[comp.sys.atari.st] SYSMON bug with PoolFix4

jeroen@pluto.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) (10/05/90)

I've just discovered a bug in SysMon, which may be of a general nature,
that occurred when I tried to find PoolFix in my program list.

The trouble was: poolfix was in the table as " rul_Prg", but it really
should be "_OOL_Prg", were it not that SysMon knows about "_OOL" and
tells you it's PoolFix if it finds it.

Now why did SysMon think the XBRA-id of poolfix was " rul"?
Examining poolfix4 with a disk monitor, I found out it contained
some message ".. not following XBRA rules", of which the part
"XBRA rul" looks - yes! - just like a XBRA id (but it isn't).
So I guess SysMon just finds out which programs are hooked into
which vectors, and then searches the program's code for an XBRA
struct, thus falsely recognizing "XBRA rul", since it occurs
in Poolfix4 before the "XBRA_OOL" *REAL* XBRA id.

The fix I made was convert "XBRA rul" to "xbra rul"; I rebooted
the machine, and - voila - SysMon told me about a program
PoolFix being resident.

This problem may occur with other programs containing messages
with "XBRA" as a substring, if it occurs before the real XBRA
id; so SysMon really should check whether the id it thinks is
an XBRA id really is located 12 bytes before a routine which
adress is stored in some system vector.

I post this here, because I did not find a true email adress
of mr. Ivanovic (sorry about misspelling the name) in the SysMon
manual; for now we can all correct the bug in an ad hoc way, until
it is fixed in SysMon itself.

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (10/05/90)

jeroen@pluto.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) writes:

>I've just discovered a bug in SysMon, which may be of a general nature,
>that occurred when I tried to find PoolFix in my program list.
[Description of the bug follows]

>Now why did SysMon think the XBRA-id of poolfix was " rul"?
>Examining poolfix4 with a disk monitor, I found out it contained
Ahem, it is now called PFIX_CB. Please rename it. Thank you.

>I post this here, because I did not find a true email adress
>of mr. Ivanovic (sorry about misspelling the name) in the SysMon
Karsten Isakovic is his name; I will contact him for this matter.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

ki@tubopal.UUCP (Karsten Isakovic) (10/06/90)

In article <3151@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) writes:
>jeroen@pluto.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) writes:
>>I've just discovered a bug in SysMon, which may be of a general nature,
>>that occurred when I tried to find PoolFix in my program list.
>[Description of the bug follows]

Hello out there,

i haven't yet got your bug report, just the answer of Claus, but i can
figure out what it is. SysMon takes the string after the first XBRA
it finds in a memory block.
I will replace the sequence of calls, that SysMon first checks out
if there are vectors pointing into the memory block and get the XBRA
ID, if there is one. If no XBRA is found in the traps, it will search the
memory block for XBRA-IDs. (It is possible that another program
hooked into the trap without XBRA)

I was just preparing a posting of the new version, but i will first fix
the 'bug' and send SysMon 1.0.5 (with english docs!) tomorrow.

       ___
    __|___|__
     ! o o !
     \  ^  / ___ ___ ___ .  _________________________________________
  Kar \ - / /__   / /_  /| /   Any problems, need some tricks ?
       \_/ ___/  / /__ / |/        I can do it in a fix !

  Isakovic, Wilmersdorfer Str.82, D-1000 Berlin 12, Germany
             email: ki@bahia.cs.tu-berlin.de

ki@tubopal.UUCP (Karsten Isakovic) (10/09/90)

In article <782@accucx.cc.ruu.nl> jeroen@pluto.phil.ruu.nl (Jeroen Scheerder) writes:
>I've just discovered a bug in SysMon, which may be of a general nature,
>that occurred when I tried to find PoolFix in my program list.
>
>I post this here, because I did not find a true email adress
>of mr. Ivanovic (sorry about misspelling the name) in the SysMon
>manual; for now we can all correct the bug in an ad hoc way, until
>it is fixed in SysMon itself.

Hello Jeroen,

i have fixed that bug in the new version 1.0.5 that i just mailed to
`koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com`. I hope this is the right adress to
put something into `comp.binaries.atari.st`.

  - SysMon now works on the ATARI TT
  - many new fetures
  - the manual of the posting is in english

Karsten Isakovic          ki@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de