[comp.sys.atari.st] Old Western Electric modem

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (10/16/90)

Hello all,

I inherited an old modem and I'm trying to get it working with my ST.  Can
anybody out there help me with it?

The modem is an old Western Electric 1200-bps modem, connected to a
touch-tone desk set.  The label on the bottom of the modem says:

	-------------------------------------
	|                                   |
	|   470W2 DATA MOUNTING             |
	|   P/O DATA SET 212AW OR ARW TYPE  |
	|   SERIES 1          1V MG 78      |
	|                                   |
	-------------------------------------

(I assume that the "1V MG 78" is a date code, and that the modem is
about 12 years old...?)

There are 5 pushbutton toggle switches on the front:

	AL  ST  RDL  DL  HS

There are 8 indicator lights on the front:

	MB  TR  MR  SD  RD  HS  MC  TM

The lights can be turned on in various combinations, depending on how you set
the swtiches.  Not all the lights come on at once.

I have tried several different switch combinations (less than 2^5 - 1) and
haven't yet been able to connect to any local BBS's.  Any help anyone could
give me would be appreciated.  I'll gladly pay for a photocopy of the original
manual, even.

Please reply by email, as this is of limited interest to the rest of the net.

Many thanks
Ray Depew
HP Colorado IC Division
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) (10/18/90)

In article <7340010@hpfcso.HP.COM>, rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
> Hello all,
>
> I inherited an old modem and I'm trying to get it working with my ST.  Can
> anybody out there help me with it?
>
> The modem is an old Western Electric 1200-bps modem, connected to a
> touch-tone desk set.  The label on the bottom of the modem says:

[...stuff deleted...]

If the modem is that old (oops, deleted the part of 78 in the date code),
it's only good for parts if you're a hardware hacker.  I've got a bunch of
old 1200 baud Novation modems which are not compatible with *anything* in
today's market.  They used a half-duplex line protocol of sort if I recall
corectly.

Spend your money on a new modem instead of photocopies of an antique; you'll
be happier.

> Many thanks
> Ray Depew
> HP Colorado IC Division
> rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

you're welcome.
Regards (to your modem too :^)
Pierre

P.S.:  If you want to look after the cross-border paperwork and pay for the
shipping, I'll send you all my old modems.  They could use a decent burial
away from the cold temperatures which most of their components can't stand.
:^)  :^)
Pierre Fortin       Bell-Northern Research     I know, my postings are
Internet Systems    P.O.Box 3511, Stn C        terse and humourless. So?
(613)763-2598       Ottawa, Ontario            RIP: aptly named protocol
fortinp@bnr.ca      Canada    K1Y 4H7          AppleTalk: Adam&Eve's design