[comp.sys.atari.st] Q: spectre and 69MB harddisk

joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen) (09/27/90)

I just installed a 69MB harddisk and know I'm wondering if
it's still possible to use Spectre on this (non-atari) harddisk?

Has somebody already tried this? What's the spectre limit?

I'm still using tos 1.0, but I'll get 1.4 in 2 weeks. The
harddisk is a Rodime 3085S (?!) and the controller a 3000S.

Joep Mathijssen
TNO Institute for Perception    Phone : +31 34 63 562 11
P.O. Box 23          		Fax   : +31 34 63 539 77
3769 ZG  Soesterberg    	E-mail: uunet!hp4nl.nluug.nl!tnosoes!joep
The Netherlands         	    or: joep@izf.tno.nl

marclaan@neabbs.UUCP (MARC LAAN) (09/28/90)

Joep,
Onder Spectre kun je partities gebruiken die groter zijn dan de max.
16 Meg die onder ST-mode is toegestaan. In principe oneindig, of in
elke geval ergens richting 64 Meg.
Je kunt bijv. formtteren met AHDI van Atari, maar ook met Supra of ICD
formatters.Ik meen dat supra tot max 32 meg per partitie gaat.

 Staat trouwens gewoon in de handeleiding, pag. 94 ev.

---> groet van Marc Laan

***excuse for not using English to all foreign readers***

hojo@cbnewsl.att.com (HC Johnson) (09/29/90)

In article <1363@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl>, joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen) writes:
> I just installed a 69MB harddisk and know I'm wondering if
> it's still possible to use Spectre on this (non-atari) harddisk?
>
> Has somebody already tried this? What's the spectre limit?
>
> I'm still using tos 1.0, but I'll get 1.4 in 2 weeks. The
> harddisk is a Rodime 3085S (?!) and the controller a 3000S.

spectre will use any partition on any hard drive.
(There is some folk lore on the position ( 0 1 2 3 etc.
Use the last one on your hard disk).

Your favorite partition program may make them all TOS.  Don't
worry, Spectre will redo it its own way.

One thing to remember.  Most of the formatters assume the partitioner will
map out bad sectors.  Spectre (ala MAC) will not do this.  If your partition
has bad sectors in it bad things will happen later if its in specter format.

(I solved this for controllers using the Adaptec 4000 and 4070 by writing my
own formatter, and giving the adaptec the bad sector list.  It maps them out
at the lowest level, leaving the partitions error free.).

Howard Johnson
ATT BELL LABS
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

n160ao@tamuts.tamu.edu (Mark Lehmann) (09/29/90)

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (10/01/90)

In article <1363@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl> joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen) writes:
>I just installed a 69MB harddisk and know I'm wondering if
>it's still possible to use Spectre on this (non-atari) harddisk?
>

>harddisk is a Rodime 3085S (?!) and the controller a 3000S.

I don't know about Rodines, but Spectre GCR works fine with my Supra,
which contains a Quantum 80 Mb HD.  I have two 16 Mb Mac partitions on
the disk.  Earlier I had one partition on a Supra 60, that worked fine too.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (10/01/90)

hojo@cbnewsl.att.com (HC Johnson) writes:

>(I solved this for controllers using the Adaptec 4000 and 4070 by writing my
>own formatter, and giving the adaptec the bad sector list.  It maps them out
>at the lowest level, leaving the partitions error free.).
How did you do that? I always thought the Adaptec controller couldn't do
that because of a firmware bug - is there a trick?

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

hojo@cbnewsl.att.com (HC Johnson) (10/02/90)

In article <3139@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) writes:
> hojo@cbnewsl.att.com (HC Johnson) writes:
>
> >(I solved this for controllers using the Adaptec 4000 and 4070 by writing my
> >own formatter, and giving the adaptec the bad sector list.  It maps them out
> >at the lowest level, leaving the partitions error free.).

Sorry to put a dialog here, but it has general application!

> How did you do that? I always thought the Adaptec controller couldn't do
> that because of a firmware bug - is there a trick?

I have never heard of an Adaptec problem.  I have 2 Adaptec 4000A and the
Atari clone (in a SH204).  All of them properly accept the bad bit map
(could be called bad sector list) and map them out perfectly.  I know they
are doing it right because I have drives that completely died using the old HDX
and that is why I wrote my own formatter.

The Adaptec scheme completely maps out a bad sector, the sector numbers continue
in order, you just have fewer than the product of heads x sectors x cylindars.
The result is that ANY higher leverl program (partitioner) need not worry
about bad sectors.  (HDX 3.01 and other brands will play games with the TOS
format to work arround bad sectors; but MINIX and SPECTRE die.)

ps. this is better than my 6386 does -- it maps out a whole track for each
bad sector.

Howard Johnson
ATT BELL LABS
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (10/08/90)

In article <456357@neabbs.UUCP> marclaan@neabbs.UUCP (MARC LAAN) writes:

|    ***excuse for not using English to all foreign readers***

Concerning that article: A) you're excused.  and B) you could just
limit your "Distribution:" to Netherlands and that way the followup would only
be broadcast in the Netherlands..  Just specify `nlnet' or whatever
the Dutch News network is known as.

I am posting this reply since others might also want to restrict their postings.

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.