[comp.sys.atari.st] FLIGHT SIMULATORS for the ST.

MV010320@NDSUVM1.BITNET (09/26/90)

What is the best flight sim program for the ST.  Does Sublogic support the
st with their flight Simulators?  Also where would I go about getting
software to emulate the PC? And hardware or software to emulate the mac
and how good are these emulations.  and lastly where would I go to find
a fairly priced modem for the ST?

                                                     Thanks

                                                     Thomas

erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (09/27/90)

In article <4679MV010320@NDSUVM1> MV010320@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>What is the best flight sim program for the ST.  Does Sublogic support the
>st with their flight Simulators?  Also where would I go about getting
>software to emulate the PC? And hardware or software to emulate the mac
>and how good are these emulations.  and lastly where would I go to find
>a fairly priced modem for the ST?

Well Falcon (an F-16 simulator) is one of the best. I believe that Flight
Simulator II is available for the Atari. You might also look at Battle of
Britain if you like older planes...lot's of fun.

Bob

rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) (09/29/90)

From  / MV010320@NDSUVM1.BITNET /  6:22 pm  Sep 25, 1990 /:

> What is the best flight sim program for the ST.  Does Sublogic support the
> st with their flight Simulators?

Definitely Flight Simulator II, from SubLogic.  Consider this an unequivocal
endorsement.  And if you get tired of FS2, then buy Jet from them.

SubLogic also has scenery disks to go with FSII and Jet.  Awesome.  To really
 get into it, find a copy of Charles Gulick's "Flying Flight Simulator," and
set it in your lap while you "play."  (Hey, man, this ain't no game!)

> Also where would I go about getting
> software to emulate the PC?

Stay away from PC Ditto II.  The mfr. went bankrupt.  Try PC Speed, or ??? the
other one.  I don't have sources.  (BTW, our PC Ditto II worked fine, once we
got it working.  But what a pain to get to that point!)

> And hardware or software to emulate the mac?

Definitely Spectre GCR, from Gadgets By Small, 40 W. Littleton Blvd.,
Littleton, Colorado.  (303)791-6098.  You have to obtain the Mac ROMs
separately.  Spectre is an elegant hack. I giggle with delight every time I
fire mine up.  GBSmall is a terrific little company, and I wish them all the
success in the world.  (They need all the luck they can get, now that Big
Green Apple is trying to shut down the ROM pipeline.  Buy your ROMs *NOW*!)

> and how good are these emulations.

Spectre GCR is fantastic, see my gushing above.  Liek I said, PC Ditto II
worked fine, but it was a bear to get going, and doesn't fit very well in
our classic 1040ST case.  I have no experience with the other emulators.

Spectre GCR lets you read/write Mac floppies directly in the ST.  It also
lets you use hard disks and printers.  You need a monochrome monitor, though,
and a copy of MacPrint if you're going to use a DeskJet, LaserJet or non-
Apple printer.  DeskWriter works fine.

>   and lastly where would I go to find
> a fairly priced modem for the ST?

Sorry, I haven't bought one yet.  Most people buy the Supra 2400-baud modem
from Supra Corp, Albany, Oregon.  Supra also sells HD's for the ST.

Check your local dealers, or mail-order houses for the best prices.
Good luck, and have fun with your machine.

----------
Regards
Ray Depew
HP Colorado IC Division
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

rcb@netcom.UUCP (Roy Bixler) (10/01/90)

In article <15330026@hpfinote.HP.COM> rrd@hpfinote.HP.COM (Ray Depew x2419) writes:
>From / MV010320@NDSUVM1.BITNET / 6:22 pm Sep 25, 1990 /:
>> and lastly where would I go to find
>> a fairly priced modem for the ST?
>
>Sorry, I haven't bought one yet.  Most people buy the Supra 2400-baud modem
>from Supra Corp, Albany, Oregon.  Supra also sells HD's for the ST.

Actually, you are not limited to manufacturers that make things only for
the ST.  Just buy what you think is the best quality modem at your price
range, because almost any external modem which attaches to an RS-232
port will work.  The same idea also applies for printers.  (The only
caveats I know of are mentioned in the discussion on the HP DeskJet's.)

Roy Bixler
netcom!rcb@apple.com

gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) (10/01/90)

Anyone remember a wonderful flight simulator for the ST that included
a Futaba controller (just the sticks/case)?  It simulated various model
airplanes *and* helicopters...  In real time...  Pretty cool!

Help!  I would like to find the company that makes these...  or perhaps
someone who is selling one...  The only big question is (drum roll please),
is will it work with an Ste?

Thanx.

Joe
-=-

--
/Joe-Gaudreau {ps-hacker juggler nice-guy add add} bind def
Fone:  (508)671-0461

STT@kcbbs.gen.nz (Michael Clark) (10/07/90)

Well the PC emulation can be done useing a software and hardware package
called supercharger. This has room for PC cards and emulates a XT quite a
bit faster than a XT runs. For the Mac side, you cant find anything better
than Spectre GCR from Gadgets by Small.

Michael Clark

 |  o( )  STaTus | The Atari BBS   | Node 1:+64-9-606-067 | PDN soon |
 | /  /\   BBS.  | in Auckland,NZ  | Node 2:+64-9-608-485 | MBBS V3  |