[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 2.0 for the ATARI ST

basv@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (bas) (10/02/90)

I have seen TOS 2.0 for the ATARI ST. You must boot it from floppy.
It looks great. I have a question. When is it avaible on rom.
--
                    Bas v.d. Vlies
                    Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam, The Netherlands

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (10/03/90)

in article <2473@maestro.htsa.aha.nl>, basv@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (bas) says:

> I have seen TOS 2.0 for the ATARI ST. You must boot it from floppy.
> It looks great. I have a question. When is it avaible on rom.
> --
>                     Bas v.d. Vlies
>                     Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam, The Netherlands
>                     Technische en Maritieme Faculteit
>                     basv@maestro.htsa.aha.nl or ...{backbones}!htsa!basv

Atari has NOT released _any_ TOS 2.0 and especially on disk. If you have
a copy of a disk based TOS it is probably a pirated copy from one of our
subsidiaries.

I would urge you NOT to use this copy and destroy it. It's probably
dangerous. No telling where it's been and if it's an early version of
TOS 3.01 like I think it is.. then it is riddled with serious bugs.

There are no plans to release TOS 3.01 ( or TT TOS as it is also known )
for ST machines. It simply won't fit into the ROM space.

-- John Townsend				..ames!atari!towns
   Atari Corp.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (10/04/90)

basv@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (bas) writes:

>I have seen TOS 2.0 for the ATARI ST. You must boot it from floppy.
>It looks great. I have a question. When is it avaible on rom.
>--
>                    Bas v.d. Vlies
>                    Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam, The Netherlands
>                    Technische en Maritieme Faculteit
>                    basv@maestro.htsa.aha.nl or ...{backbones}!htsa!basv

Great.  Now it looks like there is ANOTHER program out there which is
stupidly named.  Not only is it a derivative work of Atari's
copyrighted material, but it's got a name which guarantees confusion
with official Atari products.

People, don't do illegal stuff, or if you do, PLEASE choose names which
won't make people think the thing came from Atari!  I think Claus Brod
can back me up on this one. :-)

mts10271@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/04/90)

	Is there any chance it may be released in a format bootable from
   a hard disk.  To ST owners with 2 or 4 meg, this would seem pretty
   reasonable.  It would certainly beat not having any access to it.
   Just a thought...

					Michael Stepniczka
					mts10271@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (10/04/90)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

>People, don't do illegal stuff, or if you do, PLEASE choose names which
>won't make people think the thing came from Atari!  I think Claus Brod
>can back me up on this one. :-)
8-)
To the author of the original note: Is there any indication in this
program for the name "TOS 2.0"? Maybe in its INFO box? Or where did
you get the name from? (The first time I heard about the new DESKTOP
the person I spoke to called it TOS 2.0, too. There must be some reason
for it.)

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (10/05/90)

In article <2320@atari.UUCP> towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes:
>There are no plans to release TOS 3.01 ( or TT TOS as it is also known )
>for ST machines. It simply won't fit into the ROM space.
>
>-- John Townsend				..ames!atari!towns
>   Atari Corp.

How about releasing a RAM version for the ST?  Lots of people would
prefer that to none at all.  If you made it bootable from a hard disk,
the time to boot would not be significant.  Maybe it wouldn't be so
useful on a 1M meg machine, but there are a lot of ST's out there with
2M or more of memory.
| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |

steveh@tharr.UUCP (Steve Hamley) (10/06/90)

In article <3146@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) writes:
>To the author of the original note: Is there any indication in this
>program for the name "TOS 2.0"? Maybe in its INFO box? Or where did
>you get the name from? (The first time I heard about the new DESKTOP
>the person I spoke to called it TOS 2.0, too. There must be some reason
>for it.)

There is a program that I have seen which appears to be just a replacement
desktop - not the rest of TOS. This installs in the AUTO folder and clicking
on the About... gives TOS 2.0 (C) 1990. This seems to have half the features
of TOS 3.x and numerous bugs (Can't select folder sorting properly,
occasional crashes, etc.) It also contains a full symbol table.

--
 /// Steve Hamley  ///  TQM Communications, BCM Box 225, London, WC1N 3XX  ///
///  ...ukc!axion!tharr!steveh  ///  steveh@tharr.uucp  ///  0426 911573  ///

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (10/06/90)

John Townsend writes:

>There are no plans to release TOS 3.01 ( or TT TOS as it is also known )
>for ST machines. It simply won't fit into the ROM space.

True... but... it *WILL* fit into RAM space... as more and more 2 Meg,
2.5 Meg and 4 Meg STs are available out in the world, why does it make
sense to prevent the ST from having the *best* possible operating system..?

BobR