[comp.sys.atari.st] atari.archive

brazil@pawl17.pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) (12/01/88)

Can anyone tell me where  the anonymous FTP atari archives are?
					-B

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (08/31/90)

	I've been trying to ftp from atari.archive
	(terminator/35.1.33.8) all day today, but never get
	connected.  Is there a problem there today?  As I said
	before, we've just changed to a Sun, so this may be
	the problem (except that I've been able to connect via
	ftp to the info-mac server out in CA).
	Thanks,
	Gerry

In article <1990Aug31.024622.1203@rodan.acs.syr.edu> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>	I've been trying to ftp from atari.archive
>	(terminator/35.1.33.8) all day today, but never get
>	connected.  Is there a problem there today?  As I said

I posted a note about this last week, you must have missed it.
The network numbers have changed, atari.archive.umich.edu is now
at 141.211.164.8. If your site isn't using the Domain Naming System
you should ask (no, *demand*!  }-)  that your sysadmin switch over.
It'll save you from this sort of hassle if you always use domain
names to refer to sites. (As opposed to numeric addresses.)

While I don't predict the numbers in Michigan changing again any
time in the near future, as a general rule - don't use static lists
of host names and addresses, use the Domain Naming System. Don't
use numeric addresses when you try to connect to places, use their
names and the Domain Naming System. You'll be happier for it...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

finleyje@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (James Finley (EMC)) (09/15/90)

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the Unix system and the user nets so I have a
question. I've seen people talking about somthing called Atari.archive and I
would like to know how to access this. Any help you can give me would be
greatly appreciated. Thanx

					James Finley

mail replies to finleyje@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

+  Jesus saves....But Gretzky gets the rebound. He shoots, He SCOOOORES! +

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (10/09/90)

I've received several messages from MAIL-DAEMON at uunet that it can't send
messages to terminator/atari.archive (host mailrus) - is everything working
normally? I've used both

 atari@atari.archive.umich.edu
   and
 atari@terminator.cc.umich.edu

but received the 3-day notice with both. Any suggestions?
#  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
#  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
#######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

In article <1721@mwca.UUCP> bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
>I've received several messages from MAIL-DAEMON at uunet that it can't send
>messages to terminator/atari.archive (host mailrus) - is everything working
>normally? I've used both
>
> atari@atari.archive.umich.edu
>   and
> atari@terminator.cc.umich.edu
>
>but received the 3-day notice with both. Any suggestions?

mailrus is one of our uucp gateway machines. it has suffered a disk crash
and hasn't been answering the door lately... However, uunet should not have
to rely on mailrus to get mail thru to atari.archive. You might try sending
your uucp mail to uunet!atari.archive.umich.edu!atari, though I'm not sure
that it will give a different result at uunet, given the behavior you cite.

Of course, now that I think of it, even if you *can* get the message thru,
uunet will probably rewrite the header to say from user@host.uucp, and
the mailer at atari.archive will try to send to mailrus to get it forwarded.
Oh well... No good suggestions for the moment.

--

n160ao@tamuts.tamu.edu (Mark Lehmann) (10/11/90)

In article <1721@mwca.UUCP> bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:

>I've received several messages from MAIL-DAEMON at uunet that it can't send
>messages to terminator/atari.archive (host mailrus) - is everything working
>normally? I've used both
>
> atari@atari.archive.umich.edu
>   and
> atari@terminator.cc.umich.edu
>
>but received the 3-day notice with both. Any suggestions?

I have also had trouble "ftp"ing from the atari.archive.umich.edu
archive.  I always get "connection refused".  I thiugh that the problem
was local, but I can ping the atari.archive.umich.edu machine showing the
the connection is active and that I should be able to ftp from the archive.
I think that the atari.archive.umich.edu machine is refusing the ftp connection
due to a UNIX permissions problem or something like that.

Mark Lehmann
tamuts.tamu.edu

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (10/13/90)

In article <8977@helios.TAMU.EDU> n160ao@tamuts.tamu.edu (Mark Lehmann) writes:

   >I've received several messages from MAIL-DAEMON at uunet that it can't send
   >messages to terminator/atari.archive (host mailrus) - is everything working
   >normally? I've used both

mailrus.cc.umich.edu has been down recently because of disk problems.  There
is absolutely no reason that your mail from tamu to atari.archive.umich.edu
should be going through either mailrus or uunet unless you are using a bang
path to route it.  in that case, the solution is simple -- don't do that.

if you forward the bounce message to postmaster@umich.edu they will be able
to give you the true, honest story.

obst: did you notice the discussion in the Amiga group about the Atari ST
emulator?

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
moderator, comp.archives
claimer: I do not work for the U of Michigan Information Technology Division.