[comp.sys.atari.st] High density 3-1/2" disks

handy@trou51.enet.dec.com (Garden Gnome) (10/11/90)

I have managed to purchase two new 3-1/2" floppy disk drives for my
Atari 1040STf.  I don't know if the disk drives are high density or not, but
they were manufactured by Mitsubishi and Chinon in December 1988.

What is the best way for get them to work with my ST?  I have the old TOS
installed.  Does TOS 1.4 support high density diskettes?

Much appreciated

Lyndon Handy

jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) (10/14/90)

In article <1962@mountn.dec.com> handy@trou51.enet.dec.com (Garden Gnome) writes:

 >I have managed to purchase two new 3-1/2" floppy disk drives for my
 >Atari 1040STf.  I don't know if the disk drives are high density or not, but
 >they were manufactured by Mitsubishi and Chinon in December 1988.
 >
 >What is the best way for get them to work with my ST?  I have the old TOS
 >installed.  Does TOS 1.4 support high density diskettes?

No, you need a disk driver for this. Even worse, though, is that the ST
hardware is not fast enough for the 1.44MB format.  You have to replace
something in the ST disk controller mechanism for this to work, as well as
getting the disk driver.  I've seen some company marketing a kit that will
let you do this.

---jb

bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Luneski) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct13.201738.5947@rodan.acs.syr.edu> jfbruno@rodan.acs.syr.edu (John Bruno) writes:
>In article <1962@mountn.dec.com> handy@trou51.enet.dec.com (Garden Gnome) writes:
> >
>No, you need a disk driver for this. Even worse, though, is that the ST
>hardware is not fast enough for the 1.44MB format.  You have to replace
>something in the ST disk controller mechanism for this to work, as well as
>getting the disk driver.  I've seen some company marketing a kit that will
>let you do this.

DreamPark Development in Utah ((801) 943-4370) sells both 1.44 meg boards
and boards with drives if you don't already have a high density drive.
Installation by a qualified technician is recommended unless you are a
competant hardware hacker since installation involves cutting out the
WD1772 controller chip, soldering a socet in it's place, and running
several drive select lines from the sound chip to the new disk controller
board. Install an autofolder driver and away you go.

Mine has worked flawlessly since I installed it several months ago. Very
nice since because of the 2x data transfer rate of the high density drive,
not only do your floppies hold twices as much data, but the read and write
twice as fast.

I am not in any way connected with DreamPark Development.

 ____                                                                    ____
/\/\/\    Bob Luneski                                                   /\/\/\
\/\/\/    Diamond Back II Support Hotlines:  bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM   \/\/\/
 \/\/     Genie: B.LUNESKI1  CompuServe: 76635,2310                      \/\/
  \/                                                                      \/

randyh@hpsad.HP.COM (Randy Hosler) (10/18/90)

/ hpsad:comp.sys.atari.st / bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Luneski) /  9:07 am  Oct 15, 1990 /

>DreamPark Development in Utah ((801) 943-4370) sells both 1.44 meg boards
>and boards with drives if you don't already have a high density drive.

>/\/\/\    Bob Luneski                                                   /\/\/\
>\/\/\/    Diamond Back II Support Hotlines:  bluneski@pogo.WV.TEK.COM   \/\/\/
> \/\/     Genie: B.LUNESKI1  CompuServe: 76635,2310                      \/\/

Do you have any prices that you can give us?

-----
Randy