[comp.sys.atari.st] Defragmenter for ST harddisks

ron@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Ronald J. Rangel) (09/21/90)

Help!

I would like to find out about a harddisk defragmenter for the st -
either PD or $$.

Thanks

Ronald Rangel

nelson@cygnus.Kodak.COM (Bruce D. Nelson) (09/22/90)

Hard Drive Turbo Kit from Michtron is an execellent de-fragger. It also
has a tar-like backup system and disk cache.

--
Bruce Nelson                            | Phone: (716) 726-7890
Rochester Distributed Computer Services | Internet: nelson@cygnus.kodak.COM

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (09/23/90)

I like the Beckemeyer HD defragger, many options.
Sorry, brain dead right now, as I'm usin' the '386, the mega STuff is in
 the other room............

Ed June

techno@zelator.UUCP (Frank Dahncke) (09/25/90)

ron@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Ronald J. Rangel) writes:

>Help!

>I would like to find out about a harddisk defragmenter for the st -
>either PD or $$.

Try MichTron's TuneUp! It's fast, efficient and reliable AND in can correct
software faults on your HD. I am in no way related to MichTron, I just like
their product.

>Thanks

A pleasure.

               Techno

--
| techno@zelator.UUCP   |||    Please do not e-mail from outside Germany ! |
| techno@lime.UUCP     / | \   Hardcore ST user !   ====================== |

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (09/26/90)

From article <1370@eastman.UUCP>, by nelson@cygnus.Kodak.COM (Bruce D. Nelson):
> Hard Drive Turbo Kit from Michtron is an execellent de-fragger. It also
> has a tar-like backup system and disk cache.

> --
> Bruce Nelson                            | Phone: (716) 726-7890
> Rochester Distributed Computer Services | Internet: nelson@cygnus.kodak.COM
> Eastman Kodak Company                   |
> Rochester, NY 14653-5219                | Standard disclaimers apply

Yes, but...... it has several nasty bugs 8-(.  If you back up with it,
*DO NOT HAVE AN ALTERNATE FILE SELECTOR IN USE*, or your backup is as
good as empty disks.  Bug # 2 (personal experience this one, the other
was from a review) *DO NOT USE THE "write history to disk" (or
something like that) AFTER YOU HAVE DEFRAGGED YOUR PARTITION*.  You'll
trash the partition.  You should *only* defrag another partition or
reboot after defragging a partition.  Bug #3, it does not support
large partitions, including the TOS 1.4 supported 32Meg partitions
(same 1K clusters as always 8-).  This is for my version dating from
summer '89.  I called to ask when these and other bugs would be fixed,
and haven't heard anything since.  Sigh, it's *so close* to being
great.  I still like it, and use it on my smaller partitions, but be
aware of the bugs.

Bob Pegram

Internet domain: pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
UUCP: uunet!uvm-gen!pegram

ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (09/27/90)

In article <725@zelator.UUCP> techno@zelator.UUCP (Frank Dahncke) writes:
   >I would like to find out about a harddisk defragmenter for the st -
   >either PD or $$.

   Try MichTron's TuneUp! It's fast, efficient and reliable AND in can correct
   software faults on your HD. I am in no way related to MichTron, I just like
   their product.

Does TuneUp! work with 32MB partitions?

Greetings,
				RIPLEY
--
Greetings from RIPLEY | UUCP: ripley@tubopal.UUCP (ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de)
Hans-Christian Eckert |         ...!unido!tub!opal!ripley (Europe)

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (09/28/90)

HARD DISK SENTRY is the Beckemeyer Development commercial
hard disk analysis, repair, and optimzer (de-fragger).
It is reliable and it works with large (e.g HDX 3.x)
partitions.   The retail price is $49.95.

HD SENTRY also includes a low-level disk sector test program
which will check disks for sector errors and optionally
mark them bad in the FATs.

	Beckemeyer Development
	PO Box 21575
	Oakland, CA 94620
	(415) 530-9637

--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.UUCP)	| "Adios amigos.  And, as they say when
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| the boys are scratching the bad ones,

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (10/02/90)

In article <RIPLEY.90Sep27182250@troll.cs.tu-berlin.de> ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) writes:

>Does TuneUp! work with 32MB partitions?
>
>Greetings,
>				RIPLEY

I don't know for sure, but I do know that our program HARD DISK SENTRY
does work with 32MB HDX 3.x partitions.
--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.uucp)	| "Don't call me Stupid!"
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| "No.  That would be an insult

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (10/04/90)

In article <RIPLEY.90Sep27182250@troll.cs.tu-berlin.de> ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) writes:
>In article <725@zelator.UUCP> techno@zelator.UUCP (Frank Dahncke) writes:
>   >I would like to find out about a harddisk defragmenter for the st -
>   >either PD or $$.

Simon Poole's DLII includes a defragmenter; I haven't used it so I can't
speak to its effectiveness. As a whole the utility is very complete,
however, and I believe freeware.

Of course, you can also copy all the files to an unused partition, delete
all files, then copy them back (if you've got the room on your drive).
Probably a safer and certainly a faster way to go...

#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (10/04/90)

In article <1710@mwca.UUCP>, bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
|> Simon Poole's DLII includes a defragmenter; I haven't used it so I can't
|> speak to its effectiveness. As a whole the utility is very complete,
|> however, and I believe freeware.

I used this tool until it crippled a partition. Now I don't use it anymore
for obvious reasons :-(.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

poole@chx400.switch.ch (Simon Poole) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct4.094055@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:

>I used this tool until it crippled a partition. Now I don't use it anymore
>for obvious reasons :-(.

And it's not my fault if people can't read, for obvious reasons :-(.

						Simon Poole
 poole@verw.switch.ch / poole@chx400.switch.ch / mcsun!chx400!poole

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct4.174845.25042@chx400.switch.ch>, poole@chx400.switch.ch
(Simon Poole) writes:
|> In article <1990Oct4.094055@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>
klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:

|> >I used this tool until it crippled a partition. Now I don't use it
anymore
|> >for obvious reasons :-(.
|>
|> And it's not my fault if people can't read, for obvious reasons :-(.

Of course I did make a backup before - if it is that what you want to point
out.

--

ripley@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (10/06/90)

In article <1710@mwca.UUCP> bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
   Simon Poole's DLII includes a defragmenter; I haven't used it so I can't
   speak to its effectiveness. As a whole the utility is very complete,
   however, and I believe freeware.

DLII has a nice feature: It can't handle directories with more than
96 entries. It would be nice to be able to save the analysis of a
partition into a file to save paper.

The reorg-utility doesn't like empty files.

Greetings,
				RIPLEY