[comp.sys.atari.st] Elvis Problems

jensen@cod.NOSC.MIL (Layne K. Jensen) (10/11/90)

I picked up the Elvis binary that was recently distributed for the ST, and
am very impressed with the program.  As a vi addict, I can say that it is
certainly the closest to "real vi" of any implementations I have run across.

Now for the problem.  Elvis seems to leave residue in the system that causes
problems with other programs.  I first noticed that after using Elvis some
of my compiles (using the Sozobon compiler) would fail in strange ways, even
when the code hadn't been changed.  For example, after a reboot, a file
would compile and link with no problems, but as soon as I used Elvis (with
no changes to the source file), the compile would bomb, usually in the link
phase.  Also, my other version of "vi", Stevie, would no longer work.  It
would not "open the window", but would just wait until I stopped it with
a ":q<cr>" command, as if it was in open mode.

I have no idea what's going on, but it would make me feel better just to know
that someone else may have had similar experiences.

Thanks for listening,
--
Layne Jensen                           jensen@nosc.MIL
Naval Ocean Systems Center             ...!sdcsvax!noscvax!jensen

dmb@wam.umd.edu (David M. Baggett) (10/11/90)

In article <2339@cod.NOSC.MIL> jensen@cod.NOSC.MIL (Layne K. Jensen) writes:
>Now for the problem.  Elvis seems to leave residue in the system that causes
>problems with other programs.  I first noticed that after using Elvis some
>of my compiles (using the Sozobon compiler) would fail in strange ways, even
>when the code hadn't been changed.  For example, after a reboot, a file
>would compile and link with no problems, but as soon as I used Elvis (with
>no changes to the source file), the compile would bomb, usually in the link
>phase.  Also, my other version of "vi", Stevie, would no longer work.  It
>would not "open the window", but would just wait until I stopped it with
>a ":q<cr>" command, as if it was in open mode.

I've noticed a few quirky things about Elvis too.  (For one thing,

:g/foo/s//bar/g

causes it to crash hideously.)

The one thing I found a bit tricky with Elvis was getting the TERM
stuff set up right.  I found that I had to

	setenv TERM vt52

and

	setenv EXINIT "source e:\vi.rc"

to get Elvis to work correctly and read the .rc file from ramdisk.

One interesting thing to note:  If you have TERM set to vt52 Nethack
(Pl9) will _not_ work correctly.  Perhaps other ported programs use
the TERM type as well.  My solution was to make an alias "vi" that
sets the TERM, the EXINIT, runs elvis from ramdisk, then unsets
EXINIT and TERM when elvis terminates.  This solved all my problems.

I use Sozobon C (and make, etc.) and have not noticed any problems.
Maybe you're running out of memory or TMP space?  The fact that it's
dying in the linker may indicate you're running out of space in TMP.
I know that Elvis keeps a recoverable copy of the file being ediited
in TMP, but it's supposed to go away when you leave the editor.  You
might want to look in TMP after you run Elvis to see if there any
any strange files left over.

All in all, however, Elvis is very good.  Searches, etc. are quite fast
compared to other vi clones I've seen.

Dave Baggett
dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net

mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) (10/12/90)

I have problems with Elvis on my ST too... it seems I just caint stop it
from playing "Hound Dog" every time I use my sampling software...

:-)  :-)  :-)

(Yes, I know I'm tying up valuable net time with this inane commentary
but I couldn't help myself.)

|\/|ike Greelish
Carnegie Mellon U. undergrad
...with an overactive sense of humor

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (10/12/90)

David M. Baggett quotes:
> 			Layne K. Jensen, who says:
>>Now for the problem.  Elvis seems to leave residue in the system that causes
>>problems with other programs. ......(omitted)

Then Dave speculates on the cause of the problem (see his posting) and
tells about his setup.

> Dave Baggett
> dmb%wam.umd.edu@uunet.uu.net

Thanks for all the info guys.  While I have Elvis, I haven't played
with it yet, being more of an Emacs guy, but I have played with Stevie
(the version posted in c.b.a.s earlier this year) to learn vi better
and have found one annoying bug when using it in my setup.  I have TOS
1.4, and run the 2 patches for it, along with a lot of other auto
programs and DAs (mostly in Multidesk).  I will be eliminating most
all of the auto load stuff tonight, but want to know about any
documented problems with Stevie.  My problem?  Stevie won't :!q when I
ask it to (a major bug for a guy who depends on that command to keep
him out of trouble 8-) it prints out something *like* : "Hit Return to
continue" and then repaints the screen, I can _only_ quit after I have
written the file out.  What's the problem and what's the solution?  If
the sources came on c.s.a.s, I probably have them, and I have Laser C.

thanks,
	Bob Pegram

Internet: pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
UUCP: uunet!uvm-gen!pegram