[comp.sys.atari.st] Surge protector switch

n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu (Perry Pederson) (09/29/90)

I've been playing around with having a surge protector's switch turn
on and off all of my hardware-- one flick of a switch turns on/off my
computer, monitor, modem, and printer.  Does anyone know if this poses
any hazards to my hardware?

Thanx in advance to a rather silly question,

     *****   *******      Perry Pederson:  email: n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu
    *           *			   GEnie: P.PEDERSON
     ****       *		           Voice: (206) 676-7177
	 *      *
    *****       *
     +++++      +
	  +	+	'I' before 'E' except after 'C'....
       +++	 +
      +		 +		... We sure live in a weird society!
       +++++   ++++++

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep29.082941.24436@unicorn.wwu.edu>, n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu (Perry Pederson) writes:

> I've been playing around with having a surge protector's switch turn
> on and off all of my hardware-- one flick of a switch turns on/off my
> computer, monitor, modem, and printer.  Does anyone know if this poses
> any hazards to my hardware?

I have started my ST system from the surge protector almost since I had it, but
I have had some strange feeling that it wasn't good for the computer, so I had
the monitor and printer turn on that way, and turned the computer on manually.

Now that I have a hard disk, I have the monitor, modem, and hard drive turn on
with the surge protector, but this is because the HD has to get up to speed
before I can turn on the ST.  I don't have the printer come on because they
zap a lot of electricity, so I leave it off until I need it.

                                Troy Carpenter
                        Department of Computer Sciences
                        THE University of Texas, Austin
                              psurge@cs.utexas.edu

"You're so open minded that your brain leaked out" - Steve Taylor

*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The best thing in life costs exactly that <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*

tipi@vivaldi.acc.virginia.edu (Lauren C. Howard) (10/11/90)

The computer store where I used to work always did the same with no problems
for many years (starting the computer, monitor, printer, ... straight from
the surge protector switch).
The owner said that he's seen switches on machines go bad, so this takes the
stress off the individual switches.

On the other hand, I just don't quite trust this method with my ST; so I
do all but the computer.

I've read in several places that it's not good to plug in a printer to
the ST when it's on; there's no buffering on the printer lines.  I imagine
this also applies to turning printers on with the ST powered up; them
surges is nasty little critters!

WANTED:  ST COLOR MONITOR FOR DONATION TO PRIVATE GRADE SCHOOL.
       take a tax-write off on it.  Just hit "r" to reply to this!

Thanx.