[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Copyrights on TOS ;-)

Bill_von_Hagen@transarc.com (10/17/90)

I can understand Atari's interest in holding on to its TOS copyrights.  If
they didn't, Sun and AT&T would probably discard UNIX in favor of TOS,
which is such a great operating system.  MS-DOS would certainly go away
also, as well as AmigaOS.  I mean, who wouldn't want a graphical, somewhat
buggy OS that can only be expanded by replacing ROMS?

;-))))))

muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers /100000) (10/17/90)

Bill_von_Hagen@transarc.com writes:

>I can understand Atari's interest in holding on to its TOS copyrights.  If
>they didn't, Sun and AT&T would probably discard UNIX in favor of TOS,
>which is such a great operating system.  MS-DOS would certainly go away
>also, as well as AmigaOS.  I mean, who wouldn't want a graphical, somewhat
>buggy OS that can only be expanded by replacing ROMS?

Not to defend TOS, but the fact that inly ROMS can be used is a hardware
matter, not of TOS.
By the way if I could choose I would prefer TOS over MS-DOS for sure.

--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         nmutsaer@ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl

scott@tab00.larc.nasa.gov (Scott Yelich) (10/18/90)

>Not to defend TOS, but the fact that inly ROMS can be used is a hardware
>matter, not of TOS.
>By the way if I could choose I would prefer TOS over MS-DOS for sure.

Yeah, what about taking all the old roms and making thoe chip
bugs/friends/animals out of them?
``Yo,  Amigo, wanna buy a neat chip-creature?  We named them TOS...''
But that's most likely illegal too and the chips probably have to be destroyed.

--
Signature follows. [Skip now]

 Scott D. Yelich                         scott@[xanth.]cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''
 Administrator of:    Game-Design requests to <game-design-request@cs.odu.edu>
 ODU/UNIX/BSD/X/C/ROOT/XANTH/CS/VSVN/

marten@tpki.toppoint.de (Marten Feldtmann) (10/19/90)

In article <kb74Zov0Bwwu03hoQe@transarc.com> Bill_von_Hagen@transarc.com writes:

>also, as well as AmigaOS.  I mean, who wouldn't want a graphical, somewhat
>buggy OS that can only be expanded by replacing ROMS?
 ^^^^^
  Wonderful, :-))))), I've bought 1.2 ROMs und 1.4 ROMs -- how much
money do I have to spend in the future to get a good OS for my
computer?

  Atari should release this OS as PD and I hope, that we get a good OS
by the hackers here in Germany during a the next year. ;-))))))))))

  Sometimes I think, I should burn most off my OS-9 OS into my ROMs and
remove all the TOS-stuff.

  Marten

    Marten Feldtmann, Eckernfoerder Str.83, 2300 Kiel 1, West-Germany
             DNET/EUNET/USENET/SUBNET: marten@tpki.toppoint.de
      Please keep your replies short - I have to pay for them