[comp.sys.atari.st] Laser C V2.1 vs MiNT??

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) (10/08/90)

Has anyone run into any problems using Laser C V2.1 with MiNT? I'm
compiling from Gulam (not using their GEM shell) and the compiler gives
me two bombs. Also, I have a number of TOS-type utilities I've written
and they all cause MiNT to hang...

I wrote a simple program to print out it's own argument list as a test,
it runs under TOS and hangs under MiNT.

I'm using MiNT06 as posted to comp.binaries... FOLDR100 and MACCEL33 as
auto folder programs and have 2.5Mb of RAM.

Has anyone else seen this?? If so, is there a workaround? If the problem
is Laser I'm guessing it's in the cinit.o (initialization object
file)...

/* Kent Dalton                     * EMail: Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.COM */
/* NCR Microelectronics            *   CIS: 72320,3306                    */
/* Fort Collins, Colorado          * "This mind intentionally left blank" */
/* (303)223-5100 X-319             *    All standard disclaimers apply    */

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (10/08/90)

In article <KENTD.90Oct7182718@zappa.FtCollins.NCR.com> Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.com writes:

>Has anyone run into any problems using Laser C V2.1 with MiNT? I'm
>compiling from Gulam (not using their GEM shell) and the compiler gives
>me two bombs. Also, I have a number of TOS-type utilities I've written
>and they all cause MiNT to hang...
>
>I wrote a simple program to print out it's own argument list as a test,
>it runs under TOS and hangs under MiNT.
>
>I'm using MiNT06 as posted to comp.binaries... FOLDR100 and MACCEL33 as
>auto folder programs and have 2.5Mb of RAM.
>
>Has anyone else seen this?? If so, is there a workaround? If the problem
>is Laser I'm guessing it's in the cinit.o (initialization object
>file)...

I know that the Laser C shell is incredibly buggy. I know that Megamax
also had a lot of problems with its libraries. I would be surprised here
if the problems were in any way MiNT's fault, especially since Laser
has had problems even with different TOS versions.

Scrap laser C. There are much better packages available, some of them
for free.

David Megginson

/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /

joe@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Joseph T. Rohde) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct8.144159.12610@doe.utoronto.ca> david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) writes:

>I know that the Laser C shell is incredibly buggy. I know that Megamax
>also had a lot of problems with its libraries. I would be surprised here
>if the problems were in any way MiNT's fault, especially since Laser
>has had problems even with different TOS versions.
>
>Scrap laser C. There are much better packages available, some of them
>for free.
>
>David Megginson

I must whole-heartidly disagree with this.  For software
porting, you've got to go gcc/mwc.  BUT, for startup
development, you can't beat Laser C.  Fast compiling, and
unmatched debugging on the ST.

Yes, it has problems.  But like I said, I think it's the
best place for Atari development start to finish.

Joe
ps. I like MiNT too, and wish Laser did run correctly under
it.  Oh well.

--
:--------------------  rohde@eng.ohio-state.edu  ------------------:
:    He's dead Jim, you get his tri-corder, I'll get his wallet    :

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) (10/09/90)

>I know that the Laser C shell is incredibly buggy. I know that Megamax
>also had a lot of problems with its libraries. I would be surprised here
>if the problems were in any way MiNT's fault, especially since Laser
>has had problems even with different TOS versions.

I don't use the Laser shell so I've never noticed it's bugs...
Admittedly, Laser definitely has its problems but I've discovered
workarounds for all the library bugs I've seen, to this point.

It does have its good points: excellent docs, speed, a very nice
source code debugger, inline assembly, I got it used for like ~$80
below the average purchase price :^), etc.

But enough about Laser C. I think incompatibility with Laser C programs
(not necessarily the compiler itself) would be a serious hinderance to
MiNT? I'm sure a lot of stuff available out there PD and commercially
has been written using Laser C and hence MiNT will have a lot of
problems running this stuff.

>Scrap laser C. There are much better packages available, some of them
>for free.

Thanks for the advice.

In my eyes, MiNT has a lot of potential as a TOS replacement since it
has so many nice UNIX inspired features and still offers a degree of
compatibility and if that compatibility can be maximized while adding
the features people want everyone will be happier in the long run. So, I
think the best long-term plan is to get Laser and MiNT working together
at least stuff compiled with Laser, if not the actual compiler.

I'm willing to look into the Laser/MiNT compatibiity issue myself and if
any other Laser users have advice suggestions, want to help, already
have done some research, etc, let me know.

Also, Eric Smith, if you have any ideas on what's happening please say
so.

Here's a little additional info for those interested:

When in debug mode, MiNT shows Laser Programs malloc'ing 8K (presumably
stack), it then tries to grab some more mem and gets a message to the
effect of: get_region, no region is big enough or some such.

/* Kent Dalton                     * EMail: Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.COM */
/* NCR Microelectronics            *   CIS: 72320,3306                    */
/* Fort Collins, Colorado          * "This mind intentionally left blank" */
/* (303)223-5100 X-319             *    All standard disclaimers apply    */

ALBERT_DAYES@bdt.UUCP (10/14/90)

 It really depends what version of Laser C you have v2.01 is very clean versus
v1.01 it also works very nicely under Beckmeyer's MT-C or C-Shell it even
works with Mark Williams C's shell also Gulam ... the shell still has some
conflict (the laser shell that is) and so I like to use the MT-C shell for
much of my work.

 If you want to use a really nice intergrated enviroment on the PC Turbo C++
 has a wonderful shell with hypertext help which includes examples ... on all
functions in Turbo C++ ... also all examples in the help system can be copied
directly into the editor.