[comp.sys.atari.st] XLISP

nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA ("Norman R. Frech") (04/29/88)

Greetings:

Does anyone know if there has been and update to xlisp
version 1.4 dated January 1, 1985 which is available at lakesys.
Are there other lisps for the st close to the common lisp standard?

* flame on *

      I though David Beckmeyer's flame about Holy-Moses and Dr. Spock was
      absolutely hilarious and I nearly died laughing when I read it.  More
      is the pity, I feel it reflects the sentiment of many in the atari
      community.  I have been giving the praises of the 1040 to many
      of my co-workers but nevertheless one has bought an Amiga 500 and
      two others are seriously considering an Amiga 500 or 2000.  Wake
      up Atari before it is too late!  Atari needs to fix the OS now,
      give the blitter upgrade now, add a native mulitasking kernel now,
      upgrade the graphic standard to 4096 colors, or maybe we should
      all sell our machines and buy Amigas.

      Isn't this fun?

* flame off *

Regards, Norm Frech

<nfrech@almsa-1.arpa>

hakanson@mist.cs.orst.edu (Marion Hakanson) (05/03/88)

In article <8804291737.AA29979@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> nfrech@ALMSA-1.ARPA ("Norman R. Frech") writes:
>Greetings:
>
>Does anyone know if there has been and update to xlisp
>version 1.4 dated January 1, 1985 which is available at lakesys.
>Are there other lisps for the st close to the common lisp standard?

I guess it's time to post this again.  XLISP v2.0 for Atari ST, Macintosh,
and IBM PC is available for anonymous FTP on host cs.orst.edu, in the
directory pub/xlisp.  If the operators of the archives at lakesys.UUCP
will contact me, I will be happy to mail the ST stuff to them so those
without FTP access can get XLISP v2.0.

BTW, the functions that XLISP v2.0 implements are compatible with those
in Common LISP (of course, the object stuff is not in Common LISP).  But
XLISP v2.0 does not include all of Common LISP (in particular, defstruct
is missing -- sigh).

--
Marion Hakanson         Domain: hakanson@cs.orst.edu
                        CSNET : hakanson%cs.orst.edu@relay.cs.net

aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) (10/30/89)

Does anyone out there know how to call Gulam using the system
function in Xlisp v2.0 on the ST. It works fine on the Amiga Xlisp V1.7.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Davidson  (aimd@ed.castle.ac.uk)

n160ao@tamuts.tamu.edu (Mark Lehmann) (10/13/90)

To my AI joy, there is a nice LISP interpretter called XLISP available for
the Atari ST.  The XLISP 1.6 interpretter does wonders, but it is not fully
implemented.  The stuff that is implemented is great and has not had any
bugs that I could see.  The XLISP version 2.0 is fully implemented, but
things like trying to print a function.  Xlisp 2.0 totally crashes when I
use a fration or anything with floating point operations (which work under
XLISP 1.6).  When the XLISP 2.0 crashses I receive an error indicating that
XLISP was not compiled with the flag for floating point.

I tried to recompiled it with my Laser C compiler, but I don't have all of
the XLISP code for the megamax compiler.  I get errors on a command called
"overlay" which is not described in the LAser C manual.  Also, all of the
math functions are just plain missing for the Megamax compiler.  It looks
like other versions don't need the math functions, onkly the Megamax
compiler.

Please, would someone re-compile the latest Xlisp and uuencode it and send
it to me, or better yet, recompile it and then send it back to the archives
in Michigan.  Thanks.

Mark Lehmann
tmauts.tamu.edu!n160ao