### |    (was CCI)    | \==============/ |
  |----------------------------------------------------------|
  | UUCP:  ...ccicpg!dl2!paulm   |      Paul L. Moreau       |
  |   or   ...ccicpg!dl1!paulm   | Diagnostics Software Eng. |
  |   or   ...ccicpg!paulm       |    Irvine, California     |
  `=========================================================='

stowe@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (stowe) (02/05/90)

In article <56432@ccicpg.UUCP> paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (tmp Paul Moreau usenet acct) writes:

>  Has anybody in this whole wide world got PC-DITTO II working ???

No one I know...

>  I could run down to Computer Games+ tomorrow and pick up PC-SPEED
>  if I wanted to but PC-SPEED does NOT support hercules monochrome
>  graphics and I here that PC-DITTO II will.   I have both color
>  and monochrome monitors and my monochrome gets 99% useage over
>  the color (color for games only).
>  If any body has it working I'd be very interrested in hering about
>  it and the MONOCHROME support.

We have PC-Speed installed in a 1040ST.  I don't know where you heard
that it doesn't support Hercules monochrome.  That's what we use with
it.  It does an excellent job.

We use monochrome probably 99% of the time as well, except for a few
games perhaps, and some graphics work.

We've been very happy with PC-Speed.

-=-=-                              -=-=-                                 -=-=-
stowe@silver.ucs.indiana.edu                    At night the Ice Weasels come.
-=-=-                              -=-=-                                 -=-=-

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (02/06/90)

Can compiler packages be used on these MSDOG emulators?
I was wonderin' 'bout Turbo C or the Zortech one.

Why not do a '386 'DMA box'? That way you COULD run UNIX & X Windows, no?

What can you REALLY do with the current products that are out?

Ed <wasn't there talk of an '386SX based emulator?> June

clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) (02/07/90)

In article <34908@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> stowe@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (stowe) writes:
>In article <56432@ccicpg.UUCP> paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (tmp Paul Moreau usenet acct) writes:
>>
>>  Has anybody in this whole wide world got PC-DITTO II working ???
>
>No one I know...

 A person in our user's group has successfully installed a PC Ditto II.
According to him, it has a Norton SI of 4.2.  He has a 1040ST.  However,
he noted that he has to use DOS 2.1 for it to work.  Anything above that
does not work because of the timing problem.  He recently received it,
so maybe AG finally got some working.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology :BITNET:%clf3678@RITVAX
    |||        ____________                         :GEnie: C.FREEMESSER
    |||       /___    /          (and 8-bit too!)   :USENET: clf3678@rit.isc
   / | \   ______/   /                              :        .edu
Call the A.C.O.R.N BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud :<-or my BBS

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (10/06/90)

In article <9064@ucrmath.ucr.edu> cierdain@ucrmath.ucr.edu (michael barnes) writes:
>Well, at long last I have gotten Pc-Ditto II to run.  On the advice of the
>replys that I got to my pleas for help, I set about making sure that the
>connections between the clip and the 68000 were solid.  Not wanting to solder
>it on (as I do not trust my skills in such areas), I bent the clip until it
>would not fit on anymore, then unbent them just enough to force the stupid
>thing on, and lo and behold! it worked!  Anyways, I just thought that others
>who might be having trouble with Pc-ditto II might be happy to know that it is
>possible to get it to work, and I also wanted to thanks those who responded
>to my post....

This is basically what I did on my 520, and PC-ditto-2 works, but when I
boot the machine the display sometimes shakes for a bit.  It settles
down after a couple of minutes and is usable, but this is an annoying
side effect.

It would have been nice having PCD-2 within a year or so of ordering it,
but it only arrived about a month ago.  I've now bought a Mega-2 and
have a PC laptop, so if anyone wants a 512 K ST 520 with PCD-2
installed, a colour monitor and double-sided drive, let me know -- I'll
let it go cheap.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577